Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Board Fantasy Baseball (The Show)
Many of us are playing in a fantasy baseball league together. Lets use this thread to discuss the league starting with the 2023 season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So how did everyone like their draft?

My SP is weak other than taking Corbin Burnes in round 1. I started the draft with intentions to take a ton of SP but it appeared many others had the same idea. I decided to pivot and focus on hitters who can notch SBs and closers. I think getting Acuna in round 2 at pick 20 was a steal.

My favorite pick was Jordan Walker in round 13 at slot 149. I hope he continues to mash as he looks like a viable ROY candidate. I felt fortunate to land Triston Casas at 164 in round 14 since most of the starting 1B were gone by that point.

The draft was competitive so I expect the season to equally be competitive.

Best of luck!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 09:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So how did everyone like their draft?

My SP is weak other than taking Corbin Burnes in round 1. I started the draft with intentions to take a ton of SP but it appeared many others had the same idea. I decided to pivot and focus on hitters who can notch SBs and closers. I think getting Acuna in round 2 at pick 20 was a steal.

My favorite pick was Jordan Walker in round 13 at slot 149. I hope he continues to mash as he looks like a viable ROY candidate. I felt fortunate to land Triston Casas at 164 in round 14 since most of the starting 1B were gone by that point.

Best of luck!

You had a very solid draft! Looks like several teams drafted well. Should be a fun season.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 09:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So how did everyone like their draft?

Best of luck!

You took Trout and Romano, who I hoped to get.  Without Trout for OF,  then I went back to my draft good young pitchers and try to get hitters around round 9 and on.  That was working OK, until people jumped up and took the Cleveland Double Play Combo I wanted.  It most drafts, I could get the Cleveland second baseman and shortstop, but not this draft.  I also could not get either first baseman Walker at 10 or 11, or Cron.   

So I did get young pitchers I wanted.  I got relievers for a change, I have never drafted relievers, but that has cost me points, so this year I wanted Clase of Cleveland and I got Bieber also and others.  I like my pitching.  My hitting is another story.  I did get players I wanted round 10 on in Salvador Perez, Yelich, Garcia, Suarez, T.Hernandez, Happ, so I did get some hitters I had ear marked for round 10 and on after I got young pitchers.  

I already have an opening day move to make with 2 players already on IL.  So one open spot has to be a First Base to replace injured Votto who I took late in draft.  There are a couple I have my eyes on Wednesday morning as my 1st choice and a back-up choice if someone grabs him.  Once the season starts, I will be looking for hot bats each month.  I'm going to have to platoon hot bats, and I knew this going all in on pitching early.  Trout would have helped replace Judge who I had last year in my OF,  but I was hoping he would slide to me in 3 as a steal.  I'm still glad I got Cleveland's Bieber and Clase.  

I rate my Pitching Solid but my hitting not so good, so I will be looking for this years Hot Bats that went undrafted over the season. I'm stealing from 1960's Dodgers and Mets who won with so so hitters, but good pitching, as did 1940 Reds.

Everybody said they enjoyed the Draft and The New League.   12 Bengals Fans should make a great Baseball League. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 07:06 PM)kevin Wrote: then I went back to my draft good young pitchers and try to get hitters around round 9 and on.  

You were one of the guys messing up my plan to focus on SP.  Wink

It was a fun draft. I'll probably regret it when my SP get lit up during the first month.
Reply/Quote
I just wanted to say that I appreciate yall leaving a little meat on the bone out there in the FA pool....Lol. Trust me, I had to change my draft strategy as well. Managers on both sides of me were snapping up my targets. I was happy to grab Turner and Gimenez for my middle infield. Just hope that they both stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 07:06 PM)kevin Wrote: You took Trout and Romano, who I hoped to get.  Without Trout for OF,  then I went back to my draft good young pitchers and try to get hitters around round 9 and on.  That was working OK, until people jumped up and took the Cleveland Double Play Combo I wanted.  It most drafts, I could get the Cleveland second baseman and shortstop, but not this draft.  I also could not get either first baseman Walker at 10 or 11, or Cron.   

So I did get young pitchers I wanted.  I got relievers for a change, I have never drafted relievers, but that has cost me points, so this year I wanted Clase of Cleveland and I got Bieber also and others.  I like my pitching.  My hitting is another story.  I did get players I wanted round 10 on in Salvador Perez, Yelich, Garcia, Suarez, T.Hernandez, Happ, so I did get some hitters I had ear marked for round 10 and on after I got young pitchers.  

