Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(04-30-2019, 05:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Unless the player is a rookie switching positions on the O-line is not rocket science.  Footwork, hand placement, balance, and all of that stuff is pretty much the same.  Bill Belichick wants every o-lineman to be able to play every position.

But O-lines have to work as a unit more than any other position group.  So I don't mind them moving vets around however they want.  I just want them to come up with a set unit by the middle of training camp so they can get used to playing together.

The footwork is different like on the left you power set with your right foot but you power step with your left foot on the right side. It takes time to become accustom to the switch its a muscle memory thing. 

Clint Boiling played better at LT than when he was switched to right tackle in I think it was 2013 or 14.

I hope they decide the tackle positions early in the offseason to give either Glenn or Williams to work on his footwork for that side.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:24 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Williams may very well end up being the LT for this franchise but I feel relatively safe saying it will not be until the contract of Glenn is done or Glenn gets injured. I feel very safe saying that Williams will be the starting RT in his rookie season. I would have no problem seeing Glenn slide to the other side I just don't see it happening.

I tend to agree with you, but I started thinking that if they were 100% serious about having the best 5 on the field, it would make sense to have the rookie that didn't give up a single sack in the SEC manning the side of the speed rushers.  So, what to do with Glenn?  Well, I would consider putting him at RT, and moving Bobby Hart to RG.  Before everyone attacks me and says things like "you can't just move him inside and he will be suddenly a good player", hear me out:  I think Hart's run blocking is actually pretty good.  I think Glenn would be wasted as a guard.  With a right side of Hart, Glenn, and sometimes Sample....hello short yardage conversions.  

I think this would be an outstanding run blocking 5, and you have your two best tackles on the field.  

I don't believe this will actually happen, but I like the idea of Williams starting at LT instead of RT, and still having Glenn man an outside spot.  A lot of people are down on Hart, but I think between a healthy Price and Glenn, it will be a different world than outside next to an unproven Redmond. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could see that move happening, at some point in time.  However, to begin the year, I think they start Williams on the Right Side.  Personally, I think it smarter to start him on the Right and allow him to build his confidence, before throwing him on that Island to protect Andy's blind side.

Don't you think he would be better suited where he has played the last two years?  I know that would mean Glenn would likely move to RT and you might not want to make so many changes, but I think a right side of the line with Hart at RG and Glenn at RT would be mammoth.  

From what I understand about Williams, he is incredibly intelligent in terms of breaking down his opponents and his strength is really his mobility and technique, not as much his brute strength as is more common on the right side.  

Just wondering aloud.  It will be interesting to see where the Bengals go with it.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 12:50 AM)lone bengal Wrote: You made some good points on Glenn and I agree he hasn’t played well  but I can’t see them cutting him this season because we have zero quality depth at the position. If you cut Glenn outside of Williams who is a rookie you would have Bobby Hart and Kent Perkins who is a practice squad level player as your tackles which is scary. I think they wanted to move up in the 2nd round of the draft and select either, Taylor, Little or Ford then they could have cut Glenn but it never happened.

Could possibly kick Michael Jordan out to Tackle. He has the size.

It's also possible we sign a vet somewhere down the line.

I don't hate Glenn, and my best case scenario would be Jonah at RT and a healthy Glenn staying at LT and hopefully returning to form.

I just know that many similar players have been cut for underperforming their salary. Especially when a new franchise guy was drafted to eventually take that spot.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hadn't really noticed much decline in Boling's actual play (PFF #'s really don't tell the whole story), but I certainly have noticed that he's been rather dinged up, toward the end of the past two seasons.  

This might be a bit of early projecting, but Michael Jordan could be viewed as the heir apparent to Clint Boling.  Prior to earning 1st team All-America this year at Center, Jordan played his first two seasons at LG for the Buckeyes, including his true freshman season in 2016.  Jordan was the first true freshman to earn a starting spot on the Ohio St. OL since Orlando Pace.

Absolutely.  A couple sources had him as a second round talent, and I love that he played center to help his team sacrificing his best spot before the draft.  Give me more guys like him.  

I think in the long run, it will look like this:

Williams- Jordan-  Price-  Westerman-  Hart (I have not given up on this 24 year old yet, as I remember Andrew Whitworth not starting at tackle until he was 28).
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 04:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Boling has played RG (college) before. We could slide him there. Hopefully we do what we need to do to get the 5 best Olinemen on the field.

