Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals/Bills game update
(01-03-2023, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What is the Bills Divisional record if they lose to the Pats Sunday?

No idea but another poster pointe out that the Bengals and Bills have strangely enough beaten the same 8 AFC teams between them.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:44 PM)samhain Wrote: Unacceptable.  

There's nothing the league can't figure out now that they'll be able to figure out Sunday.  They playoff time frame is the same, and the problem is the same with one unplayed regular season game floating around.  If the game matters to them, they reschedule, give a date, and allow teams to prepare accordingly.

They Bengals get the division if the game doesn't happen, thus can rest all key starters.  It's a trade-off for losing a shot at the 2-seed, but they shouldn't get screwed out of both.

agreed...how can a team plan ahead if not knowing how the NFL wants to ultimately handle this situation? Its not fair to just wait and we see after the Balt game and possibly risking injuries to starters if we dont need to.    Same on Bills side
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:48 PM)samhain Wrote: No idea but another poster pointe out that the Bengals and Bills have strangely enough beaten the same 8 AFC teams between them.

Buffalo is 8-2 and Bengals 7-3 vs conference currently.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:55 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Buffalo is 8-2 and Bengals 7-3 vs conference currently.

A win over Baltimore and a Buffalo loss to New England would leave both teams 12-4 overall and 8-3 in conference.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:34 PM)samhain Wrote: So, say the game is not resumed and the Bills do not forfeit.  

Game is a tie or a no-contest.

Bengals beat Baltimore.  Patriots beat Buffalo.

Both teams have 12-4 records.

Who gets the 2 seed in that scenario?

PlayadLc gave a great synopsis.....2 seed to bengals:

"Assuming the game is cancelled, the Bengals are still in play for the 2 seed. A win over Baltimore and a Buffalo loss to New England would leave both teams 12-4 overall and 8-3 in conference. Next tiebreaker is common opponents, which thanks to some schedule quirks would also leave both teams tied at 8-3. Next tiebreaker is strength of victory. The 8 AFC wins would essentially be set aside, since amazingly enough both teams beat the same 8 AFC opponents, and their NFC opponents would determine it. As lousy as the NFC South teams the Bengals beat are, the Bills have dregs like the Rams and Bears on their win list, which drags down their strength of victory to below Cincinnati's."
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling they're going to have to play this game after week 18. The team that would get screwed the most by the not playing of it would be the Buffalo Bills, which seems such an insult. They go from possible first round bye and home field advantage in what's one of the strongest advantages in the league playing in Buffalo in the playoffs. Seems like a really bad look given what that team is going through right now. And just handing that advantage to KC wouldn't be remotely fair.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:00 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: I have a feeling they're going to have to play this game after week 18. The team that would get screwed the most by the not playing of it would be the Buffalo Bills, which seems such an insult. They go from possible first round bye and home field advantage in what's one of the strongest advantages in the league playing in Buffalo in the playoffs. Seems like a really bad look given what that team is going through right now. And just handing that advantage to KC wouldn't be remotely fair.

I don't think there is a scenario where they wouldn't play it. #1 will likely still be on the line for one or both teams and possibly the AFCN if the Ravens beat us Sunday. 
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 03:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, I can't see the NFL changing the schedules of 30 NFL teams in order to accommodate the Bills/Bengals game.  It seems more likely they'd unsuspend this game in the next few days and just make the Bills and Bengals deal with a short week.  Either you inconvenience 2 teams, or 30 teams, so I think the NFL takes the path of least resistance on this one.

They should have played either tomorrow or Thurs, then moved the Bengals and Bills next games to Mon and/or Tue, then have them play Sun evening/night in the WC round, unless one of them was the #1 seed and only 1 team would have been affected. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:34 PM)samhain Wrote: So, say the game is not resumed and the Bills do not forfeit.  

Game is a tie or a no-contest.

Bengals beat Baltimore.  Patriots beat Buffalo.

Both teams have 12-4 records.

Who gets the 2 seed in that scenario?

I posted this in another thread. Both would be 8-3 in common opponents (4 minimum) so the Bengals would win based on SoV. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They should have played either tomorrow or Thurs, then moved the Bengals and Bills next games to Mon and/or Tue, then have them play Sun evening/night in the WC round, unless one of them was the #1 seed and only 1 team would have been affected. 

100% agree.

We do Sunday games and turn around and play Thursday 16 weeks out of the year. We could have easily done Thursday and then 3 or 4 days rest and play Monday or Tuesday. Then wild card weekend already has one MNf game on the docket, so pending seeding it may have been buff or bengals with 1 seed and the other plays on MNf.

It wouldn’t have been impossible.

Now I feel like they must shift the playoffs back a week.

It gives a “BYE” to 12 playoff teams. If KC falters, then bills/bengals have to go on to figure out the 1 seed. Even if KC does win, bengals/bills has to go on bc if bills beat pats, then they would have a shot at 1 seed.

What a mess.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I posted this in another thread. Both would be 8-3 in common opponents (4 minimum) so the Bengals would win based on SoV. 

If the chiefs lose, and bills/bengals win. Bills bengals would be for 1 seed.

At a minimum, there has to be clarity before this week. If they are going to do a no contest, bengals should just rest their starters. I’m guessing that’s why they haven’t announced the start time for bengals yet. But they need to do something soon.

As my dad has always told me, just make a decision and move forward. Not everyone will be happy, but it’s just part of life.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:25 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: If the chiefs lose, and bills/bengals win.  Bills bengals would be for 1 seed.  

At a minimum, there has to be clarity before this week.  If they are going to do a no contest, bengals should just rest their starters.   I’m guessing that’s why they haven’t announced the start time for bengals yet.  But they need to do something soon.

As my dad has always told me, just make a decision and move forward.  Not everyone will be happy, but it’s just part of life.

Yeah. Before the Buffalo game, i saw no way to rest the starters. If the game is N/C, there is no hope for #1. 

I guess we would have to know Buff won before resting though, because they would still have a shot at #2 if Buff loses. 

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They should have played either tomorrow or Thurs, then moved the Bengals and Bills next games to Mon and/or Tue, then have them play Sun evening/night in the WC round, unless one of them was the #1 seed and only 1 team would have been affected. 

I don’t think either team was in the position to play that quickly.

The league does not want teams being forced to play playoff games on short weeks.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:22 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: 100% agree.  

We do Sunday games and turn around and play Thursday 16 weeks out of the year.  We could have easily done Thursday and then 3 or 4 days rest and play Monday or Tuesday.  Then wild card weekend already has one MNf game on the docket, so pending seeding it may have been buff or bengals with 1 seed and the other plays on MNf.  

It gives a “BYE” to 12 playoff teams.  If KC falters, then bills/bengals have to go on to figure out the 1 seed. Even if KC does win, bengals/bills has to go on bc if bills beat pats, then they would have a shot at 1 seed.  

What a mess.

Absolutely should have played the game Thursday night. Gives everyone three days to gather themselves after this incident and makes everything else much less a mess. But Goodell and the NFL are all about "mess." One big, hot mess.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:32 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Absolutely should have played the game Thursday night. Gives everyone three days to gather themselves after this incident and makes everything else much less a mess. But Goodell and the NFL are all about "mess." One big, hot mess.

They cannot play any of these games on 3 days notice.  No way.  No how.  The human body does not recover that quickly.  If they play on 3 days notice you're asking for devastating injuries, poor sloppy play and essentially dooming 2 teams to failure in the playoffs by pushing them to play 3 games in 10 days.  Give me the 3 seed instead of that idiot scenario.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:29 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: I don’t think either team was in the position to play that quickly.

The league does not want teams being forced to play playoff games on short weeks.

There have been many instances of teams having players actually die in the week before a scheduled game. 

Jovan Belcher, from the chiefs killed his girlfriend then drove to the team facilities and killed himself in front of his coaches. 

They played the game the next day. 

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 05:48 PM)samhain Wrote: No idea but another poster pointed out that the Bengals and Bills have strangely enough beaten the same 8 AFC teams between them.

Just saw that from PlayadLc here. If we beat the Ravens and the Bills lose to the Pats we get the 2 seed.

(01-03-2023, 06:00 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: I have a feeling they're going to have to play this game after week 18. The team that would get screwed the most by the not playing of it would be the Buffalo Bills, which seems such an insult. They go from possible first round bye and home field advantage in what's one of the strongest advantages in the league playing in Buffalo in the playoffs. Seems like a really bad look given what that team is going through right now. And just handing that advantage to KC wouldn't be remotely fair.

Makes me feel better, sure hope you are correct, think you are. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:22 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: 100% agree.  

We do Sunday games and turn around and play Thursday 16 weeks out of the year.  We could have easily done Thursday and then 3 or 4 days rest and play Monday or Tuesday.  Then wild card weekend already has one MNf game on the docket, so pending seeding it may have been buff or bengals with 1 seed and the other plays on MNf.  

It gives a “BYE” to 12 playoff teams.  If KC falters, then bills/bengals have to go on to figure out the 1 seed. Even if KC does win, bengals/bills has to go on bc if bills beat pats, then they would have a shot at 1 seed.  

What a mess.

Yeah, the NFL screwed up on this one. Now everything is messed up cause they ruled out us playing the Bills this week.
Reply/Quote
Its a big crap sandwich all the way around..especially for the Bills..

Its unfortunate and I feel bad for their fans but I think the Bills just need to take the loss and move on. The score was 7-3, although there was a lot of game left to be played and this situation takes all control out of their hands...totally unfair but the other outcomes have WAY more effect on the league and other teams.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, the NFL screwed up on this one. Now everything is messed up cause they ruled out us playing the Bills this week.

I haven't heard anything from the NFL, not even "we will have a decision by such and such a day."  At this point, they're calling it a "postponement," which means it will happen at a later date. The NFL needs to inform all interested parties the timeframe on when a decision on that postponement will be made.
Reply/Quote