I already have an opening day move to make with 2 players already on IL.  So one open spot has to be a First Base to replace injured Votto who I took late in draft.  There are a couple I have my eyes on Wednesday morning as my 1st choice and a back-up choice if someone grabs him.  Once the season starts, I will be looking for hot bats each month.  I'm going to have to platoon hot bats, and I knew this going all in on pitching early.  Trout would have helped replace Judge who I had last year in my OF,  but I was hoping he would slide to me in 3 as a steal.  I'm still glad I got Cleveland's Bieber and Clase.  

I rate my Pitching Solid but my hitting not so good, so I will be looking for this years Hot Bats that went undrafted over the season. I'm stealing from 1960's Dodgers and Mets who won with so so hitters, but good pitching, as did 1940 Reds.

Everybody said they enjoyed the Draft and The New League.   12 Bengals Fans should make a great Baseball League. 

Not all of these managers are Bengals fans. We have mostly Bengals but there are some Browns, Steelers, and Chiefs fans sprinkled in as well. Most are Reds fans but not everyone. Hall is from Missouri, so he's a Cardinals fan. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 02:13 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Not all of these managers are Bengals fans. We have mostly Bengals but there are some Browns, Steelers, and Chiefs fans sprinkled in as well. Most are Reds fans but not everyone. Hall is from Missouri, so he's a Cardinals fan. 

Then Hall is in good shape.  To me it looks like St Louis and then comes everybody else in the NL Central.  I expect them to walk away with it, and the question is can any of the others rise up to Wild Card Team.  Browns fans have a good young team in The Cleveland Guardians.  So those Fans play-off hopes have to be high start of this season.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:09 PM)kevin Wrote: Then Hall is in good shape.  To me it looks like St Louis and then comes everybody else in the NL Central.  I expect them to walk away with it, and the question is can any of the others rise up to Wild Card Team.  Browns fans have a good young team in The Cleveland Guardians.  So those Fans play-off hopes have to be high start of this season.  

Agree! I'm curious to see if Winker can resurrect his career in Milwaukee.  
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:53 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agree! I'm curious to see if Winker can resurrect his career in Milwaukee.  

He can be THE FONZ
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Be thankful that you guys don't have to face Ohtani 3 times as a pitcher in the first matchup, let alone his bat. Sucks! Not looking good for the Dizzles. Hate it for whoever gets that assignment during the All-Star break.

Edit: I haven't looked yet but knowing my luck it will probably be me AGAIN!....Lol
Reply/Quote
Not sure how many from the League on this site. Doesn't look like many. I do want to say that I'll be glad when this 2 week start over with. It is more fun when we play a different member each week. This does happen at start of season and All-Star break.

I said I wasn't sticking with the lousy hitters I drafted, unless they did something. In one week. I used up my 11 add on's for this period. Mostly for hitting. I was without a First Base a few games. I finally found a Free Agent who hit a homer and put up some points. He was with Milwaukee and Miami but now with Oakland where he should get playing time, Aguilar. He can hit homers if he can get the bat on the ball, which is what I want at First Base. Up to now there was no First Baseman worth adding. While at it, I decided to dump a drafted shortstop not hitting for a 2nd / SS who is hitting. Then while at it, why not add 2 players already close to 50 points. One an OF, the other a 3rd Base for Reds who soon may also be a First Base by ESPN after 10 games there. Hey, this is how I got Devers when he first came up and was hitting in April before anybody knew who Devers was. This 24 year old OF Garrett for Milwaukee is around 50 points already and could be a young Super Star.

With a 160 add on limit, I won't be doing this all season. But I drafted good pitching, but my hitters stink, as per worst hitting numbers in league. There will be weeks my pitchers will not put up these kind of points I'm getting, and so The HOT Hitters in April needed added. I had a simple priority. They had to hit a Homer before I added them, and be putting up double digit points. Now I switched to close to 50 points, That will soon go to close to 100 points. I am going to have hitting, not going on last years stats as in the draft, but by going on this years numbers.

This Vosler is hitting so great for Reds, when and if Votto returns, Reds would be crazy to send Vosler to minors or bench him. He can play 3rd, or DH or just leave him at 1st and make injured Votto be the DH. The Reds are like my fantasy team, they can use all the hitting they can find, and Vosler is ripping the cover off the ball and should be the last Red to take a seat. I had to add him, and who knows, once ESPN adds First Base to his name, he could end up my best First Base all year, even if he plays another position, the First Base ESPN adds on will stay.

