Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-10-2019, 06:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What other rookie in this camp would even line up at LT?

Obviously every O-lineman wants to play LT.  That is where all the money is.  Remember when the Bengals were desperate for an OG but Anthony Collins decided he would rather sit the bench as a LT than start at OG?  That decision ended up working out well for him.  He got paid in free agency.

As for Williams, let's wait and see where he lines up when the whole team is present.

I really don't care who they play where, but Williams better be starting somewhere.  My prediction is that we see guys moving around a lot the first week or so of training camp.  It seems like we have a lot of options.  But they need to make the decision fairly early so the first unit can get used to working together.

Yeah, we will know a lot more when the veterans are playing in a couple weeks.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 06:04 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Jonah has been lining up at Left so far and Ian Rapoport tweeted he told teams he insisted he only wanted to play Left Tackle

So the question would be how would Ian have any idea what Jonah Williams told any team? I have watched virtually every interview Williams has done that has been recorded and in not a single one have I seen the kid that demands that he only play LT. Rather on the contrary I have seen a kid that is going to do whatever it is he has to do to be productive and help a team. Does he prefer to play LT? I would certainly think that his what he prefers since it is the toughest position on the field and that is the standard that he appears to hold himself to.
Reply/Quote
Jonah, MJ, Price, that is our future on the left. Plug those three and and lets roll. Miller and Glenn are back together again and need to hold it down on the right.

Boling first off the bench and regularly rotates to give breathers across the line. Hart, Hopkins, Rod Taylor, and Westerman round out the depth
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 03:20 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Jonah, MJ, Price, that is our future on the left. Plug those three and and lets roll. Miller and Glenn are back together again and need to hold it down on the right.

Boling first off the bench and regularly rotates to give breathers across the line. Hart, Hopkins, Rod Taylor, and Westerman round out the depth

So you think Jordan will be a better LG then Westerman Nati?

I believe Jordan only played RG and Center at OSU but i could be wrong.

Westerman has always looked more than decent to me at LG.

Want to keep Boling around for atleast a couple more years too for his versatility.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 03:20 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Jonah, MJ, Price, that is our future on the left. Plug those three and and lets roll. Miller and Glenn are back together again and need to hold it down on the right.

I do not see Boling being a bench player at this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 02:25 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I do not see Boling being a bench player at this point in his career.

Yeah, if Boling gets forced to the bench then the O-line is getting awesome.

Good to have 3 new guys that can seriously compete for jobs going forward.

Jonah, Miller & Jordan.

O-line becoming a team strength or at least heading in a much better direction in terms of potential to improve.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 02:25 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I do not see Boling being a bench player at this point in his career.

To be fair, Nati did say "is our future".
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 03:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To be fair, Nati did say "is our future".

In fairness he also said plug the other three in and let's roll and that Boling is first off the bench. Pretty sure that is what I read.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2019, 08:53 AM)OSUfan Wrote: So the question would be how would Ian have any idea what Jonah Williams told any team? I have watched virtually every interview Williams has done that has been recorded and in not a single one have I seen the kid that demands that he only play LT. Rather on the contrary I have seen a kid that is going to do whatever it is he has to do to be productive and help a team. Does he prefer to play LT? I would certainly think that his what he prefers since it is the toughest position on the field and that is the standard that he appears to hold himself to.

I find it hard to believe a drafted tackle would be so adamant about playing R or L, especially in the first year. I think it is pretty common for some to play on the right side early on. I mean you are getting a large pay day, why irritate your employer with demands. And again it is over the R and L side, not QB/WR (Lamar Jackson) or QB/TE (Tim Tebow).

Left tackles do get more money down the road. But that would only be after his rookie contract expires. Am I right, aren't rookie contracts basically draft position?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 04:58 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I find it hard to believe a drafted tackle would be so adamant about playing R or L, especially in the first year. I think it is pretty common for some to play on the right side early on. I mean you are getting a large pay day, why irritate your employer with demands. And again it is over the R and L side, not QB/WR (Lamar Jackson) or QB/TE (Tim Tebow).

Left tackles do get more money down the road. But that would only be after his rookie contract expires. Am I right, aren't rookie contracts basically draft position?

You are correct the draft contracts are pretty much slotted deals . As well, I have a hard time believing that a young man that has shown the character that Williams has shown is going to state such a thing to an NFL franchise.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 04:57 PM)OSUfan Wrote: In fairness he also said plug the other three in and let's roll and that Boling is first off the bench. Pretty sure that is what I read.

You are correct, must of missed that the first time, no way you bench Boling.

He has been our best Lineman since Whit was here.
Reply/Quote
Gonna be C's on the left, J's on the right, and a Hart in the middle
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 02:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So you think Jordan will be a better LG then Westerman Nati?

I believe Jordan only played RG and Center at OSU but i could be wrong.

Westerman has always looked more than decent to me at LG.

Want to keep Boling around for atleast a couple more years too for his versatility.

Actually Nate, he played LG for the Buckeyes.  I'm pretty certain that had he stayed another year at OSU, they would have put him out at one of the Tackle positions.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/michael-jordan?id=32194a4f-5214-6382-8d60-9ad32b12a1f6

Now, it he can unseat Boling, as a rookie?  I'll be genuinely impressed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:42 AM)Okeana Wrote: he was pretty terrible at center

He was far from terrible.

He was simply better at guard.

And FWIW, I love the character the guy showed in risking HIS future draft stock to play a new position where his team needed him. My guess is he will be groomed as Boling’s replacement and will be the LG of the future.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's quite a limb you're going out on there.  Ninja

I'll spice this up by saying our starting 5 will look like this:

Jonah Williams - Clint Boling - Billy Price - Michael Jordan - Bobby Hart

Cordy Glenn will be a June cut and Jordan will beat out Miller in preseason.

I will counter your ballsy prediction by throwing one out myself:

The starting 5 will be:

J. Williams C. Boling B. Price C. Glenn B. Hart

You generally want your biggest, strongest guys on the right side and your most athletic guy at LT. Glenn has clearly lost a step at LT and was never really elite but he had road-grader capabilities in the running game.

Hart might be everyone’s favorite punching bag, but the guy is still a full 5 years younger than Whit was when he became a full-time OT. He can run-block, and with Glenn next to him, you have 700 lbs of beef to blow up opposing defenses. Plus, consider that Sample will likely line up next to him quite a bit.

I see big things ahead for Price in Year 2, and I believe Michael Jordan will be groomed to replace Boling. Outside of Glenn, you have the makings of a strong offensive line for years to come. And due to some smart drafting, they won’t cost a ton.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:42 AM)Okeana Wrote: he was pretty terrible at center

(05-17-2019, 07:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He was far from terrible.  

He was simply better at guard.

And FWIW, I love the character the guy showed in risking HIS future draft stock to play a new position where his team needed him.  My guess is he will be groomed as Boling’s replacement and will be the LG of the future.

I don't get how people say he was bad at Center.  He had some issues early in the season, but once he settled in he was pretty darn good.  You can't be that terrible and also be named to two (2) All-America teams by sports writers.  While playing Center was new to him in 2018, he had already proven his ability with 27 stellar starts at LG.  If he had hung around for another year, he'd likely be lining up at Tackle this fall.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 06:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually Nate, he played LG for the Buckeyes.  I'm pretty certain that had he stayed another year at OSU, they would have put him out at one of the Tackle positions.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/michael-jordan?id=32194a4f-5214-6382-8d60-9ad32b12a1f6

Now, it he can unseat Boling, as a rookie?  I'll be genuinely impressed.

Oh, he played LG, didn't know that, thanks Sunset.

That makes sense. Jordan certainly has the body type to play OT too.

Really cool adding another versatile Lineman. This Draft just gets better by the moment.

So many options for Taylor, Callahan and Turner to work with.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:59 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Question for all my Bengal fans,Who on here believes we have a snowball chance in hell to whip the Hawks opening day.Talk about a super hard game to start off with,I mean,they are a lot like the stoolers at home,they always win at home and they are a super good team.I truly believe we are going to get smoked day one. Sick

To try and offer just a little optimism....the Seahawks will have no idea what the Bengals will run at them. That’s an advantage. But, yes, a healthy Russell Wilson at home is VERY hard to contain. Dude is simply such an elusive scrambler on third down. Bet the over :)
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 07:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: To try and offer just a little optimism....the Seahawks will have no idea what the Bengals will run at them. That’s an advantage. But, yes, a healthy Russell Wilson at home is VERY hard to contain. Dude is simply such an elusive scrambler on third down. Bet the over :)

They lost a lot of players on Defense, bet we can score some on them.

Have to play disciplined for sure with Russell. Dude is crazy good in and out of the pocket, great presence.

Thought i heard he doesn't have Baldwin anymore either which might hurt them.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 07:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: To try and offer just a little optimism....the Seahawks will have no idea what the Bengals will run at them.  That’s an advantage.  But, yes, a healthy Russell Wilson at home is VERY hard to contain.  Dude is simply such an elusive scrambler on third down.  Bet the over :)

They seem to have gotten off to slow starts to the season, the past few years.  Might be as good an opportunity as any for the Bengals to pull a surprise attack.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote