Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Becton visiting
(03-16-2024, 03:23 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Agreed! Personally there is no way I’d take him or Guyton at 18.

Just not enough experience for me to take Mims at 18 and yes Guyton seems more like a 2nd rounder to me.

(03-16-2024, 04:41 PM)tms Wrote: Man, I love Mims. I usually stay away from "athletic freaks" but this kid's tape speaks for itself. 8 starts is a bit unnerving but those 8 starts were awesome. If anything, that raises his floor. If he can be plugged in there against the OSU's of the world (with future NFL Day 1's like Sawyer and Tuimoloau) and still look like a grizzled veteran, the sky's the limit. 

His body hasn't proven it can handle the week-to-week grind of the NFL. That's a fair criticism. Heck, D'Ante Smith has been banged up for three years and he's hardly seen the field. Some guys just have that fragile DNA. But that's where my questions end. I love Mims' attitude as well: he has a maturity that defies his age, a natural confidence that reminds me of Teven Jenkins. Had he played more snaps he'd be OT1 in this draft class, hands down. If he's there at 18 Goodell needn't even come backstage- because the card is ready. 

We will see, these types just scare me even if Mims looked great in his 8 starts. No question he has the most upside.

But I mean, there are a lot of these types of players that just disappear when they come into the NFL. Didn't know about his attitude
and maturity being so good though, that makes me not hate the pick we do pick him. Just so many questions for me and I would rather
have a more sure thing like Fuaga or Latham myself.
Reply/Quote
What scares me is the front office drafting O lineman. Not the best track record as of late. I still hope they do not draft Bowers at 18. I would still rather they draft trench help. We got to hit sooner or later on one of these guys, right? I don't think Bower's will be there at 18 but if he is, he would be a luxury pick. We have more pressing needs. Has Boyd signed anywhere yet? Maybe bring him back for a year or two instead of drafting another receiver or Bowers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
At least this draft features multiple OT prospects all rated pro ready. At 18 we should have more than one choice so as long as they stick to priorities we should be okay.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 04:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just not enough experience for me to take Mims at 18 and yes Guyton seems more like a 2nd rounder to me.

We will see, these types just scare me even if Mims looked great in his 8 starts. No question he has the most upside.

But I mean, there are a lot of these types of players that just disappear when they come into the NFL. Didn't know about his attitude
and maturity being so good though, that makes me not hate the pick we do pick him. Just so many questions for me and I would rather
have a more sure thing like Fuaga or Latham myself.

I hear ya. I'd be happy with any of those guys myself. Beggars can't be choosers. The fact they've all proven themselves as RTs comes as an added bonus (whereas some of the other options will have to change sides- which can sometimes be messy). 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 05:01 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: What scares me is the front office drafting O lineman. Not the best track record as of late. I still hope they do not draft Bowers at 18. I would still rather they draft trench help. We got to hit sooner or later on one of these guys, right? I don't think Bower's will be there at 18 but if he is, he would be a luxury pick. We have more pressing needs. Has Boyd signed anywhere yet? Maybe bring him back for a year or two instead of drafting another receiver or Bowers.

Unless we trade Tee, I don't see the need to draft a slot receiver in round 1.

I don't see a DL stud worthy of pick #18. That leaves OT which is loaded. I have said it many times, move up to no worse than 12th and we get a great franchise OT in my opinion. Then, still sign a veteran stop gap OT for one year to start for us next year until the rookie is deemed ready to step into the RT position. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Maybe we can sign Becton as NT
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 08:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe we can sign Becton as NT

Ah the old reverse Jason Shirley move
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 05:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Unless we trade Tee, I don't see the need to draft a slot receiver in round 1.

I don't see a DL stud worthy of pick #18. That leaves OT which is loaded. I have said it many times, move up to no worse than 12th and we get a great franchise OT in my opinion. Then, still sign a veteran stop gap OT for one year to start for us next year until the rookie is deemed ready to step into the RT position. 

I would be fine with Byron Murphy,at 18,if Becton is going to play like he did when Pollack,was with the Jets.There is no way to know though.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 03:59 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Pollack is a horrible coach himself.  I dont know why anyone thinks Pollack is the answer for coaching up Becton when Pollack hasnt done that for anyone on the Bengals line.  Just because Becton had a good rookie year doesnt mean Pollack was responsible for it.  Becton was the #11 player taken in the draft so obviously teams that felt he had some talent.  He still wasnt great his rookie season.  He gave up the 5th most sacks.

Turner was a horrible coach. Pollack seems more like serviceable….

TBS I want a Great Coach in this spot…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Bye Becton, time to kick the tires on Trent Brown.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 07:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Bye Becton, time to kick the tires on Trent Brown.

It's not like the Bengals missed out on some proven quantity in Becton.  He was really nothing more than a wasted lottery ticket for the Jets.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 07:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Bye Becton, time to kick the tires on Trent Brown.

Did he sign somewhere? Last I heard is he was a maybe. Heard Tart was a hard no. 

Donovan Smith played LT for Chiefs last year for only 2.7 million and is available. Could he play RT?

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I would rather have Brown than Becton but Im not a fan of either one.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 10:16 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I would rather have Brown than Becton but Im not a fan of either one.

out of those two, i'd feel better with Brown out there than Becton as a stop gap til our draft pick can take the job
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 10:08 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: out of those two, i'd feel better with Brown out there than Becton as a stop gap til our draft pick can take the job

I think Brown is very good when healthy.   He just cant stay healthy in a position that requires continuity among the offensive line.  You dont rotate the offensive line like you do other positions like defensive line for example.  I also wonder about Brown's attitude.  Still, it will be a good signing if Brown can stay healthy and be a team player.  He is a much better option than Becton was.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 02:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think Brown is very good when healthy.   He just cant stay healthy in a position that requires continuity among the offensive line.  You dont rotate the offensive line like you do other positions like defensive line for example.  I also wonder about Brown's attitude.  Still, it will be a good signing if Brown can stay healthy and be a team player.  He is a much better option than Becton was.

I don't think Trent Brown will get bullied like Jonah was last year against the Ends in our Division.
Reply/Quote
Still want Becton. Would be a good depth piece.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 05:01 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: What scares me is the front office drafting O lineman. Not the best track record as of late. I still hope they do not draft Bowers at 18. I would still rather they draft trench help. We got to hit sooner or later on one of these guys, right? I don't think Bower's will be there at 18 but if he is, he would be a luxury pick. We have more pressing needs. Has Boyd signed anywhere yet? Maybe bring him back for a year or two instead of drafting another receiver or Bowers.

your fears are for good reason.

Can we try phone a friend?

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't think Trent Brown will get bullied like Jonah was last year against the Ends in our Division.

Does anyone have any tape or PFF of how he did against the best 2 DEs in the AFCN Watt and Garrett?

I am sure over 7 years he has played against them. If so, I would also think Bengals and ZT were able to watch film of Brown against these guys? If he hed up against them, he can hold up against any DE. 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 10:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Does anyone have any tape or PFF of how he did against the best 2 DEs in the AFCN Watt and Garrett?

I am sure over 7 years he has played against them. If so, I would also think Bengals and ZT were able to watch film of Brown against these guys? If he hed up against them, he can hold up against any DE. 

Brown only played the Steelers this past season and had his worst game by far.  He did not give up any sacks, but did give up 2 pressures and 2 hurries.  Brown had a 40.0 RBLK grade and a 31.2 PBLK.    Watt had no sacks, 3 solos & 2 assist which doesnt matter since TB played LT.

In 2022:
Brown dominated the Steelers but Watt did not play. (LT)
Brown wasnt great vs the Browns, gave up a sack (Myles Garrett), 4 hurries, 5 pressures (LT)

In 2021 Trent played RT, had an excellent season but missed 8 games
He was great vs Cleveland and destroyed Buffalo twice

He plays both sides very well, but as to PBLK he excels just a tad better at RT.  His RBLK is worse at RT.

Reply/Quote