Anyway, I'm glad I added Aguilar because I had nobody at First, and Garrett Mitchell, Vosler and this 2nd / SS for Atlanta hitting well. It's a much needed upgrade, even if I did have to use up this weeks add on's before a 3 game weekend. I was in dire need of a First Baseman and a Hitting Upgrade. I had to drop a good pitcher who will be injured until late May or longer, and a closer off to a bad start, but so early to give up on a closer, but I needed hitting to compete in this tough league. You need a good blend of Pitching and Hitting, and I only had the Pitching, but I'm trying to get some more POP in my hitters.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 01:34 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: You were one of the guys messing up my plan to focus on SP.  Wink

It was a fun draft. I'll probably regret it when my SP get lit up during the first month.

(04-06-2023, 04:20 AM)kevin Wrote: Not sure how many from the League on this site.  Doesn't look like many.   I do want to say that I'll be glad when this 2 week start over with.  It is more fun when we play a different member each week.  This does happen at start of season and All-Star break.

League note: A mistake was made in scoring concerning pitchers. We wanted to reward pitchers that have CGs since it is fairly rare these days. In doing so, Scott mistakenly awarded pitchers 6 points per inning completed. That is incorrect. Moving forward in the next matchup it will be 2 points per inning completed with 6 being awarded to pitchers that throw a complete game. Basically, the two scoring columns are right next to one another and he should have been wearing his glasses. He will announce it on the League page tonight. I am giving you guys a heads up. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 05:28 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: League note: A mistake was made in scoring concerning pitchers. We wanted to reward pitchers that have CGs since it is fairly rare these days. In doing so, Scott mistakenly awarded pitchers 6 points per inning completed. That is incorrect. Moving forward in the next matchup it will be 2 points per inning completed with 6 being awarded to pitchers that throw a complete game. Basically, the two scoring columns are right next to one another and he should have been wearing his glasses. He will announce it on the League page tonight. I am giving you guys a heads up. 

Sounds good to me and thank you for letting us know.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 05:28 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: League note: A mistake was made in scoring concerning pitchers. We wanted to reward pitchers that have CGs since it is fairly rare these days. In doing so, Scott mistakenly awarded pitchers 6 points per inning completed. That is incorrect. Moving forward in the next matchup it will be 2 points per inning completed with 6 being awarded to pitchers that throw a complete game. Basically, the two scoring columns are right next to one another and he should have been wearing his glasses. He will announce it on the League page tonight. I am giving you guys a heads up. 

Yes, Thanks.   Then I was right to go after more Hitting POP.   Pitching points will be going down starting Monday. 

I have the most pitched innings, so I could feel bad that I benefited from this the most. However we were all playing by the same rule mistake unknown to us, so I'm not going be down on myself for rules that applied to everybody the first 2 weeks. I will have to watch my pitchers going forward as will all of us, because per the new rules some of my pitchers would not be doing as good as they look now. Flexen would not be positive, he would be negative. However most of my pitchers would be positive.

Thanks for The Info of changes coming Monday. I assume this will change pitchers in Free Agency going forward, because our ESPN Free Agency stats are based on our league Rules. I know this from other ESPN Leagues that I'm in each year, and how the Free Agency Stats change per the League Rules. So Pitchers in Free Agency now, may not be doing as Hot as they appear. Something to watch out for. The math not that hard. If a F/A pitcher has 10 innings, that is 20 points, not 60, so subtract 40 from his Total Points before you jump on Adding him. See how he is really doing.

Glad it was caught a week after Opening Day, and not months later. It's why they put erasers on pencils. Main thing is he got The League up and running,

1968 Bengal Fan

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 06:04 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Sounds good to me and thank you for letting us know.

(04-06-2023, 06:31 PM)kevin Wrote: Yes, Thanks.   Then I was right to go after more Hitting POP.   Pitching points will be going down starting Monday. 

I have the most pitched innings, so I could feel bad that I benefited from this the most.  However we were all playing by the same rule mistake unknown to us, so I'm not going be down on myself for rules that applied to everybody the first 2 weeks.  I will have to watch my pitchers going forward as will all of us, because per the new rules some of my pitchers would not be doing as good as they look now. Flexen would not be positive, he would be negative.  However most of my pitchers would be positive.

Thanks for The Info of changes coming Monday.  I assume this will change pitchers in Free Agency going forward, because our ESPN Free Agency stats are based on our league Rules. I know this from other ESPN Leagues that I'm in each year, and how the Free Agency Stats change per the League Rules. So Pitchers in Free Agency now, may not be doing as Hot as they appear.  Something to watch out for.  The math not that hard.  If a F/A pitcher has 10 innings, that is 20 points, not 60, so subtract 40 from his Total Points before you jump on Adding him. See how he is really doing.

Glad it was caught a week after Opening Day, and not months later.  It's why they put erasers on pencils. Main thing is he got The League up and running,

1968 Bengal Fan

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Appreciate it! It was strictly a clerical error. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:47 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Appreciate it! It was strictly a clerical error. 

OK, I have 2 pitchers who would be a little negative, not positive points.  Flexen and Taijuan Walker.  All the rest would remain positive points.  

Now nobody can say this cost them a weeks loss.  We all were playing by the same rules for 2 weeks.  It's like complaining if the Bengals have to play in the snow, Hey, whoever Bengals played was in the same snow.   Plus the teams that are behind. if they subtract innings points, they are still behind.  

We all started under the same rules.  Come Monday the rules change.  No big deal.   I do say beware of Free Agent Pitcher Points, they will be off.  Do the math and choose Free Agent Pitchers wisely for now.  In a few weeks, Free Agency Pitchers will look more where they should be. 

It's simple.  A pitcher around 10 innings now, subtract 40.  A pitcher around 5 innings now, subtract 20.  That puts you in the ball park of where they are under the new rules coming Monday.  Not that we should do that to the stats, NO. Just do it in your head for now when looking at Free Agent Pitchers. In a couple weeks you won't have to, as Free Agency Points clear up under the new rules.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, I see the changing of points system was cancelled because it cost some teams a loss, and it wasn't suppose to do that. So reversed back and they get a win. I would have had a win either way. So I see we are staying with the original points system. That's not such a bad thing, the old league was maybe too hard on pitchers, much harder than an average ESPN league. So maybe not so many negative pitching points as in past with few positive pitchers. For this year anyway.

So points system was changed back because it would have cost people who looked like they won first match and thrown a loss on them. So League Manager simply put it back to where it was at start. So the error we play with all season, but we are all playing by same rules, so it's equal and fair. Main thing is he got The League up and running with 12 people in it. Still should be a fun season either way.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:23 PM)kevin Wrote: Still should be a fun season either way.

For sure, and that's what counts most. We'll have some fun from week to week as we watch my team win it all.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 11:23 PM)kevin Wrote: Well, I see the changing of points system was cancelled because it cost some teams a loss, and it wasn't suppose to do that.  So reversed back and they get a win.  I would have had a win either way.  So I see we are staying with the original points system.  That's not such a bad thing, the old league was maybe too hard on pitchers, much harder than an average ESPN league.  So maybe not so many negative pitching points as in past with few positive pitchers.  For this year anyway.  

So points system was changed back because it would have cost people who looked like they won first match and thrown a loss on them.  So League Manager simply put it back to where it was at start.  So the error we play with all season, but we are all playing by same rules, so it's equal and fair.  Main thing is he got The League up and running with 12 people in it.  Still should be a fun season either way.

Yeah, we tried to fix the original scoring mistake, but ESPN wouldn't co-operate. It's a new league so we're still working out the kinks. That should be about it for any scoring changes moving forward. WE got this league up and running. Scott spends more time at a computer desk than I do so he does the numbers. Him and I are friends going all the way back to HS football. His father is the mayor of our city. We have been doing fantasy leagues together for at least 30 years. He does the numbers and I find the members. Tha's how we do it. Obviously, it isn't easy and we try to accommodate every member that we can.

Personally, I didn't mind starting out 0-1 by losing to Brad, but we didn't want the scoring change to punish members that stayed active and balled out in week one such as Team Marsh. She was down 150 points after day one, but she kept on grinding and pulled out a W. The change would have cost her a hard-fought win and we didn't like the idea of that.

All of that said, we do apologize. It wasn't our intention. There shouldn't be many, if any changes moving forward. Appreciate the patience. Getting a 12 team FBB league up and moving forward smoothly is never easy. Great week one and it's going to be a competitive season as we push on. 
Reply/Quote