Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Austin fired
I ASSUMED that Austin gets the axe, just a matter of how fast. If you have record setting levels of SUCK despite actually have pretty decent talent......then it's inevitable.

I did NOT join those wanting Marvin fired but..........NOW? I'd say it's on the table. Replacing ANY coach midseason is not ideal. A DC in his first year? Well.....what ya got to lose? I'd guess Marvin finishes this season , then, that probably is it. With our injuries iot was likely we'd be impacted. A MELTDOWN? That's something else.
Reply/Quote
Had to be done, and I at least commend the organization for making the move.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
This defense is really bad, so I agree with the Austin firing. But...are you ready for this? Why doesn't the offense get any blame? Each time the Saints scored, didn't they kickoff and give the ball back to the offense? How much did the offense move the ball to answer a Saints score or to help give the our defense a break or a rest? Hmmm...
Reply/Quote
Hire Del Rio, please
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:42 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: This defense is really bad, so I agree with the Austin firing. But...are you ready for this? Why doesn't the offense get any blame? Each time the Saints scored, didn't they kickoff and give the ball back to the offense? How much did the offense move the ball to answer a Saints score or to help give the our defense a break or a rest? Hmmm...

The offense should get plenty of the blame. You have to be able to win a shootout against these elite teams like KC and NO. And for the most part our offense shit the bed both games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:42 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: This defense is really bad, so I agree with the Austin firing. But...are you ready for this? Why doesn't the offense get any blame? Each time the Saints scored, didn't they kickoff and give the ball back to the offense? How much did the offense move the ball to answer a Saints score or to help give the our defense a break or a rest? Hmmm...

By their third possession they were already down 21-7. That’s very demoralizing for any team. They got out of their game plan. The Saints has 10 drives. They scored a td on 6 of them, and 3 fgs. The one drive they didn’t score on ended the game. The bengals answered in the very beginning and the Defense allowed the saints to go right back down the field and score. Bengals then flipped field position the next drive and on pinned Saints down to their 10, what did our defense do then? Oh yeah let them go 90 yards and score. This is the last game you can put any blame on the offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:34 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Had to be done, and I at least commend the organization for making the move.

Exactly. Where we go from here is up in the air. But at least we are doing something. I was doubtful they would fire Austin today just because of the past. Glad to see them take action. Now we get to see what Merv (like him or not) can do in getting this D into a somewhat competitive state. Also, moves like this seem to motivate the players and sends a wake up call. Exactly what this offense needs. Regardless of how good a DC a person is, if your guys are missing tackles and making poor judgement calls, your going to look bad. Austin was here long enough to fix these flaws and they are not new. They looked good at tackling at the start of the season, then fell off a cliff. Seems like he lost control.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:42 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: This defense is really bad, so I agree with the Austin firing.  But...are you ready for this?  Why doesn't the offense get any blame?  Each time the Saints scored, didn't they kickoff and give the ball back to the offense?  How much did the offense move the ball to answer a Saints score or to help give the our defense a break or a rest?  Hmmm...

Nobody is giving the offense a full pass.  They absolutely needed to play better.  

Having said that, it's a cause-and-effect thing.  This defense allowed the Saints to score on every single possession.  It's asking A LOT of any offense to go toe-to-toe with that kind of production.  Even if Dalton and the offense played better, I don't think they've ever scored 50+ points in a game during the Dalton/Green era.  The defense needs to keep the team in a position to win the game without having to set franchise records to do so.
Reply/Quote
I believe Chuck Bresnahan is available
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The offense should get plenty of the blame. You have to be able to win a shootout against these elite teams like KC and NO. And for the most part our offense shit the bed both games.

True story.   To rack up 10 points against KC and 14 against the Saints is tragic.

I was at the game and am not the most reliable witness.   But my impression was that the only time the QB took snaps under center was when we ran the ball - so we unnecessarily telegraphed our run plays and all they had to do was load the box.

Hopkins is a better center than guard

Andy needs to stop underthrowing his long balls - particularly with Ross, but he does the same with AJ

There were some really nicely designed plays by Lazor - some nifty screens and the RPO with Driscoll.   But after the scripted plays there was no sense of an overall game plan to execute.

And it looked like they benched Mixon at the end of the first half.   Don't know what that was about.

The overarching feeling with this team is that no one really has a good vision for what we need to be doing and how we're supposed to adjust to the opponent's adjustments.  

And they are the worst tackling team I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 11:53 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Happy he’s gone by in reality he’s just another Marvin Lewis scapegoat. We just keep beating around the bush of not firing Marvin Lewis. We fired Zampese last year and now Austin. This offseason we brought in all new coaches expect for Lewis. The head coach is the problem it’s obviously but we keep window dressing with assistant coaches we need to tear down the foundation and rebuild the house.

Exactly....couldn't have said better. The disease starts at the top, from the chowder head owner and trickles down to his patsy coach who im sure is laughing eachtime he sees his direct deposit come through his bank account for being the 'head coach"  of this debacle.
Reply/Quote
The tackling continues to be sickening.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:53 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Nobody is giving the offense a full pass.  They absolutely needed to play better.  

Having said that, it's a cause-and-effect thing.  This defense allowed the Saints to score on every single possession.  It's asking A LOT of any offense to go toe-to-toe with that kind of production.  Even if Dalton and the offense played better, I don't think they've ever scored 50+ points in a game during the Dalton/Green era.  The defense needs to keep the team in a position to win the game without having to set franchise records to do so.

This.  The offense was putrid yesterday, no doubt to it.  Having said that, if they had played lights out, they probably still lose something like 51-28 or so.  The offense was bad, but got knocked out of their gameplan as a result of the defense literally being turnstiles.  It was pretty much like the KC game, save for Mixon actually playing well yesterday, all things considered.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Right. You get behind by 4 touchdowns (hell even 3), and suddenly you have to start moving away from the run game. The more pass attempts you have to make, and the more cavalier you have to be, the more likely you are to have a turnover.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 11:54 AM)Trademark Wrote: Hue is an offense coach, lay off the drugs

Lol
Reply/Quote
We all knew the offense was likely to struggle this season given the OL issues. To me, the offense has held up and Dalton himself has salvaged a few wins with late drives. The offense with no AJ, a weak OL and a useless Ross is not going to do much.

No one expected the D to be a train wreck. it is an extreme understatement to say the D has under performed. Worst ever is no small feat to accomplish. Another notch on the bed post at the seniors home for Mikey.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:09 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Right.  You get behind by 4 touchdowns (hell even 3), and suddenly you have to start moving away from the run game.  The more pass attempts you have to make, and the more cavalier you have to be, the more likely you are to have a turnover.

Yep.....or receivers are just blanketed and you have nowhere to go.  With Boyd drawing most of the coverage, and no AJ Green to win jump balls, you're pretty limited on what you can do.  Boyd just doesn't beat that kind of attention.  He's very good with a guy like AJ to compliment him, but when he's the focus of the defense, he's not going to have many wins.  There's nothing wrong with that, he's an EXCELLENT #2 option....and he may continue to develop into a guy that can do that, but right now, he's not that man.

Reply/Quote
Last week, I think Mo Egger and Tony Pike went over the total # of targets and receptions by our receiving corps, and after Green and Boyd it falls off a cliff.

So you double cover Boyd and who's left? Ross is comically unreliable, Core has hands of stone, Tate's gotten zero in-game reps outside of preseason, Malone was out, Erickson is a dependable possession receiver but not much else.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:14 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: We all knew the offense was likely to struggle this season given the OL issues. To me, the offense has held up and Dalton himself has salvaged a few wins with late drives. The offense with no AJ, a weak OL and a useless Ross is not going to do much.

No one expected the D to be a train wreck. it is an extreme understatement to say the D has under performed. Worst ever is no small feat to accomplish. Another notch on the bed post at the seniors home for Mikey.

Speaking of Ross, I know AD missed a few throws to him, but two plays stood out to me.  Late in the game, Dalton misfired under pressure and threw low and outside to him.....he could have attempted a dive at the ball, but he just breaks into a trot.  At first glance, I thought he had no chance, but I rewound it.  Had he laid out for it, he at least gets a hand on the ball, and maybe a circus catch.  Also, on the late pick off of the deflection, the ball was in the air forever, and he never comes back toward the ball. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of 51-14, but that kind of stuff shows no heart to me.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Speaking of Ross, I know AD missed a few throws to him, but two plays stood out to me.  Late in the game, Dalton misfired under pressure and threw low and outside to him.....he could have attempted a dive at the ball, but he just breaks into a trot.  At first glance, I thought he had no chance, but I rewound it.  Had he laid out for it, he at least gets a hand on the ball, and maybe a circus catch.  Also, on the pick 6, the ball was in the air forever, and he never comes back toward the ball. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of 51-14, but that kind of stuff shows no heart to me.

Interesting observations. Given he has no heart, i suggest we move him to the D where he will feel more at home. 

Reply/Quote