Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
My final thought on Hart.

I understand why we re-signed him. I just think we overpaid.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: part of the hart contract is hes only 24.  So they have time to work on his game before it passes him by I imagine.

(05-03-2019, 11:16 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not a fan of the Hart contract, but I also am not a fan of fans labeling young players as bad and no shot at them improving. The great teams help their young players get better, our coaches need to take average NFL players and make them good, good NFL players and make them great. The more of that they do, the better the team becomes. Boyd is a recent example, he wad not good early, he was average, but look at him now.

I get that - maybe - the team sees him as someone who is still developing (although I sincerely doubt he improves much with 4 seasons already under his belt. If that's the case, we may as well bring back Ogbuehi), but you don't pay a player for potential he hasn't shown on a field, especially when no other teams are competing for that mythical potential. 

I think people are just trying to rationalize a bad contract. Or make peace with it. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
FWIW, Paul Dehner Jr said he would go with the following OL if he were making the calls:

LT - Williams
LG - Competition between Boling, Westerman, Jordan, Hopkins
C - Price
RG - Miller
RT - Glenn

This isn't the first time I'm seeing possibility of a competition at LG either. Makes me wonder if Boling may not get extended.
Personally, if I was considering someone else at LG, I'm trying Boling at RT and look to release/trade Glenn this year or next. The cap space freed up from Glenn would allow the Bengals to extend Boling easily, and Boling is worth extending over Glenn anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 05:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to keep all options open.

This is good news, and something we're not used to.  No matter how it pans out, the OL is going to be better than the last few years!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  There is a minor adjustment, but it is not that big of a deal.

Sometimes an OT blocks down on the DT and sometimes he blocks out on the DE.  O-linemen are capable of blocking in more than one direction.

Some players can do it with ease, some cannot.

Boling plays better on the left then he does on the right from what we have seen.

Just saying it is better if you have SOME sort of history playing on the other side, it is helpful.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 12:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: FWIW, Paul Dehner Jr said he would go with the following OL if he were making the calls:

LT - Williams
LG - Competition between Boling, Westerman, Jordan, Hopkins
C - Price
RG - Miller
RT - Glenn

This isn't the first time I'm seeing possibility of a competition at LG either. Makes me wonder if Boling may not get extended.
Personally, if I was considering someone else at LG, I'm trying Boling at RT and look to release/trade Glenn this year or next. The cap space freed up from Glenn would allow the Bengals to extend Boling easily, and Boling is worth extending over Glenn anyway.

I like the thought from Dehner and i agree with you on keeping Boling over Glenn, Boling is cheaper, more versatile and just has been playing much better. If this is how it shapes up i hope Glenn plays well at RT, he definately has the size and dimensions to do it, i hope he gets that fire. He played soft last year.

On the other hand Westerman has played well pretty much everytime i have watched him at LG and could be a future Boling replacement there, but as we have seen, he is not near as versatile as Boling and seems to only play LG.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My final thought on Hart.

I understand why we re-signed him.  I just think we overpaid.

I understand as well, but I was very frustrated by the timing and then the price.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 09:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds great to me Sunset.

I have been agreeing you for awhile but moving from LT to RT where you have never played IS a big deal. You have to change your foot position and step first with your other foot and use it as your base and change your leverage = Big deal.

Glenn wasn't a good LT last year and to act like he was is fooling yourself.

Glenn needs to lose a lot of weight before he can even move right and he is not the bully his size makes you think like he is. He had chances to pancake guys last year and played soft and just touched them in the run game. I am liking Jonah right now at our most important Tackle spot. Boling has played RT before and would be better than both Glenn and Hart there based on history.

Do not agree at all. I think this transition can be made much more seamlessly than you are making it out to be. Case and point is seen virtually every season in college football and it is seen in numerous colleges across the nation. It is rather common for an upper classman to play LT while another very promising underclassman plays RT waiting his turn. When the upper classman leaves for the draft or graduation or whatever the underclassman will then slide to LT and the cycle starts again. The Buckeyes do it on a rather regular basis.

Nope Glenn was not that good last season and he also battled injury but to act as if he has not performed well in previous season at LT is just fooling yourself.

I am lost on your referral to his weight. If anything your LT should be lighter and more athletic as they in general are facing more speed rushers than the RT. There is zero reason at all that Glenn would need to drop weight to move to the right side of the line. I also made no reference to him being a bully so not sure where you came up with that notion.

I also do not care if a defender gets pancaked rather that he is blocked out of the play.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:31 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am really sorry but this notion that Hart starts anywhere over Glenn is one of the more ridiculous things I have heard on these boards and that is saying something.

If Glenn gets cut and Hart starts over any warm body, every coach should be taken out to pasture and shot with a water gun.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Which has been a theme for him for some time now, and you really didn't refute any of the facts I brought up.

That's the real question of the offensive line. Assuming Glenn starts, what does the starting 5 look like after he's injured?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 05:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Do not agree at all. I think this transition can be made much more seamlessly than you are making it out to be. Case and point is seen virtually every season in college football and it is seen in numerous colleges across the nation. It is rather common for an upper classman to play LT while another very promising underclassman plays RT waiting his turn. When the upper classman leaves for the draft or graduation or whatever the underclassman will then slide to LT and the cycle starts again. The Buckeyes do it on a rather regular basis.

Nope Glenn was not that good last season and he also battled injury but to act as if he has not performed well in previous season at LT is just fooling yourself.

I am lost on your referral to his weight. If anything your LT should be lighter and more athletic as they in general are facing more speed rushers than the RT. There is zero reason at all that Glenn would need to drop weight to move to the right side of the line. I also made no reference to him being a bully so not sure where you came up with that notion.

I also do not care if a defender gets pancaked rather that he is blocked out of the play.

Well we will agree to disagree on this one OSUfan, i respect your opinion.

You are talking a lot about college and not taking into account that Glenn has never even played on the right side of the Line, let alone Right Tackle. I find the reason why Glenn fell off last year is he was over weight, dude weighed around 350+. I think if he loses some weight he should get back to playing like he did in Buffalo regardless of where he is playing.

I am talking about Glenn being more of a bully as something i would like to see out of him, none of that patty cake stuff, there were numerous times last year that Mixon could of taken it to the house if Glenn would of pancaked his man instead of softly pushing him out of the way. Turns a 25 yard run into a 65 yard TD.

I care about TD's man, just me i guess.

(05-03-2019, 06:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Glenn gets cut and Hart starts over any warm body, every coach should be taken out to pasture and shot with a water gun.

Would remind me of that one dude we had as a coach a couple years ago...
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 07:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well we will agree to disagree on this one OSUfan, i respect your opinion.

You are talking a lot about college and not taking into account that Glenn has never even played on the right side of the Line, let alone Right Tackle. I find the reason why Glenn fell off last year is he was over weight, dude weighed around 350+. I think if he loses some weight he should get back to playing like he did in Buffalo regardless of where he is playing.

I am talking about Glenn being more of a bully as something i would like to see out of him, none of that patty cake stuff, there were numerous times last year that Mixon could of taken it to the house if Glenn would of pancaked his man instead of softly pushing him out of the way. Turns a 25 yard run into a 65 yard TD.

I care about TD's man, just me i guess.

Would remind me of that one dude we had as a coach a couple years ago...

I am unclear on your what you mean about me talking a lot about college. College or Pro left and right are left and right. College athletes are in a single offseason making the transition from right to left all of the time. Not sure why you would consider it to be a difference and yes I do realize Glenn has not played on the right side.

It is not uncommon at all for a OT to play the LT in college and come to the NFL and play RT. Happens every season so again I just do not see it being a huge ordeal.

I would agree that Glenn losing weight would absolutely help him and his all around game for sure. No argument here however from college to now he has never been a lightweight player.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 10:27 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am unclear on your what you mean about me talking a lot about college. College or Pro left and right are left and right. College athletes are in a single offseason making the transition from right to left all of the time. Not sure why you would consider it to be a difference and yes I do realize Glenn has not played on the right side.

It is not uncommon at all for a OT to play the LT in college and come to the NFL and play RT. Happens every season so again I just do not see it being a huge ordeal.

I would agree that Glenn losing weight would absolutely help him and his all around game for sure. No argument here however from college to now he has never been a lightweight player.

College is not the NFL is all i am saying. Would be nice if Glenn could make the move to RT though.

Glenn just seemed a little bigger than he was before last year even and it seemed to mess with his game.

Hope he comes in in better shape this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: College is not the NFL is all i am saying. Would be nice if Glenn could make the move to RT though.

Glenn just seemed a little bigger than he was before last year even and it seemed to mess with his game.

Hope he comes in in better shape this year.

Oh I agree that the pro and college game is different..no doubt about it. Merely making a point that the transition is made on a regular basis and does not seem to be a huge deal of first step foot or anything of that nature.

Certainly agree that I hope he comes in to camp in better shape and lighter. Even the last couple of seasons Whit was here he had been working to drop weight because of his knees. I really think this could help Glenn and his foot issues.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 02:46 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh I agree that the pro and college game is different..no doubt about it. Merely making a point that the transition is made on a regular basis and does not seem to be a huge deal of first step foot or anything of that nature.

Certainly agree that I hope he comes in to camp in better shape and lighter. Even the last couple of seasons Whit was here he had been working to drop weight because of his knees. I really think this could help Glenn and his foot issues.

Agreed.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 06:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Glenn gets cut and Hart starts over any warm body, every coach should be taken out to pasture and shot with a water gun.

I honestly think the best starting 5 could have Boling and Williams at OT and Westerman and/or Jordan at OG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 07:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I honestly think the best starting 5 could have Boling and Williams at OT and Westerman and/or Jordan at OG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannot get onboard with Boling as a full time OT at the NFL level. He is fine for an emergency or a game here or there but just don't see it as a full time gig.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 06:49 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I agree and this is exactly what i want but i wouldn’t be surprised if they put Jonah at Left bc i think they definitely drafted him to be our future LT and idk if they’ll feel comfortable putting a rookie who is the future LY somewhere else. I’d hope they wouldn’t do this bc then Glenn could become a cut casualty considering he’s played on the left side since college the last 12 years he’s been on the left side. Idk what kind of cap hit cutting him would be but it scares me bc they did give Hart a decent contract and i feel like we’re cursed for him to end up starting

Jonah has been lining up at Left so far and Ian Rapoport tweeted he told teams he insisted he only wanted to play Left Tackle
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 06:04 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Jonah has been lining up at Left so far and Ian Rapoport tweeted he told teams he insisted he only wanted to play Left Tackle

I like it, want him where he is comfortable and he should be an immediate upgrade over what we saw from Glenn last year on Dalton's blindside.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 06:04 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Jonah has been lining up at Left so far and Ian Rapoport tweeted he told teams he insisted he only wanted to play Left Tackle

What other rookie in this camp would even line up at LT?

Obviously every O-lineman wants to play LT.  That is where all the money is.  Remember when the Bengals were desperate for an OG but Anthony Collins decided he would rather sit the bench as a LT than start at OG?  That decision ended up working out well for him.  He got paid in free agency.

As for Williams, let's wait and see where he lines up when the whole team is present.

I really don't care who they play where, but Williams better be starting somewhere.  My prediction is that we see guys moving around a lot the first week or so of training camp.  It seems like we have a lot of options.  But they need to make the decision fairly early so the first unit can get used to working together.
Reply/Quote