Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
Here's a nice piece on Billy Price, by Dayton Daily News. Dating back to being a kid in Ohio, I've always thought that DDN had the best Bengal and Reds reporting.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/former-ohio-state-center-recovers-from-injury-returns-bengals/U6HqvZH6glQATn35cZQu2J/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 03:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hopkins has been pretty bad as a starter at Guard when he's there.

And, that was under previous coaching staff.  According to the article by DDN, on Billy Price, Price claims that this coaching staff is making things very black and white for the OL, taking a lot of the overthinking out of the equation, so that they can focus more on execution.  

I also have to think that in Taylor's offense, they're looking to put the 3 guys that best move people off the ball in those interior spots.  I'm not expecting to see many 7 step drops, so pass pro by the interior will likely be secondary to being able to drive a man off the ball.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 04:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, that was under previous coaching staff.  According to the article by DDN, on Billy Price, Price claims that this coaching staff is making things very black and white for the OL, taking a lot of the overthinking out of the equation, so that they can focus more on execution.  

I also have to think that in Taylor's offense, they're looking to put the 3 guys that best move people off the ball in those interior spots.  I'm not expecting to see many 7 step drops, so pass pro by the interior will likely be secondary to being able to drive a man off the ball.

I am no OL expert, I just know if we control the LOS (both defense and offense) we have a great shot at winning the game if we take care of the football. Let's hope our line coaches instill win LOS and things will get better.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I would keep Hopkins at Center, he did very, very well last season. Hopkins is only 27 and has shown he can do a good job. Price can play Guard until Hopkins retires and takes over C, he'll have more time to perfect the C position.

PS. Probably the only player to step up to the plate and play well after he took over.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 05:24 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I would keep Hopkins at Center, he did very, very well last season.  Hopkins is only 27 and has shown he can do a good job. Price can play Guard until Hopkins retires and takes over C, he'll have more time to perfect the C position.

PS. Probably the only player to step up to the plate and play well after he took over.

Someone, not sure who, posted the numbers on both Hopkins and Price at Center last year.  What I do remember is that they were pointing out that in his 7 games, Billy Price gave up a lower percentage of pressures and sacks than Hopkins did in his 9 games filling in.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The problem is everyone remembers two plays that went REALLY bad for Price - the one where he let his defender in unblocked and caused a pick six and the one that got Andy injured. What they don't remember is overall he was decent even though he missed a lot of time.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 05:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Someone, not sure who, posted the numbers on both Hopkins and Price at Center last year.  What I do remember is that they were pointing out that in his 7 games, Billy Price gave up a lower percentage of pressures and sacks than Hopkins did in his 9 games filling in.

There should be no discussion of Price in any position other than Center.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 06:03 PM)XsandOs Wrote: There should be no discussion of Price in any position other than Center.

I agree, but some around here seem hell bent that Hopkins is a better Center than Price.  I, however, beg to differ.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 04:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, that was under previous coaching staff.  According to the article by DDN, on Billy Price, Price claims that this coaching staff is making things very black and white for the OL, taking a lot of the overthinking out of the equation, so that they can focus more on execution.  

Well...he was a Guard under Alexander...then Pollack the next year.

Price had REALLY low numbers in PFF at Center. Lets hope he improves.

As far as Hopkins? I have no idea how much a different scheme can improve him I don't know that our line has a lot of raw talent outside of a few guys.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 11:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...he was a Guard under Alexander...then Pollack the next year.

Price had REALLY low numbers in PFF at Center. Lets hope he improves.

As far as Hopkins? I have no idea how much a different scheme can improve him I don't know that our line has a lot of raw talent outside of a few guys.

For better or worse, it's gonna come down to coaching.  Nobody on the line seemed to improve much last year.  Let's hope it's different this year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think it will be Glenn, Hopkins, Price, Miller, Hart.

It's not a huge shock, but it's a shame that a guy like Westerman can't take advantage of the hole at LG.

I really want to see a young, in-house, non-shitbag retread end up starting before the year ends. I want Jordan to be good and alleviate a need to draft 2 guards in 2020. We've had awful luck on the line all around over the last 4 years. It's time for something to work out for us. he doesn't have to be a, all-pro. Just a capable, solid NFL guard. That would be huge for this team. Lock down a guard spot and let the team replace our awful RT next year.
Reply/Quote
https://www.bengals.com/video/price-it-s-like-christmas-morning-it-s-something-i-ve-been-waiting-for

Interview with Billy Price who talks a little about thr offensive line reads compared to last year. The Alex Erickson video has some good stuff in it too about how they are using more condensed formations and the emphasis on blocking for the Wide Receivers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 05:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Someone, not sure who, posted the numbers on both Hopkins and Price at Center last year.  What I do remember is that they were pointing out that in his 7 games, Billy Price gave up a lower percentage of pressures and sacks than Hopkins did in his 9 games filling in.

A bit surprising as tons of people on here were saying Price was terrible.

The dude was injured and a rookie, he will improve and like I always said I think he had the biggest upside of all the Centers in that draft.

Price is the Center no question, Hopkins is a decent backup though at Center, I just hope he improves at Guard if he is starting.

(08-04-2019, 05:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: The problem is everyone remembers two plays that went REALLY bad for Price - the one where he let his defender in unblocked and caused a pick six and the one that got Andy injured. What they don't remember is overall he was decent even though he missed a lot of time.

Good points Joelist. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:37 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A bit surprising as tons of people on here were saying Price was terrible.

The dude was injured and a rookie, he will improve and like I always said I think he had the biggest upside of all the Centers in that draft.

Price is the Center no question, Hopkins is a decent backup though at Center, I just hope he improves at Guard if he is starting.

Good points Joelist. ThumbsUp

He 'should' improve, no one can say he will or will not
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 01:45 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: He 'should' improve, no one can say he will or will not

Elflein should have improved too for the Vikings and they drafted a new Center this past year.
Reply/Quote
I know Smitty isn't the player we had 5 or 6 years ago, but I find it hard to believe that even an aged Andre Smith isn't better at RT then Bobby Hart.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 11:37 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A bit surprising as tons of people on here were saying Price was terrible.

Hope price reaches that draft status this year...    But if we have someone on the roster playing OC at a higher level  play that guy,.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2019, 06:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, but some around here seem hell bent that Hopkins is a better Center than Price.  I, however, beg to differ.

(08-06-2019, 11:37 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A bit surprising as tons of people on here were saying Price was terrible.

Price is the Center no question, Hopkins is a decent backup though at Center, I just hope he improves at Guard if he is

Some folks think building a roster is as easy as switching names on a piece of paper.

If the guy is tough enough to anchor and smart enough to make line calls - you leave him there.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 09:23 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Some folks think building a roster is as easy as switching names on a piece of paper.

If the guy is tough enough to anchor and smart enough to make line calls - you leave him there.

I'm not sure if you saw the clip that someone posted in the Training Camp News and Notes thread.  Michael Jordan was getting reps at LG, and they decided to test him, by putting Geno Atkins across from him.  He handled Geno's push, and stayed with the play (run play to the outside) and kept his body between Geno and the ball carrier.

He showed some good strength and athleticism on that play, against a likely future HOFer.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2019, 09:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure if you saw the clip that someone posted in the Training Camp News and Notes thread.  Michael Jordan was getting reps at LG, and they decided to test him, by putting Geno Atkins across from him.  He handled Geno's push, and stayed with the play (run play to the outside) and kept his body between Geno and the ball carrier.

He showed some good strength and athleticism on that play, against a likely future HOFer.

That was just one play and it’s not like he pancaked Geno. Hoping he is the answer at LG we need help all over the line.
Reply/Quote