Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Claim QB Driskel from 49ers
(09-04-2016, 05:11 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Certainly a surprising move. Has to be more to it than we know.

[Image: wibd.gif]

Reply/Quote
You never know. Maybe Wenning didn't want to sign a PS deal with us. I don't want to read too much into this. We'd be stupid not to hang on to McCarron for as long as we can. Driskoll was awful in preseason with SF. Maybe they can develop him into a #2 on the PS. He's big and athletic.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 09:21 PM)jeremydc Wrote: [Image: wibd.gif]

Aren't you clever. 
Reply/Quote
Quote:Not on the list is Keith Wenning, last year's quarterback on the squad who was the No. 3 quarterback this preseason. That's because the Bengals have moved on to the 6-4, 230-pound Driskel, the 49ers' sixth-round pick out of Louisiana Tech.

The Bengals love big, tall strong-armed quarterbacks and the fact Driskel's 4.56 40-yard dash was the fastest of the quarterbacks at the NFL's scouting combine makes him even more of an intriguing prospect..
Call it the first move in the bid to replace AJ McCarron, Dalton's talented backup who doesn't figure to be around for another contract. By claiming Driskel (their first Opening Week waiver claim since the Brandon Tate Sunday of 2011), the Bengals theoretically don't have to spend a draft pick on a quarterback next April if they like what they see. And they'll most likely keep him on the 53, the first time they've gone with three quarterbacks in the Green-Dalton Era.

At least Hobson knows how to put lipstick on a pig..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 09:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: At least Hobson knows how to put lipstick on a pig..

Awesome take on this!

This guys was the worst of the awful QBs in SF. My goodness.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 09:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: At least Hobson knows how to put lipstick on a pig..

I don't always agree with Hobspin, but it makes sense. They get to work with Driskel for a year and see if he's worthy. If so, they could be free to deal Mac.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
I mean, it makes sense in a Mike Brown kind of way.

By taking who, they believe, is the best young QB on the market that has potential to be molded into a good back up QB, they give themselves the option to trade McCarron.

Especially since freaking Bradford, who will probably tear his achilles tendon within the first 5 weeks of the season, was able to fetch a first round pick + another pick.

I could see them doing another trade deadline Palmer type trade to the first team to lose their starter and enter desperation mode, as Minnesota did.

At the same time, how can they view Driskel as a replacement for McCarron when he couldn't even make it on the 49ers roster, a team with basically no solution at QB outside of three worst QBs from the top of the 2011 draft?

He was beaten out by players that you couldn't give away to other rosters.

So who knows. I am a little perturbed that, a day after we put another defensive lineman on the IR, we sign a QB that will never see a meaningful snap in the entire season.

But, at the end of the day, I'm just a fan and I don't really know shit about anything, so I'll just sit here and drink my tea.
Reply/Quote
He's not a very good qb but I feel like we develop qbs really well so who knows he's a very fast qb he ran a faster 40 than Tyler boyd at the combine just FYI
Reply/Quote
Here is his scouting report from the combine.  It looks as though he had a ton of different OCs in his college career.  There is a telltale line at the end about how he could pay dividends with patience and coaching. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jeff-driskel?id=2555262
Reply/Quote
From a development standpoint, Driskel probably landed in a good place. Maybe a year behind Dalton and McCarron he could learn a lot.
Reply/Quote
This move seems like a real head scratcher, to me. Unless the Bengals had eyes on drafting Driskel, and feel like SF just simply did a poor job in developing him.

What alarms me even more that this move, is adding Chykie Brown and Trey Hopkins to the 53. Could this be the tell-tale sign that the injuries to Dennard, Ogbuihe, and Fisher are more serious than they are letting on?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This move seems like a real head scratcher, to me.  Unless the Bengals had eyes on drafting Driskel, and feel like SF just simply did a poor job in developing him.  

What alarms me even more that this move, is adding Chykie Brown and Trey Hopkins to the 53.  Could this be the tell-tale sign that the injuries to Dennard, Ogbuihe, and Fisher are more serious than they are letting on?

He is looked at like a very developmental qb but I think they like his measurable a and that he could develop into a good backup when they trade mccarron also Dennard ogbuiehi and Kraft will 100 percent be avaliable week 1 according to Lewis today 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:22 AM)Jpoore Wrote: He is looked at like a very developmental qb but I think they like his measurable a and that he could develop into a good backup when they trade mccarron also Dennard ogbuiehi and Kraft will 100 percent be avaliable week 1 according to Lewis today 

Yes, I get the part about developmental QB.  Just seems like they must have really wanted him, to go about getting him in the fashion that they chose. 

As to what Coach Lewis said, I sure hope he's telling the truth.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, I get the part about developmental QB.  Just seems like they must have really wanted him, to go about getting him in the fashion that they chose. 

I really think a huge part of this was simply replacing our current #3 QB. We ALWAYS have 3 QBs even if one is on the PS. You need the extra arm for practice, scout team and to help develop pass catchers. We have a ton of young receivers we are trying to teach up, I'm sure we noticed a glaring need for an upgrade over Wenning. Maybe coming out of the preseason that was marked internally as one of our biggest needs. We put a claim in on Mettenberger, gave a big UDFA signing bonus to the kid from Toledo so we were trying all offseason to upgrade.

I think we'll see him stick around on the roster until we need to waive him for someone else, Burfict week 4 at the latest, and then he'll go to the PS.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, I get the part about developmental QB.  Just seems like they must have really wanted him, to go about getting him in the fashion that they chose. 

This close I'm sure he is because he won't let a player play if they don't practice. And maybe they went after him because there was interest in other teams or they thought there was gonna be. Either way I feel he could be a decent backup so I'm okay with it
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, I read that Driskel was the #1 Pro Style QB prospect coming out of high school and was dubbed "the next Tim Tebow".

If the Bengals are planning on trading McCarron in 2016, I'd say they waited too long and also Driskel wouldn't be a very good backup yet. I'd hope this is more of a move with 2017 in mind.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm a huge Gator fan and also a fan of Jeff Driskel. He's got a cannon for an arm and is very athletic. No, he's not the second coming, but he's a freaking great option as a #3 QB and can develop into a very solid backup once we lose McCarron.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:03 AM)Goalpost Wrote: From a development standpoint, Driskel probably landed in a good place.   Maybe a year behind Dalton and McCarron he could learn a lot.

Better QBs than the ones in SF...

(09-05-2016, 11:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fwiw, I read that Driskel was the #1 Pro Style QB prospect coming out of high school and was dubbed "the next Tim Tebow".

If the Bengals are planning on trading McCarron in 2015, I'd say they waited too long and also Driskel wouldn't be a very good backup yet. I'd hope this is more of a move with 2016 in mind

I think you meant 2016, with an eye on a 2017 trade.  And I would say that is precisely what is transpiring.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 11:59 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Better QBs than the ones in SF...

I think you meant 2016, with an eye on a 2017 trade.  And I would say that is precisely what is transpiring.

Fixed. Maybe they got a call on McCarron and couldn't move him because they have no one to take his place. It's also possible they saw the Bradford trade and decided they need to get prepared in case they get a crazy offer next year.

That said, Bradford is on a multi-year deal. Will a team really give up much for McC when he only has 1 year on his deal? I'm honestly not sure if teams are able to negotiate a new contract for a player they haven't traded for yet.
Reply/Quote