Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-20-2019, 10:37 PM)Fullrock Wrote: If they REALLY like Hart, then they must REALLY think they can coach him up. 

In the eyes of the coaching staff, he might not be as far away from being good, as you might think.  He's still young, aggressive, and has plenty of starts under his belt.  His run blocking is actually pretty good.  If they can somehow get the light to come on for him in pass protection, he just might live to make us all regret laughing at him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 10:48 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Dang it...I told myself I wasn't gonna do this...but I'm getting excited again.  The Oline could be the strength of the team.  We might pound people into submission.  The boner I would have if we just lined up and ran down division rivals throats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcEx0uvBl5Y

I wouldn't go as far as saying it will be a strength.

Glenn was bad last year. He'll have to move to Guard which he's never played and be above average.
Price will have to really improve.
Boling who declined slightly last year will need to move to RG or RT and play above average.

Then Miller or Hart will have to become a quality starter.

That's A LOT of things that have to go right. I think IF we can get up to average that we'll be better.
Reply/Quote
Not sure what all this means for Clint Boling who's been are best linemen the last few years. Cutting Boling dosen't make much sense to me. If their was an injury to one of our starting tackles Boling has the ability to kick outside in a pinch. If Glenn plays LG i'm assuming that means Hart is the starting RT. I doubt they move Boling to RT or have him be a backup with the amount there paying him. So does that mean Boling is playing right guard because there paying Miller a decent amount of money. Also why not keep Boling at LG and move Glenn to RG ?
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 11:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In the eyes of the coaching staff, he might not be as far away from being good, as you might think.  He's still young, aggressive, and has plenty of starts under his belt.  His run blocking is actually pretty good.  If they can somehow get the light to come on for him in pass protection, he just might live to make us all regret laughing at him.

He is only 24. Will be 25 in August. Not much older than some rookies coming in to the league. He is only 6 months older than Kaleb McGary a first round pick this year. He is younger than Mike McGlinchey who was a first rounder last year. He has 4 years of NFL experience with 37 starts. I would say the contract he was given by our front office indicates they think he has not peaked.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 04:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jonah is an OT, if they were even thinking about putting him at Guard Glenn would still be at LT. Bet Price is much better this year than he was last season, takes Centers some time to adapt to the NFL. I think a Line of Jonah, Glenn, Price, Miller, Boling will be way better then Glenn, Boling, a rookie Price, Redmond, Hart.

Well at least this is not the same ole predictable Marvin Lewis team. I don't think anyone imagined a line of JW, Glenn, Price, Miller, Boling if this ends up being the case. Who would have thunk it. I like the thinking outside the box. Hope it works, or whatever combo they go with.
Reply/Quote
Read this in an article released earlier. According to the piece, this is how they will roll right out the gate. Didn't see this posted anywhere, if so plz merge.
Reply/Quote
I doubt that will happen. Boling was on the rehab field. They're probably just letting Glenn get some reps just in case if we need to put him at guard due to injury. I think the line still will be...

Williams, Boling, Price, Jordan, Glenn
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 01:12 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I doubt that will happen. Boling was on the rehab field. They're probably just letting Glenn get some reps just in case if we need to put him at guard due to injury. I think the line still will be...

That's about how I'm reading it for now, but things may change as it progresses towards opening day.. It's possible Price and Jordan switch places, both having been centers at Ohio State..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 01:12 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I doubt that will happen. Boling was on the rehab field. They're probably just letting Glenn get some reps just in case if we need to put him at guard due to injury. I think the line still will be...

I certainly hope so.  Boling is one of the 5 best lineman and Hart is clearly not.

EDIT: Actually they had a discussion with Glenn and informed him he's in the interior.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 06:59 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I certainly hope so.  Boling is one of the 5 best lineman and Hart is clearly not.

EDIT: Actually they had a discussion with Glenn and informed him he's in the interior.

I'll believe they will put Glenn as a guard when I see it. Otherwise I'm going to say that he's RT unless we have an injury. I just don't see it happening. If for some messed up reason they do move him to guard I think the line would look like this....

Williams, Glenn, Price, Boling, Hart

Even then I would rather take my chances with Jordan at RG than having Hart starting at RT. Hell, I would rather have Hart at RG than RT lol.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 07:26 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'll believe they will put Glenn as a guard when I see it. Otherwise I'm going to say that he's RT unless we have an injury. I just don't see it happening. If for some messed up reason they do move him to guard I think the line would look like this....

