Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB ?
Backup QB is always a point of contention. On the one hand you have the school of thought that if you have to rely on the backup you're screwed anyways.

Then you have the other group that wants the top notch backup. I'm just not so sure we should go into the season with B. Allen as our guy ?

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. But if we have to go to the bench for a couple games do we really want to rely on Allen ? Are there any free agents out there we won't have to break the bank on that offer more ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I know Taylor is high on Allen, but I wish we had someone better. Fitzy would have been who I tried to get.
Reply/Quote
Many good opinions offered in this thread: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Brandon-Allen-re-signed--31665

It comes down to money, the Bengals would have to easily throw $5+ to get a player significantly better than Allen. I didn't see the terms of Allen's deal, but I'm guessing it is in the ballpark of $1.5 to $3 million for the upcoming season.
Reply/Quote
I agree OP. Like you say there's the whole idea that a backup QB is irrelevant, as your season is done if they ever start games.

But I look at whenever Roethlisberger was out for whatever reason... the Steelers were chucking in whoever when he had that 4 game suspension a few years back. And they went 3-1 I believe.

An obvious backup QB in recent years.... Foles winning a SB.

I even look at us when AJ McCarron had to come in. I think that was a case of us having so much talent we could compete with a very limited QB, but we did ok with him in there (went 3-2 I think?).

Brandon Allen playing a full game likely results in a loss, but I guess it just depends how much money we can devote to a scenario which leaves us in a bind no matter who we pick up. I guess all I'd say, with our weapons and the potential O-Line.... even a limited QB should be able to move the ball you'd hope. So maybe it's worth bringing in a solid vet on the very cheap if doable. Problem is the cost of picking up somebody who is definitely better than Allen.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I know Taylor is high on Allen, but I wish we had someone better. Fitzy would have been who I tried to get.

Yes and that's one of the things I just don't understand. I can't recall any stretch of time Allen has been on the field that I had any feeling this guy could at least give us a chance at winning.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I know Taylor is high on Allen, but I wish we had someone better. Fitzy would have been who I tried to get.

I'd make that swap in a minute.
Reply/Quote
I still think with this OL improved we can win with Allen cause we now can run the ball pretty damn sure and all the
pressure won't be on him to lead the team to a win. If Finley can lead us to a win over the Steelers with a good run
game and a Defense that turns the ball over, so can Brandon Allen who I think is much better.

Do I want an upgrade? Sure, I just don't who that would be...
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:26 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I agree OP. Like you say there's the whole idea that a backup QB is irrelevant, as your season is done if they ever start games.

But I look at whenever Roethlisberger was out for whatever reason... the Steelers were chucking in whoever when he had that 4 game suspension a few years back. And they went 3-1 I believe.

I even look at us when AJ McCarron had to come in. I think that was a case of us having so much talent we could compete with a very limited QB, but we did ok with him in there (went 3-2 I think?).

Brandon Allen playing a full game likely results in a loss, but I guess it just depends how much money we can devote to a scenario which leaves us in a bind no matter who we pick up. I guess all I'd say, with our weapons and the potential O-Line.... even a limited QB should be able to move the ball you'd hope. So maybe it's worth bringing in a solid vet on the very cheap if doable. Problem is the cost of picking up somebody who is definitely better than Allen.

Last year yes, this year all Allen will have to do is give the ball to Mixon because our running game will be stronger. That may be why they didn't go more expensive.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:26 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I agree OP. Like you say there's the whole idea that a backup QB is irrelevant, as your season is done if they ever start games.

Right

I mean it's unlikely you're going to have any backup (unless you get stupid lucky) be Joe Montana or whoever ? But I find it hard to believe we can't do better than Allen without going deep into the wallet.
Reply/Quote
If they have stuck with Allen this long then he is not going anywhere. Zach likes something about him. He looked pretty rough against the Browns, but overall he is an average back up QB. And average back ups are not very good.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Last year yes, this year all Allen will have to do is give the ball to Mixon because our running game will be stronger. That may be why they didn't go more expensive.

I hope you're right if we do stick with Allen. Because having to throw the ball with him is very shaky.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If they have stuck with Allen this long then he is not going anywhere. Zach likes something about him. He looked pretty rough against the Browns, but overall he is an average back up QB.  And average back ups are not very good.

I'd say you're right. But it just seems to me, a team like ours that's hoping to go back deep in the playoffs/SB may want to have a better plan B.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still think with this OL improved we can win with Allen cause we now can run the ball pretty damn sure and all the
pressure won't be on him to lead the team to a win. If Finley can lead us to a win over the Steelers with a good run
game and a Defense that turns the ball over, so can Brandon Allen who I think is much better.

Do I want an upgrade? Sure, I just don't who that would be...

That's the 64 dollar question. Who can you get that's a for sure upgrade without going millions deep in it ?
Reply/Quote
I don't really know what good Brandon Allen does you.

He's not good enough to go 2-1, 3-2 over a couple game span if Burrow goes down short term. You're absolutely doomed if Burrow goes down long term. He's not some grizzled vet who has tons of accumulated NFL knowledge that will basically be an extra (but more relatable) coach for the QB. He's not some young guy with upside who you can develop.

I'd want my backup QB to at least fill one of those needs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't really know what good Brandon Allen does you.

He's not good enough to go 2-1, 3-2 over a couple game span if Burrow goes down short term. You're absolutely doomed if Burrow goes down long term. He's not some grizzled vet who has tons of accumulated NFL knowledge that will basically be an extra (but more relatable) coach for the QB. He's not some young guy with upside who you can develop.

I'd want my backup QB to at least fill one of those needs.

Good post.
Reply/Quote
ANDY DALTON!
Reply/Quote
Certain positions are very critical to not have injuries if Bengals are to be successful again this year.
QB is the top one. Allen is a huge downgrade.
WR and OL also big drop off after the starters.

Maybe the "best" situation is DB and DL, but again not great if it happens.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:55 PM)Yogo Wrote: ANDY DALTON!

Is Andy available?
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Is Andy available?

Yes he is!  Let's get him cheap!
Reply/Quote
Am I the only person on this board that thinks we could benefit greatly from a pass catching back. Mixon catching passes flat footed in the flat last year for losses along with our lack of being able to execute any rbs screens with all our pressure problems last year made me cringe sometimes. Not high on Perrine as answer there. Rather spend money elsewhere, it’s a Burrow or bust for us as far as season goes imho.
Reply/Quote