Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
Hobson makes no mention of Boling. Projects Hart starter at RT and Miller at RG.

In your opinion what do you think the offensive line combination will be week 1 Jordan Seebeck, Dayton, OH

JORDAN: I think we saw it Monday, led by left tackle Jonah Williams, which would make him the first rookie to start at left tackle for the Bengals since Anthony Munoz in 1980. Or, as he signs, Anthony Munoz, HOF-98.

Sept. 6 in Seattle would also be Cordy Glenn’s first NFL start at left guard. Billy Price centers it for a second straight year. Former Bill John Miller would be at right guard for his fifth straight Opening Day start and first for the Bengals next to right tackle Bobby Hart. Certainly Wednesday’s news as reported by ESPN.com won’t alter it. Alex Redmond, who started 15 games at right guard last year, is suspended for the first four games (violation of NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs) and although he can practice now he’s expected not to be ready until training camp as his shoulder rehabs.

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-change-of-pace
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hobson makes no mention of Boling. Projects Hart starter at RT and Miller at RG.

In your opinion what do you think the offensive line combination will be week 1 Jordan Seebeck, Dayton, OH

JORDAN: I think we saw it Monday, led by left tackle Jonah Williams, which would make him the first rookie to start at left tackle for the Bengals since Anthony Munoz in 1980. Or, as he signs, Anthony Munoz, HOF-98.

Sept. 6 in Seattle would also be Cordy Glenn’s first NFL start at left guard. Billy Price centers it for a second straight year. Former Bill John Miller would be at right guard for his fifth straight Opening Day start and first for the Bengals next to right tackle Bobby Hart. Certainly Wednesday’s news as reported by ESPN.com won’t alter it. Alex Redmond, who started 15 games at right guard last year, is suspended for the first four games (violation of NFL policy on performance-enhancing drugs) and although he can practice now he’s expected not to be ready until training camp as his shoulder rehabs.

Callahan was on his podcast and said they expect a lot out of Hart this year, but he also understands why fans are down on him.  They also talked about you can talk X's and O's with Miller all day long, so he appears to be another of those high football IQ guys they love.  With Boling hurt, he probably doesn't hasn't had much of a chance to make an impression or maybe he just doesn't fit the new system very well.

My favorite part was that he kinda crapped on Hobson, who was hyping the new offense.  Callahan told him "Well, nobody comes out in a press conference and says we're going to run a dull, boring offense that never does anything fun."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: Callahan was on his podcast and said they expect a lot out of Hart this year, but he also understands why fans are down on him.  They also talked about you can talk X's and O's with Miller all day long, so he appears to be another of those high football IQ guys they love.  With Boling hurt, he probably doesn't hasn't had much of a chance to make an impression or maybe he just doesn't fit the new system very well.

My favorite part was that he kinda crapped on Hobson, who was hyping the new offense.  Callahan told him "Well, nobody comes out in a press conference and says we're going to run a dull, boring offense that never does anything fun."

Miller might be football smart, but he really struggled in Buffalo for all but last year.

Haha! That last line is my point. No team now is going to be like our offense is boring. You hear fluff.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 12:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hobson makes no mention of Boling. Projects Hart starter at RT and Miller at RG.

Man, i sure hope Hart improves tons. I am usually very positive but this honestly doesn't make me feel good.

(05-24-2019, 12:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: Callahan was on his podcast and said they expect a lot out of Hart this year, but he also understands why fans are down on him.  They also talked about you can talk X's and O's with Miller all day long, so he appears to be another of those high football IQ guys they love.  With Boling hurt, he probably doesn't hasn't had much of a chance to make an impression or maybe he just doesn't fit the new system very well.

I like hearing that about Miller though. Maybe with a smart RG next to him Hart will play much better, we will see.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is the play...

Makes the most sense to me.

Usually agree with you Shake but not here, we need as many Lineman as possible and Glenn and especially Boling are much better then Hart or Hopkins. Don't care about the cap hit, we need the best Line out there and that has Boling and Glenn on it.

As usual with my predictions, I'm thinking with my brain, not my heart. The Bengals didn't pay Miller and Hart for no reason.

