Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-01-2019, 12:16 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Miller.

Miller has been playing the position and he's shown he's better as a run blocker and a pass blocker.   There is NO scenario where Hart is playing that makes much sense at this point.

hart first off the bench and jumbo OT  (6th OT)

as far as everyone flipping glenn to RT... Its not the same as LT  has he ever played on the right side of a OL?  just move him inside to OG
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 12:47 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I feel like Jordan is our Trey Hopkins future replacement. Hopkins will most likely walk after the season and we'll attempt to net a 5th or 6th round comp pick for him. Then Jordan becomes our backup LG, RG, and OC.

(05-01-2019, 07:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While this sure sounds like a solid strategy, I can't help but think he would have a real shot at RG based on what we have seen at this position in the recent years.  I am really starting to wonder about a right side of the line of Hart and Glenn, though.  Maybe Hart would make a better guard and Jordan would give them flexibility with Boling's contract up soon. 

To you and Bengal Dude: All I'll say is that it's going to be very interesting to watch how this all plays out. Imo, there's a myriad of possibilities right now.

(05-01-2019, 12:16 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Miller.

Miller has been playing the position and he's shown he's better as a run blocker and a pass blocker.   There is NO scenario where Hart is playing that makes much sense at this point.

Then signing Hart was an incredibly dumb move, considering he will be making $7.5 million to sit the bench. We could've signed someone of similar talent for much cheaper if there were no intentions of starting him. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 01:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: To you and Bengal Dude: All I'll say is that it's going to be very interesting to watch how this all plays out. Imo, there's a myriad of possibilities right now.

Then signing Hart was an incredibly dumb move, considering he will be making $7.5 million to sit the bench. We could've signed someone of similar talent for much cheaper if there were no intentions of starting him. 

When he was signed our OTS were glenn and perkins... and hart was signed with the potential to start.  He will backup both spots if not starting and be the 6th OL
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 01:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Then signing Hart was an incredibly dumb move, considering he will be making $7.5 million to sit the bench. We could've signed someone of similar talent for much cheaper if there were no intentions of starting him. 

I guess we were not sure we would be able to get a starter quality OT in the draft.

I understand why we re-signed Hart, but I still think we overpaid.

Also I think some of his pay was based on playing incentives.  So he may not make $7.5 million if he just sits on the bench.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I understand, most anyone can be a part of PFF.  You must go through their certification training and testing to ensure you're looking at things the same way as everyone else on their team.  But yes, anyone with a strong enough interest can be a part of PFF, as I understand.

So they train there guys to be qualified for what they do. In all honesty I don't see the problem with that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 01:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: To you and Bengal Dude: All I'll say is that it's going to be very interesting to watch how this all plays out. Imo, there's a myriad of possibilities right now.

They could have signed Darryl Williams for the same price and he was a guy who was a second All pro in 2017.
To your point the Front office is dumb.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 02:41 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They could have signed Darryl Williams for the same price and he was a guy who was a second All pro in 2017.

Maybe. Just because a player signed somewhere else for an amount doesn't mean they will play for Mike Brown for that amount.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 02:41 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They could have signed Darryl Williams for the same price and he was a guy who was a second All pro in 2017.

Darryl Williams was adamant about resigning with the Panters. A big part of it was raising his children in that area and not wanting them to switch schools.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I understand, most anyone can be a part of PFF.  You must go through their certification training and testing to ensure you're looking at things the same way as everyone else on their team.  But yes, anyone with a strong enough interest can be a part of PFF, as I understand.

PFF is known for hiring former coaches, scouts and players. So I wouldnt say they hire alot of random street guys with zero football experience.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 03:51 PM)Synric Wrote: PFF is known for hiring former coaches, scouts and players. So I wouldnt say they hire alot of random street guys with zero football experience.

I don't doubt that they do hire people with football backgrounds.  Someone that I know, who is trying to get involved with PFF, gave me a brief overview of some of their basic aptitude/testing/screening methods.  It's definitely more in depth than most causal fans could keep up with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 03:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Darryl Williams was adamant about resigning with the Panters. A big part of it was raising his children in that area and not wanting them to switch schools.

Never heard this, makes me feel better about the Hart deal.

I can understand the thought cause they didn't know Jonah Williams was going to be there.

Hindsight is 20/20, if we didn't sign Hart and everyone else was signed we would of been in a bad spot if Jonah wasn't there.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with your initial assessment.  So, you're thinking Redmond, Perkins, and Lundblade all fail to make the team?