IS there debate over Price/Hopkins/Jordan at center....   Is price the guy for Center no doubt?

Boiling has played everyspot for us I think except C and RG at this point.       (glenn was LG in College and boiling his LT)

If the best lineup is possibly

Williams
Glenn
Price
Miller/Westerman./Jordan/Hart    Not sure who is the 5th best.
Boiling

With Hart first OT off the bench  6th OL for jumbo
MJ backing up both OG spots
Hopkins backing up Center

We definitely could run to the Left....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 05:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Don't you think he would be better suited where he has played the last two years?  I know that would mean Glenn would likely move to RT and you might not want to make so many changes, but I think a right side of the line with Hart at RG and Glenn at RT would be mammoth.  

From what I understand about Williams, he is incredibly intelligent in terms of breaking down his opponents and his strength is really his mobility and technique, not as much his brute strength as is more common on the right side.  

Just wondering aloud.  It will be interesting to see where the Bengals go with it.  

I do think Williams will start at RT but if they felt it was best for him to start at LT then I would like to see Glenn slide to RT as opposed to Hart. I think Glenn would make an outstanding RT. Heck, if he stayed healthy he could be the RT for several more years.

I am curious as well to see if they work Jordan any at OT. He has the measurables for it and I would have to imagine that at several colleges in the nation he would have been playing OT no doubt.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 05:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: IS there debate over Price/Hopkins/Jordan at center....   Is price the guy for Center no doubt?

Boiling has played everyspot for us I think except C and RG at this point.       (glenn was LG in College and boiling his LT)

If the best lineup is possibly

Williams
Glenn
Price
Miller/Westerman./Jordan/Hart    Not sure who is the 5th best.
Boiling

With Hart first OT off the bench  6th OL for jumbo
MJ backing up both OG spots
Hopkins backing up Center

We definitely could run to the Left....
Jordan really was not a very good C at Ohio State however was an outstanding Guard. I would like to see them move him back to OG as well as giving him some looks at OT. He certainly has the measurables to play the OT position and I do believe good enough feet.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 03:06 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: What? Who said anything like that. PFF is used by many teams in the NFL is it a 100% correct no but it's a very useful tool.  Coaches are not always right though either and acting like they are is a joke. Now you tell what is wrong with giving a guy a chance to prove himself when all he has done is play well with his limited snaps?

your referenced how coaches can be wrong at times and I understand that but PFF can be much more wrong than coaches that coach the actual player see them perform at practice, execute the game plan, line calls etc..... You assume the coaches have not given him a chance..  how do we know the coaches have not ?  he has been on the team for 2 years.. and still going into this year is considered a backup... my point is after two coaches and two years it just does not look good for him to start.. I can only assume that it is probably lack of being able to handle anything but LG  so he is stuck behind a better player... maybe possible lack of ability to execute line calls, pick up playbook and/or lack of dedication within the organization.   He was subpar two years ago for sure.. last year he played better but again but from what I can tell he is limited to LG.. not a good sign for him with a better player in front of him.
Reply/Quote
my prediction for starting five is Glenn Boling, Price, Miller and Williams across the line..
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 03:06 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: What? Who said anything like that. PFF is used by many teams in the NFL is it a 100% correct no but it's a very useful tool.  Coaches are not always right though either and acting like they are is a joke. Now you tell what is wrong with giving a guy a chance to prove himself when all he has done is play well with his limited snaps?

you do realize that you or I could work for PFF correct? There rankings are done without any regard for scheme or responsibility. They advertise all the time in regard to employment opportunities.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 08:07 PM)OSUfan Wrote: you do realize that you or I could work for PFF correct? There rankings are done without any regard for scheme or responsibility. They advertise all the time in regard to employment opportunities.

I am sure they only hire people that know what they are talking about.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 07:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: my prediction for starting five is  Glenn Boling, Price, Miller and Williams across the line..

With what they invested in Jonah I don't see him starting at RT, then again we all saw what they did with Andre Smith. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 09:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am sure they only hire people that know what they are talking about.

As I understand, most anyone can be a part of PFF.  You must go through their certification training and testing to ensure you're looking at things the same way as everyone else on their team.  But yes, anyone with a strong enough interest can be a part of PFF, as I understand.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 05:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Could possibly kick Michael Jordan out to Tackle. He has the size.

It's also possible we sign a vet somewhere down the line.

I don't hate Glenn, and my best case scenario would be Jonah at RT and a healthy Glenn staying at LT and hopefully returning to form.

I just know that many similar players have been cut for underperforming their salary. Especially when a new franchise guy was drafted to eventually take that spot.

I feel like Jordan is our Trey Hopkins future replacement. Hopkins will most likely walk after the season and we'll attempt to net a 5th or 6th round comp pick for him. Then Jordan becomes our backup LG, RG, and OC.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who's your starting 5, who are your backups, who get's shown the door?

Bengals currently have 13 OL on the roster.

Tackles:
Cordy Glenn
Jonah Williams
Bobby Hart
Kent Perkins

Guards:
Clint Boling
Christian Westerman
Michael Jordan
Alex Redmond
John Miller
Rod Taylor

Centers:
Billy Price
Trey Hopkins
Brad Lundblade

My Starting 5:

Cordy Glenn Clint Boling Billy Price John Miller Jonah Williams

That is how I think they will begin the season. Obviously, they'll want to get Williams onto the field, in order to get the best 5 out there. I really can't make any solid predictions on backups/cuts, until I see/read reports from OTAs/training camp/preseason. There's a long way to go before the final depth chart is released, but that's who I predict will be the starting 5 on opening day.

My suprise starting OL

LT- Williams
LG- Boling
C- Hopkins
RG- Price
RT- Glenn

I don't know anything about Miller. But with the line this way at least there's a vet on each side to help out. I'm cool with the OP line. I want an aggressive line, a gritty Hartless line. See what I did there. :)
Reply/Quote
Starters: 

LT - Glenn
LG - Boling
C - Price
RG - Westerman
RT - Williams

First interior OL off the bench: Hopkins
First OT off the bench: Hart

John Miller, Michael Jordan, and Rod Taylor make it as backups. I could easily see Taylor being replaced by a vet waiver wire pickup here. Glenn is the LT until he's either hurt or proven to not be the best LT on the team. Boling is a possible surprise RT should injuries really screw things up, seeing as how this team should have good depth at guard. I believe that Westerman grabs a starting job over Miller due to his pass-pro.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 12:47 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I feel like Jordan is our Trey Hopkins future replacement. Hopkins will most likely walk after the season and we'll attempt to net a 5th or 6th round comp pick for him. Then Jordan becomes our backup LG, RG, and OC.

While this sure sounds like a solid strategy, I can't help but think he would have a real shot at RG based on what we have seen at this position in the recent years.  I am really starting to wonder about a right side of the line of Hart and Glenn, though.  Maybe Hart would make a better guard and Jordan would give them flexibility with Boling's contract up soon. 
Reply/Quote
I feel many have dismissed our 1st round pick Jonah Williams. I think they dismissed he plays in the SEC which is loaded with freak athletes and DE's who can get to the QB on a regular basis.

Yet Williams gave up no sacks in 2018. I think we got the best OL in this draft, he may be at RT, LT or guard, but i healthy Williams will be on the field and I think a huge upgrade to the player he replaces as a rookie.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 05:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I tend to agree with you, but I started thinking that if they were 100% serious about having the best 5 on the field, it would make sense to have the rookie that didn't give up a single sack in the SEC manning the side of the speed rushers.  So, what to do with Glenn?  Well, I would consider putting him at RT, and moving Bobby Hart to RG.  Before everyone attacks me and says things like "you can't just move him inside and he will be suddenly a good player", hear me out:  I think Hart's run blocking is actually pretty good.  I think Glenn would be wasted as a guard.  With a right side of Hart, Glenn, and sometimes Sample....hello short yardage conversions.  

I think this would be an outstanding run blocking 5, and you have your two best tackles on the field.  

I don't believe this will actually happen, but I like the idea of Williams starting at LT instead of RT, and still having Glenn man an outside spot.  A lot of people are down on Hart, but I think between a healthy Price and Glenn, it will be a different world than outside next to an unproven Redmond. 

Miller.

Miller has been playing the position and he's shown he's better as a run blocker and a pass blocker.   There is NO scenario where Hart is playing that makes much sense at this point.
Reply/Quote