We have too many "starters". Someone is going to get pinched.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As usual with my predictions, I'm thinking with my brain, not my heart. The Bengals didn't pay Miller and Hart for no reason.

The best line would be to start Boling over Miller or Hart...with Hart being the worst.

They could have went something like: Williams/Miller/Price/Boling/Glenn and that's a pretty decent line with Price and Miller the questionmarks.

Hart/Miller/Price/Glenn/Williams has 4 question marks. We know Hart has been bad. Miller and Price are questionmarks as to if they'll imrprove...and then Glenn moving to Guard is a questionmark too as it's a new position.

Could it work out? Yes. But, it's risky.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The best line would be to start Boling over Miller or Hart...with Hart being the worst.

They could have went something like: Williams/Miller/Price/Boling/Glenn and that's a pretty decent line with Price and Miller the questionmarks.

Hart/Miller/Price/Glenn/Williams has 4 question marks. We know Hart has been bad. Miller and Price are questionmarks as to if they'll imrprove...and then Glenn moving to Guard is a questionmark too as it's a new position.

I believe you are reaching to prove your point by saying Price is a question mark as to if he will improve. He did not play terrible last season and this statement would prove that you know nothing about the work ethic he consistently showed at Ohio State.

Also, what has you so convinced that Boling is a good fit on the right side of an offensive line that is looking to have a dominant running game as their identity?
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2019, 06:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if he's hurt or has some other issue that hasn't been reported?

Maybe holding out OTAs since he’s in a contract year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 08:13 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I believe you are reaching to prove your point by saying Price is a question mark as to if he will improve. He did not play terrible last season and this statement would prove that you know nothing about the work ethic he consistently showed at Ohio State.

Also, what has you so convinced that Boling is a good fit on the right side of an offensive line that is looking to have a dominant running game as their identity?

Price graded out at 49.4 which was the #35 Center. He was bad. I do hope that he'll improve, however I can't say it's a given that he'll be a quality center this year. Could he? Sure.

Elflein was the Center in Minnesotta. He was bad as a rookie. I thought he'd improve. They just drafted a Center this year to replace him.

The 'let's have a dominant run game and Boling doesn't fit' narrative is interesting because Miller graded out VERY POORLY against the run. He was above average pass blocking.

It's weird to me how the forum seems to have turned on Boling in favor of guys like Hart and Miller...who are...not good football players. Miller is average in his career year.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2019, 11:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Price graded out at 49.4 which was the #35 Center. He was bad. I do hope that he'll improve, however I can't say it's a given that he'll be a quality center this year. Could he? Sure.

Elflein was the Center in Minnesotta. He was bad as a rookie. I thought he'd improve. They just drafted a Center this year to replace him.

The 'let's have a dominant run game and Boling doesn't fit' narrative is interesting because Miller graded out VERY POORLY against the run. He was above average pass blocking.

It's weird to me how the forum seems to have turned on Boling in favor of guys like Hart and Miller...who are...not good football players. Miller is average in his career year.

I do not care for Hart at all and I have no opinion at all on Miller and have not mentioned him a single time for that reason. I have not researched him at all.

I have not turned on Boling at all. Actually I have stated he is an above average lineman and that the majority of that is dues to his ability as a pass protector. I think Boling is good enough to get the job done as a run blocker but he is not a dominant run blocker. So are stating this is being said because of the size of Boling. I have not mentioned his stature a single time. Rather being a dominant road grading run blocker is a mentality. It is a mindset. The need to impose your will on the defender and this certainly is not the type of game I have seen from Clint Boling.

I see it now being stated that Boling played RT and RG at Georgia. Well good. Ogbuehi played LT at Texas A&M.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As usual with my predictions, I'm thinking with my brain, not my heart. The Bengals didn't pay Miller and Hart for no reason.

I getcha, sometimes i think too much with my heart.

But cutting our current best Offensive Lineman just doesn't make much sense to my brain.

BTW, i know Price played bad last season but i still believe he was the most talented Center in his Draft class with the biggest upside.

