Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals/Bills game update

Continued prayers for Hamlin
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
If the Bills went back to Buffalo, not sure how that happens. They'd have to fly back today and play tomorrow.
Reply/Quote
If that's the timeline, I think that confirms this game won't be played.

Obviously a very tough spot for the NFL in terms of rescheduling/awarding a result, I don't think they have an easy solution.
Reply/Quote
There is no easy answer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:07 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: There is no easy answer.

Nope. There's no way to be fair to the Bengals AND the Bills AND to all the other AFC teams heading into the playoffs. Someone is going to get shafted. But, I think every team effected will be okay considering the situation as long as it's a reasonably sensible outcome.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:42 AM)PhilHos Wrote:  I think every team effected will be okay considering the situation as long as it's a reasonably sensible outcome.

That's the proper thing to say out loud, but the SB is on the line and the team that gets the Chargers in the Wildcard game instead of New England or a injury riddled Baltimore team will have internal feelings about being screwed. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:07 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: There is no easy answer.

Right they never had anything like this happen before.

Big injuries yes. but nothing like this
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right they never had anything like this happen before.

They've had players actually permanently paralyzed on the field before, and continued the games. For all we know Hamlin will walk out of the hospital this week. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They've had players actually permanently paralyzed on the field before, and continued the games. For all we know Hamlin will walk out of the hospital this week. 

I do think this is a bit different. It is my understanding that if CPR needed to be performed, then Hamlin was clinically dead. Speaking on paralysis, which is also gut wrenching to watch, but several of those players were still responsive at bare minimum. Shazier was talking, moving his arms and wide awake. I don't mean that to downplay Shazier's injury, but I do think we got a little deeper with what happened last night. 
Reply/Quote
If we take the tie and move on, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Baltimore getting mad and charging the league. They will not handle the division title that easy since they still have a shot at winning the division.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They've had players actually permanently paralyzed on the field before, and continued the games. For all we know Hamlin will walk out of the hospital this week. 

Sadly, he may also die.

This great exciting game turned to crap the second I knew they were giving him CPR. My prayers and thoughts are with Hamlin and his family. Also all the players and coaches on the field last night.

I heard from fans that were at the game, sick at their stomach and felt NFL made the correct call to postpone the game. I was proud of our fans who understood the gravity (life and death) of the situation and acted accordingly.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think they should just make it a 16 game season for the Bills and Bengals. No wins, no loss, no ties added to it. Don't resume the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:57 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I do think this is a bit different. It is my understanding that if CPR needed to be performed, then Hamlin was clinically dead. Speaking on paralysis, which is also gut wrenching to watch, but several of those players were still responsive at bare minimum. Shazier was talking, moving his arms and wide awake. I don't mean that to downplay Shazier's injury, but I do think we got a little deeper with what happened last night. 

Clinically dead is not heart stoppage, it is lack of brain activity. I'm not downplaying his injury, but I am also optimistic since he got immediate care from physicians on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:50 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right they never had anything like this happen before.

Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions died of a heart attack on the field, in 1971.  They finished the game, but since only a minute was left, they essentially just ran out the clock.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:59 AM)Bengalion Wrote: If we take the tie and move on, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Baltimore getting mad and charging the league. They will not handle the division title that easy since they still have a shot at winning the division.

Correct
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I think they are looking at the bylaws to figure out what is within the leagues authority to actually do. No matter what they do someone is going to not like the decision so I think they are trying to make sure whatever they decide is within their power to do so. As crazy as it sounds, there will probably be lawsuits (not necessarily from teams but fans, bettors, etc) so they just have to ensure that whatever they decide is spelled out. If they don't have the bylaws to lean in on then I think the NFLPA will have to step in from the players side and help guide this as to keep a united front.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:59 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:
Sadly, he may also die.

This great exciting game turned to crap the second I knew they were giving him CPR. My prayers and thoughts are with Hamlin and his family. Also all the players and coaches on the field last night.

I heard from fans that were at the game, sick at their stomach and felt NFL made the correct call to postpone the game. I was proud of our fans who understood the gravity (life and death) of the situation and acted accordingly.

He might. My point is what we do from here on out has no effect on that outcome, so I don't understand why so many seem so willing to take a loss or tie on a game we were winning at the time of stoppage and possibly missing out on seeding or a Division Championship. Because if Baltimore sense a chance to take the Division (and I haven't checked the math yet) expect a brutal game this Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: Honestly, I think they are looking at the bylaws to figure out what is within the leagues authority to actually do. No matter what they do someone is going to not like the decision so I think they are trying to make sure whatever they decide is within their power to do so. As crazy as it sounds, there will probably be lawsuits (not necessarily from teams but fans, bettors, etc) so they just have to ensure that whatever they decide is spelled out. If they don't have the bylaws to lean in on then I think the NFLPA will have to step in from the players side and help guide this as to keep a united front.

I agree and whatever the outcome, the NFL absolutely NEEDS the NFLPA, the Bills and the Bengals organizations to ALL be on board with the outcome. Best way to avoid or defeat most of the legal fallout from whatever outcome they choose.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 11:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He might. My point is what we do from here on out has no effect on that outcome, so I don't understand why so many seem so willing to take a loss or tie on a game we were winning at the time of stoppage and possibly missing out on seeding or a Division Championship. Because if Baltimore sense a chance to take the Division (and I haven't checked the math yet) expect a brutal game this Sunday.

Wont be a tie. Anything outside of replaying would have to result in a no contest.
Reply/Quote
It sucks but they should just do a live coin flip to decide winner and move on.
Reply/Quote