Williams, Glenn, Price, Boling, Hart

Even then I would rather take my chances with Jordan at RG than having Hart starting at RT. Hell, I would rather have Hart at RG than RT lol.

They're just tinkering with who can play where. Our talent at T is very slim (Glenn and Williams, that's really about it that you can count on). I'm just having a very hard time believing they'd pay him LT money to play inside. And all the while Hart is still starting at the edge. Just doesn't make sense IMO. Guard we have quite a bit more options
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I don't know, Glenn said Turner had a "man to man" with him, and that he is "all in" on playing guard, and working o getting that muscle memory back. Sounds to me like he's headed for guard. Does that mean Boling moves to RG, or does Boling stay on the left and Glenn move to RG? Going to be an interesting training camp.
Reply/Quote
Alex Redmond and Christian Westerman were no-shows. Now I get that these practices are voluntary, but you’ve got a new coaching staff and are already at risk of not making the team, I don’t understand not doing everything possible to prove that they deserve to be on the team. In football absence does not make the heart grow fonder

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:34 AM)pally Wrote: Alex Redmond and Christian Westerman were no-shows.  Now I get that these practices are voluntary, but you’ve got a new coaching staff and are already at risk of not making the team, I don’t understand not doing everything possible to prove that they deserve to be on the team.  In football absence does not make the heart grow fonder

I wonder if they're trying to get waived so they can go to another team? Neither will be starting here most likely especially with Glenn moving to Guard and Miller signed.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 11:26 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Not sure what all this means for Clint Boling who's been are best linemen the last few years. Cutting Boling dosen't make much sense to me. If their was an injury to one of our starting tackles Boling has the ability to kick outside in a pinch.  If Glenn plays LG i'm assuming that means Hart is the starting RT. I doubt they move Boling to RT or have him be a backup with the amount there paying him. So does that mean Boling is playing right guard because there paying Miller a decent amount of money. Also why not keep Boling at LG and move Glenn to RG ?

I doubt Boling would be cut but he might get traded since he's in the last year of his contract. I'd only trade for a 3rd rounder of higher though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I really could see them moving Boling out to RT in an effort to get the 5 best blockers on the field. He acquitted himself fairly well in a few games at LT. He certainly would be an upgrade at RT over Hart.

I do not think we'll see Jordan as a starter. A line with two rookies and Price (who is basically still a rookie) would be too much inexperience in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I doubt Boling would be cut but he might get traded since he's in the last year of his contract. I'd only trade for a 3rd rounder of higher though.

Idk, I am starting to think he's closer to being on the chop block than not. Boling is older than Miller, so he has more prime years than Boling tho he isn't better of course. They also have Jordan as a backup, so should an injury happen, him or another G can come in and have Glenn kick out to T.

I don't think it makes a ton of sense, but I can see how it could happen. I wonder if they're trying to get younger on the line? Sure as heck looks like it.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know, Glenn said Turner had a "man to man" with him, and that he is "all in" on playing guard, and working o getting that muscle memory back. Sounds to me like he's headed for guard. Does that mean Boling moves to RG, or does Boling stay on the left and Glenn move to RG? Going to be an interesting training camp.

He specifically stated Glenn to LG, so imagine they'd probably move Boling to the right side. Idk, this is why I think Boling being cut is a real possibility. 
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:34 AM)pally Wrote: Alex Redmond and Christian Westerman were no-shows.  Now I get that these practices are voluntary, but you’ve got a new coaching staff and are already at risk of not making the team, I don’t understand not doing everything possible to prove that they deserve to be on the team.  In football absence does not make the heart grow fonder

Both players have been around since 2016. Redmond finally cracked the starting line up but was a penalty just waiting to happen. I think the writing is sort of on the wall with current events...….signing Miller in the off season and the drafting of Jonah Williams and working Glenn at LG.

Redmond has the strength you look for in a RG it just appears that he lacks focus or something along that line as he is consistently penalized for movement. Westerman just has not been able to push anyone out of their spot.

Maybe the new staff has let them know that they are essentially competing to stay on the roster at best. Who knows?
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 10:27 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Both players have been around since 2016. Redmond finally cracked the starting line up but was a penalty just waiting to happen. I think the writing is sort of on the wall with current events...….signing Miller in the off season and the drafting of Jonah Williams and working Glenn at LG.

Redmond has the strength you look for in a RG it just appears that he lacks focus or something along that line as he is consistently penalized for movement. Westerman just has not been able to push anyone out of their spot.

Maybe the new staff has let them know that they are essentially competing to stay on the roster at best. Who knows?

That's all very plausible.
Reply/Quote