Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-20-2019, 04:33 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Wonder if they’ll try to move Price around? He played guard at OSU (better than C to)

Who's the C? Hopkins?

Hopkins was better than Price at Center...but he still wasn't even league average I'd say.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: The narrative on the line all off season has been youth. Hopkins got resigned, Jordan is also in play and we went out and got Miller. I think one of them is gone, but who knows injuries still are to be taken into consideration before cuts get made in August. 

Agreed. No reason to cut anyone now considering how many injuries happen during the summer.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: They liked what they saw on tape or else you don't give him a deal with a cap hit so heavy in year 1. If he was an internal guy like Hart, maybe. This was an outside FA though which to me means he is the guy.

Miller was the best Guard available at the time...but I wouldn't say he's good by any stretch. I believe he was a capable run blocker and a below average pass blocker if I recall correctly.

Does anyone know what scheme we'll run?

Miller is more suited for a power scheme and is bad in a zone scheme.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:31 PM)yang Wrote: So that was what, 2009?  2010?   Okay.   Like I said.  I get it's not unheard of, but does anyone really think this will end up like this?  Really?   

Who knows but I do like they’re not leaving a stone unturned. Sometimes you have to throw shit at the walls to see what sticks
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I saw him do that against the Saints. He lightly bumped the guy when he was out from blocking. It was insane. If he just runs into the guy Mixon probably had 20 more yards and maybe a TD.

That is the play...

(05-20-2019, 04:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: They liked what they saw on tape or else you don't give him a deal with a cap hit so heavy in year 1. If he was an internal guy like Hart, maybe. This was an outside FA though which to me means he is the guy.

Makes the most sense to me.

(05-20-2019, 04:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Imo, it's looking like we'll possibly cut either Glenn or Boling. Both underwhelmed last year, have the biggest cap hits, least dead money if cut, and are on the last years of their deals. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me how stupid this idea is, but we paid Hart, Miller and Hopkins this offseason. Now these 2 older guys with big salaries are being shuffled around. When that stuff starts to happen, a lot of times it winds up with someone getting cut. 

Hart having versatility could help his case, but if we sign another Tackle in June and Jonah looks good in camp, I'd put my money on him.

Usually agree with you Shake but not here, we need as many Lineman as possible and Glenn and especially Boling are much better then Hart or Hopkins. Don't care about the cap hit, we need the best Line out there and that has Boling and Glenn on it.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Who's the C? Hopkins?

Hopkins was better than Price at Center...but he still wasn't even league average I'd say.

Yea he did decent when BP was hurt. And BP does have some snap issues so worth paying attention to
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Miller was the best Guard available at the time.

Turner always has ran a power scheme for all i know and a power scheme suits all of our Lineman much better than zone.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Miller was the best Guard available at the time.

All they keep saying is "nasty" "tough" "Mauler". That doesn't mean power and that doesn't mean zone. To be honest you can do both kind of schemes in a mean way. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:31 PM)yang Wrote: So that was what, 2009?  2010?   Okay.   Like I said.  I get it's not unheard of, but does anyone really think this will end up like this?  Really?   

Not like Glenn was great last year at LT, he could be better at LG and Jonah could be a better LT.

Sure wouldn't surprise me. Do you want to keep it like last year Yang? Really?
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not like Glenn was great last year at LT, he could be better at LG and Jonah could be a better LT.

NO

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:37 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Who knows but I do like they’re not leaving a stone unturned. Sometimes you have to throw shit at the walls to see what sticks

Yup.....seems some others agree.....

Quote:But most importantly, it’s great to see Zac Taylor and his staff not being afraid to make big changes like this so soon vs. waiting until it’s late in the regular season with nothing to play for like Marvin Lewis would have in this situation.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup.....seems some others agree.....

Yeah...I think it's about as good as we can do now.

A lot will be on Price to actually play well at C and someone to step up at RG.

Will we have a Top 5 line? Probably not.

But, IF we can have a Top 20 line that's a big improvement.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not like Glenn was great last year at LT, he could be better at LG and Jonah could be a better LT.

Dude, I'm happy.  I want us to draft a QB next year.   I'm not sure any of them could start for most teams.  Hopefully I am wrong and Price and Williams pan out and we can get some draft picks and Free agents worth a salt in the next few years to with the new QB.   But hoping this line is going to be even average is a long shot at best, lots would have to go really well for them to be better than a bottom 5 offensive line.   

And no, I am not a Glenn fan.  There were games Hart outplayed him (which says a lot as bad as he was).  I was okay taking JW where we drafted him but the reality is he might actually end up at guard too.  
Reply/Quote
I agree with others, it is good Zac is thinking out of the box now and is trying things now. I have no idea where it ends up. Williams may falter as a rookie LT or not. Glenn may be best guard in league or not. Boling may replace Hart at RT or not. Hudson may beat out Price at starting center or not.

So, lots of work to be done and hopefully no injuries factor in on the OL so coaches can get a great look now and at camps later on heading into the preseason.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:53 PM)yang Wrote: Dude, I'm happy.  I want us to draft a QB next year.   I'm not sure any of them could start for most teams.  Hopefully I am wrong and Price and Williams pan out and we can get some draft picks and Free agents worth a salt in the next few years to with the new QB.   But hoping this line is going to be even average is a long shot at best, lots would have to go really well for them to be better than a bottom 5 offensive line.   

And no, I am not a Glenn fan.  There were games Hart outplayed him (which says a lot as bad as he was).  I was okay taking JW where we drafted him but the reality is he might actually end up at guard too.  

Jonah is an OT, if they were even thinking about putting him at Guard Glenn would still be at LT. Bet Price is much better this year than he was last season, takes Centers some time to adapt to the NFL. I think a Line of Jonah, Glenn, Price, Miller, Boling will be way better then Glenn, Boling, a rookie Price, Redmond, Hart.
Reply/Quote
Here’s what ESPN’s Field Yates said about Miller being the Bills’ toughest upcoming decision:

“When head coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane were hired, the vision for the Bills’ future called for a roster build. A surprise run to the playoffs in 2017 was exhilarating, but also ahead of schedule. The Bills now enter an offseason in the healthiest place during the McDermott/Beane tenure:
equipped with cap space (estimated around $82 million), a young quarterback and a rock-solid defense. Miller is a fine player; he showed strides in 2018 and can be a starter. Ideally, however, he’d be a depth-level player along your line who can start in a pinch.”

Yates’ verdict: “Re-sign Miller to a modest deal.”

Overall, Miller was Pro Football Focus’ 25th best offensive guard in the NFL with an overall grade of 64.3. Like much of the Bills’ offensive line, he was, at minimum, average at pass blocking, but struggled as a run blocker. His pass-block grade was 71.4 while his run-block grade was 56.8.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/22/espn-pegs-john-miller-buffalo-bills-toughest-free-agent-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane/
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jonah is an OT, if they were even thinking about putting him at Guard Glenn would still be at LT. Bet Price is much better this year than he was last season, takes Centers some time to adapt to the NFL. I think a Line of Jonah, Glenn, Price, Miller, Boling will be way better then Glenn, Boling, a rookie Price, Redmond, Hart.

The 2nd line does look like a sizeable upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:53 PM)yang Wrote: Dude, I'm happy.  I want us to draft a QB next year.   I'm not sure any of them could start for most teams.  Hopefully I am wrong and Price and Williams pan out and we can get some draft picks and Free agents worth a salt in the next few years to with the new QB.   But hoping this line is going to be even average is a long shot at best, lots would have to go really well for them to be better than a bottom 5 offensive line.   

They may end up be a bottom 5 OL but I would argue much better shot at being a OL ranked in 15 to 20 range than bottom 5. Price healthy and no longer a rookie. Williams could end up be a back up as he learns or could beat out Glenn at LT. By your admission, he could be average and produce better than Glenn.

Hart, who knows if he improves over 2018, but he is very young so he could. As bad as he was, I have seen others struggle early on the OL only to get better. Heck, one guy we cut played TE and is now the starting LT for the Steelers. Big miss by us. I guarantee no fan was yelling for a 6'"8' former military stud who played TE and no OL experience to be given a shot as our OT.

A lot of fans (not saying you) write off guys if they don't come into the NFL and dominate within 1st 3 years. It is the NFL, hard for anyone to dominate. I hope Williams in time will dominate, but t expect in year one is kind of foolish, he will make rookie mistakes, he will get beat by a DL or a LB for a sack.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:53 PM)yang Wrote:  lots would have to go really well for them to be better than a bottom 5 offensive line.   

Our O-line was better than bottom 5 last year with our first round pick injured.  With him healthy this year and the addition of the best O-lineman in the draft how do you figure we will get WORSE?

Anyone else smell a  :troll:? 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Who's the C? Hopkins?

That is what I suggested on cincy jungle,  Williams, Jordan,  Hopkins, Price, Glenn. Mostly because Price and Jordan were better guards in college than center and mostly had to play there due to teammates going to the pros. If Boling or anyone else can play center at a upgrade over Hopkins that would be nice as well. The only common thread is no Hart or Redmon on the right please.
Reply/Quote