Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Bengals head to London in 2016
(11-26-2015, 11:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You do realize we have made the playoffs by exactly one regular win 3 of the 4 years AD was the QB correct.

If one win becomes a loss, we miss the playoffs 3 of the 4 years.

Oy, this is grand.  You defend Mike Brown saving money by not building an indoor practice facility (let those spoiled rotten millionaires play in the snow all week!).  You criticize Carson Palmer and other Bengals players for being critical of Mike Brown's cheapness getting in the way of winning.  Then the first time ol' Mikey boy makes a decision that affects you and possibly the team's ability to be as competitive as possible in 2016 you threaten to QUIT being a season ticket holder.

I don't blame you for being upset with the situation, I just think it's somewhat amusing that your response to every other instance of Mike Brown's "me-first" BS was 100% behind "the organization" and now that his bs is on you your first replies are to threats to quit supporting the team.  Anyways, I won't rub it in, I don't have anything against you I just wanted to make sure I was still on the same planet when I saw one of the most ardent Bengals supporters make such a 180.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just saw this. I thought they were going to become the London Bengals.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2015, 01:30 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Unfortunately tailgating is not part of the sporting culture over here...more's the pity.   If you're going to a football (soccer) match and its not Premier League level (my soccer team is lower leagues)  its more a case of stopping at a pub before the game then grabbing a pie/pasty from a dodgy van parked outside the stadium.  

One of the differences in the way we watch soccer.vs. gridiron historically seems to be the travel to the game.  Old stadiums are buried in the towns so you don't drive right up to the stadium and there are no mega car parks right by...you either drive and walk or take public transport and so no tail to gate from  :)  From what I've seen of the majority of US stadiums (PBS actually appears different to this which is cool) if you are not driving there you're struggling.

From what I've heard for the Wembley games there is a 'fan plaza'....but this is not tailgating as you guys would know it.  Probably just an excuse to flog more merchandise and sell burgers from approved, stadium concessions

Personally I cannot wait to the Bengals at my first ever game at Wembley..BUT but I fell in love with the NFL / America and everything that goes with that so until I see a game at PBS, with a full on tailgate BBQ, Local brewed Beer, and the Bengal stormtrooper bloke passing me the ketchup I've still not done the full NFL game experience ..Whodey!

Thanks so much for the info. Instead of complaining about this, I'm looking to make this a once in a lifetime for me and the wife.  Early research show flight and hotel (3 days) is gonna cost around $2400. Any info on hotels close to the stadium? I'm currently considering Jurys Inn London Croydon. Just not sure of the location.

Definitely plan on taking in a soccer game while there. I'll be good with one of the lower levels to save a few bucks; although, I'm a big Gunners fan.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2015, 07:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks so much for the info. Instead of complaining about this, I'm looking to make this a once in a lifetime for me and the wife.  Early research show flight and hotel (3 days) is gonna cost around $2400. Any info on hotels close to the stadium? I'm currently considering Jurys Inn London Croydon. Just not sure of the location.

Definitely plan on taking in a soccer game while there. I'll be good with one of the lower levels to save a few bucks; although, I'm a big Gunners fan.  

The two times I've been to London I've stayed at reasonably-priced boutique hotels in Earl's Court, and covered a lot of territory using the Tube and taxis. I don't recommend driving as it's hard enough to remember to look right when you're just stepping off the curb to cross the street. Wembly is not too far from there, and you'd be really close to museums, parks, cathedrals, palaces etc, not to mention pubs. Kensington is just north of EC, but more expensive. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
A bit of (hopefully useful) information on London, based on previously Wembley games and visiting the place pretty frequently.

As suggested above, public transport is the best way to get around. Given Wembley's location, the train is the easiest way to get there (I'd recommend the Underground as it's reasonably cheap and the connections mean travel from anywhere in London is easy enough).

One tip in terms of hotels is that, assuming you're travelling on the Underground, the vast majority of stations are north of the River Thames so it's easier to get around if you base yourself there. I stayed in central London for the Jags/Bills game and it took around 30 minutes to get out to Wembley.

In terms of the fan experience, I suspect it'll feel a little tame compared to the US (and certainly different). There are two organised events for the London games, a 'Fan Rally' in central London on the Saturday afternoon and the 'Fan Plaza' on the Sunday pre-game. They're broadly similar in many ways. Video of the two is below.