I think he will make magnificent strides this season, especially without Redmond on his right continually jumping offsides.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 11:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The best line would be to start Boling over Miller or Hart...with Hart being the worst.

(05-25-2019, 02:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I getcha, sometimes i think too much with my heart.

But cutting our current best Offensive Lineman just doesn't make much sense to my brain.

BTW, i know Price played bad last season but i still believe he was the most talented Center in his Draft class with the biggest upside.

I think he will make magnificent strides this season, especially without Redmond on his right continually jumping offsides.

I think we're going off of Boling's past reputation, but he didn't play up to that last year. He's also 30 and not all linemen age the same. Also, who knows how he fits with the new schemes? Also, who knows if he can really play RT at the NFL level. As bad as Hart is, maybe he's a better RT than Boling? We have no idea. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The new alignment as it stands is bold and shows willingness to change, but I still think it will be a weak point on this roster.

I have high hopes for Jonah, so no worries there. Glenn is a solid player and it's not out of the question that he could thrive a t the position he played at a high level in college. Price had a disappointing rookie year, but I'm far from convinced that he's a bust. I think he's 50/50 at this point.

The big problem I see is with the right side. They're looking to trot out two guys in Hart and Miller who are scrap heap dumpster refugees. Both of these guys have displayed piss-poor play over multiple seasons. Miller is inconsistent at best and was benched on a bad Buffalo o-line. We all know what Hart is. We've seen it first hand for long enough.

There's a decent chance that we see an overall improvement with the group by virtue of having a good young LT, but they're still deficient in too many spots to call them anything but a weakness at this point.
Reply/Quote
It seems to me that this line is being built to run the football and the combination of lineman who can most effectively accomplish that will be the ones that see the field the most. I can easily see Boling being the odd man out for that reason.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if rookie Michael Jordan beats out Miller and Redman for the starting RG spot.
Reply/Quote
Again, we need to know what the blocking scheme will be to make informed judgments. Miller for example when the Bills ran directional drive was not bad at all. Likewise Hart’s scouting report from college said he would be much better suited to a drive blocking scheme.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 12:00 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if rookie Michael Jordan beats out Miller and Redman for the starting RG spot.

Iirc they are working him at LG and the coaches have said that they want the rookie OL focusing on learning one position.  If Glenn sticks at LG you have to figure Boling will also get a chance to compete at RG and I can't see him beating out 3 guys with lots of starting experience.  If they start working him at a 2nd position, it would probably be as an emergency C anyways.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 01:33 AM)Samhain Wrote:  Price had a disappointing rookie year, but I'm far from convinced that he's a bust.  I think he's 50/50 at this point.

50-50 Really? I wish people would stop with this nonsense. Price tore his pectoral muscle at the combine, and could not lift the entire offseason. He did not get to participate, except as a spectator, in OTA's or Training Camp. Then, in his first game, his ankle gets injured. Coming in to one of the hardest jobs as a rookie in the NFL, injured, without training camp, and playing injured for the 2nd half of the season, the fact he saw the field at all is amazing. 50-50.....pffft. If someone had higher expectations for his performance after all of that, their expectations are ridiculous. 
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As usual with my predictions, I'm thinking with my brain, not my heart. The Bengals didn't pay Miller and Hart for no reason.

I read somewhere that every NFL line Miller has played on, has been a top 10 O line. If that's true, he may not be a world beater, but he's definitely doing his part......
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 12:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I read somewhere that every NFL line Miller has played on, has been a top 10 O line. If that's true, he may not be a world beater, but he's definitely doing his part......

And, while I have the luxury of guessing, I think Taylor has a very crystal plan and reason for every FA signing and draft pick.  Though I'm still mystified about the Hart signing, he's emphatic about it.

As for Miller, one of the things that excites me is his ability to run block.  I think we have the chance to have a very solid interior line for the first time in a while.  And if he's good enough to give Andy time in the interior, it could easily make a big difference in Andy's game.  If the interior can produce in the run game it will create some additional time on passing downs.

I'm pretty excited about Miller really.
Reply/Quote