I truly believe they should put Jonah Williams at left tackle where he is by far the most confortable and will be the best at that spot,move Glenn into  left guard,price,westerman and then Taylor to start with in pre-season.I really believe Jonah Williams should be playing at his most confortable position and that is at left tackle,when you start moving players all around into positions they are not used to,like goofy Marvin Lewis did,it NEVER works out.Glenn will be much better at guard as he struggles handling the fast edge rushers.And Boling can and will play right guard some.You have to work the big guy in from The Ohio State University,my all time favorite college team,he is going to be a stud.I am happy with this draft and I believe barring the injury bug,we are going to be in the hunt every GAME. ThumbsUp :andy:
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)Beaker Wrote: Starters:

Glenn, Boling, Price, Miller, Williams

Backups:

Williams, Westerman, Hopkins, Jordan, Hart

Swingman for the 10th O line spot :

Taylor

I agree and this is exactly what i want but i wouldn’t be surprised if they put Jonah at Left bc i think they definitely drafted him to be our future LT and idk if they’ll feel comfortable putting a rookie who is the future LY somewhere else. I’d hope they wouldn’t do this bc then Glenn could become a cut casualty considering he’s played on the left side since college the last 12 years he’s been on the left side. Idk what kind of cap hit cutting him would be but it scares me bc they did give Hart a decent contract and i feel like we’re cursed for him to end up starting
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 06:38 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I truly believe they should put Jonah Williams at left tackle where he is by far the most confortable and will be the best at that spot,move Glenn into  left guard,price,westerman and then Taylor to start with in pre-season.I really believe Jonah Williams should be playing at his most confortable position and that is at left tackle,when you start moving players all around into positions they are not used to,like goofy Marvin Lewis did,it NEVER works out.Glenn will be much better at guard as he struggles handling the fast edge rushers.And Boling can and will play right guard some.You have to work the big guy in from The Ohio State University,my all time favorite college team,he is going to be a stud.I am happy with this draft and I believe barring the injury bug,we are going to be in the hunt every GAME. ThumbsUp :andy:

I completely understand the thought of putting Jonah at LT and Glenn at LG. This is where Jonah played in college the most and is his most natural position, Glenn has played LG before in college next to Boling. Maybe Boling could switch over to RT, have to have him starting somewhere and he has played RT before. Miller at RG so i am starting to lean to this....

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Cordy Glenn
C - Billy Price
RG - John Miller
RT - Clint Boling

We don't know if Taylor can be good in the pros at this point at all even if i liked the pick.

Westerman doesn't play RG, atleast he hasn't shown so yet, he is a LG right now.

(05-01-2019, 06:49 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I agree and this is exactly what i want but i wouldn’t be surprised if they put Jonah at Left bc i think they definitely drafted him to be our future LT and idk if they’ll feel comfortable putting a rookie who is the future LY somewhere else. I’d hope they wouldn’t do this bc then Glenn could become a cut casualty considering he’s played on the left side since college the last 12 years he’s been on the left side. Idk what kind of cap hit cutting him would be but it scares me bc they did give Hart a decent contract and i feel like we’re cursed for him to end up starting

Don't start a player just because you are paying him a lot. Start the best players regardless. If we have to cut a player i would cut Hart over Glenn. But i would prefer Hart as the backup RT to Boling if we want to get our 5 best Lineman out there and as Xeno says, use Hart in jumbo packages so we get some use out of him.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 10:06 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: With what they invested in Jonah I don't see him starting at RT, then again we all saw what they did with Andre Smith. 

could be correct but they have a bit of $$ on Glenn also. I do feel both we start somewhere
Reply/Quote

I still feel like I am the sole member of the Bobby Hart fan club.  He had some horrible penalties last year (at the most inopportune times) but at 23 years old when the season started last year, I look at him as someone that provided a significant upgrade over Ogbuehi and Fisher that didn't cost much money and has the potential to develop in to a quality starter on the right side.  

He was solid in run blocking and I think a right side with him and Glenn (possibly with Glenn at RG) would be stellar in short yardage.  

I have no idea about Miller other than his PFF rankings which look a lot like Redmond's.   
Reply/Quote
There is no scenario in which moving Glenn to Guard makes sense. Taylor says he wants the best 5 on the field. Glenn is top 5. If you put him at guard and Williams at LT, who is playing right tackle? (and don't say Boling, he's been on the left his entire career, we won't switch him as his career is winding down). The tackles will be Williams and Glenn. It's just a matter of which one plays which side.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: There is no scenario in which moving Glenn to Guard makes sense. Taylor says he wants the best 5 on the field. Glenn is top 5. If you put him at guard and Williams at LT, who is playing right tackle? (and don't say Boling, he's been on the left his entire career, we won't switch him as his career is winding down). The tackles will be Williams and Glenn. It's just a matter of which one plays which side.

Boling had experience at all 5 Oline positions in college. I'd be totally fine with the coaches trying him at RT in the preseason to see how he looks.  
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 01:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: To you and Bengal Dude: All I'll say is that it's going to be very interesting to watch how this all plays out. Imo, there's a myriad of possibilities right now.

He's making 5.1 or 5.5, not 7.5.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Yep.  Everyone knew that at the time.  
Reply/Quote