Fan Rally

Fan Plaza
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2015, 01:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oy, this is grand.  You defend Mike Brown saving money by not building an indoor practice facility (let those spoiled rotten millionaires play in the snow all week!).  You criticize Carson Palmer and other Bengals players for being critical of Mike Brown's cheapness getting in the way of winning.  Then the first time ol' Mikey boy makes a decision that affects you and possibly the team's ability to be as competitive as possible in 2016 you threaten to QUIT being a season ticket holder.

I don't blame you for being upset with the situation, I just think it's somewhat amusing that your response to every other instance of Mike Brown's "me-first" BS was 100% behind "the organization" and now that his bs is on you your first replies are to threats to quit supporting the team.  Anyways, I won't rub it in, I don't have anything against you I just wanted to make sure I was still on the same planet when I saw one of the most ardent Bengals supporters make such a 180.

My stance is more about the NFL greed and not MB.

I will always be a Bengals supporter. I just won't do it financially as every penny spent goes into shared revenue.

I feel the Bengals are at fault as well, but not close to the blame I give the NFL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I suppose at some point, all NFL teams will be the home team in London and lose a home game. It doesn't even out over the season, but maybe over the years it does. .......Now since Bengals are the home team, do they have to split the ticket sales. They do in a play-off game, but this is regular season. Washington still has 8 home games. Perhaps Mike Brown and Bengals cash in on all the ticket sales in London. If so, Mike Brown probably trying to get his hands on the concession stand money and ticket sales to the ferris wheel.  .....In the Olympics, I saw them parachute in James Bond and The Queen. Now that could go into Hue Jackson's playbook. Left Tackle at wide receiver, Right Tackle at wide receiver, and no AJ Green, and then he parachutes into the stadium, Dalton throws the ball in the air to Green who floats down in the end zone.

I thought when they said the Bengals were playing in London, they meant London Ohio. Somewhere around Columbus, I think.  London England, wow, as the British say, " That's way off there yonder a ways, that's a fur piece. "....No wait, that's how they say it in London Ohio.

As one person said already, it gives us a reason to drink early in the morning, it's 5 O'clock somewhere....Why fight it.  You know on an old TV Show, they called the butler Mr French, but he wasn't French at all, he was English. There could be some real stories how he got the name French.  These would be good things for the game announcers to bring up in the game.  Why was the English butler in New York called Mr French ? I mean, he wasn't French, he was British.  That could be quality game information by a Terry Bradshaw. 

The British gave the USA Mr. Bean, it's only fare we return the favor and give them Mike Brown.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2015, 03:01 PM)kevin Wrote: .....In the Olympics, I saw them parachute in James Bond and The Queen. Now that could go into Hue Jackson's playbook. Left Tackle at wide receiver, Right Tackle at wide receiver, and no AJ Green, and then he parachutes into the stadium, Dalton throws the ball in the air to Green who floats down in the end zone.

Wouldn't work, Dalton would hit the parachute.

(11-27-2015, 03:01 PM)kevin Wrote: The British gave the USA Mr. Bean, it's only fare we return the favor and give them Mike Brown.

Good idea, but I'm afraid they'd smarten up and give him right back. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Again, this is just asinine. I don't care that the Bengals are going to play in England, it will be a fun trip for them and good for them. But how big of idiots are the guys doing the scheduling that they can't schedule these games with both teams on a "away" date. No reason to take a home game from anyone......it's not rocket science.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2015, 07:00 AM)Ned Ludd Wrote: A bit of (hopefully useful) information on London, based on previously Wembley games and visiting the place pretty frequently.

As suggested above, public transport is the best way to get around. Given Wembley's location, the train is the easiest way to get there (I'd recommend the Underground as it's reasonably cheap and the connections mean travel from anywhere in London is easy enough).

One tip in terms of hotels is that, assuming you're travelling on the Underground, the vast majority of stations are north of the River Thames so it's easier to get around if you base yourself there. I stayed in central London for the Jags/Bills game and it took around 30 minutes to get out to Wembley.

In terms of the fan experience, I suspect it'll feel a little tame compared to the US (and certainly different). There are two organised events for the London games, a 'Fan Rally' in central London on the Saturday afternoon and the 'Fan Plaza' on the Sunday pre-game. They're broadly similar in many ways. Video of the two is below.

Fan Rally

Fan Plaza

Thanks for the info. Looks like Wembley is fairly close to Heathrow Airport. Also looks like Fulham or QPR are the closet League Soccer teams. Very early in the process; can't even reserve a flight for another 2 weeks. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote