Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Claim QB Driskel from 49ers
(09-05-2016, 10:14 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This move seems like a real head scratcher, to me.  Unless the Bengals had eyes on drafting Driskel, and feel like SF just simply did a poor job in developing him.  

What alarms me even more that this move, is adding Chykie Brown and Trey Hopkins to the 53.  Could this be the tell-tale sign that the injuries to Dennard, Ogbuihe, and Fisher are more serious than they are letting on?

Driskel basically hit the lottery with (now) having Dalton and McCarron as role models, Zampese et al for a coaching staff, and will likely get some tutoring from someone in the Tom House group as well. No doubt in my mind that the Bengals see something in him that is worthwhile pursuing. Even with Wenning being well-versed in our system, he lost his spot to Driskel.

And speaking of being well-versed in our system, I see that as the driving factor behind bringing Brown and Hopkins back, for the time being at least. Beyond that, upgrades at those positions can't appear soon enough imho.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Believe it or not: our OC and QB coach know more about QBs that most on these Boards. They obviously saw something in Driskel that they thought they could develop. It has cost us nothing but a LB with an attitude (who we can still place on the PS if we want).

I have zero issue with this move. I will say that I am not overly happy that we didn't move to get a TE, CB, or Edge rusher
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They waived P.J. Dawson to claim him.
Reply/Quote
There is no point in moaning and groaning over this as some very early posts....It doesn't hurt the team.....Zampese must have wanted this guy.....or a scout.....and we aren't going to be able to keep Dalton AND McCarron forever....at some point McCarron is going to be a starter somewhere.....So having the best QB on the practice squad we can get does make sense when you consider we probably won't have Dalton AND McCarron in 2017 season. ....and if a team comes offering a # 1 pick for McCarron as Vikings trade for Bradford, we have option to say yes or no....It's a heads up move and Bengals playing chess, 3 or 4 moves ahead on their QB situation in 2017.........there is nothing here for fans to groan about. It's only our practice squad QB.....Now if we don't make this move, trade McCarron, Dalton gets injured, we have no good back-up QB, we have to draft a QB instead of another team need fans want, then you might have something to complain about....This move is just Bengals getting the best QB they can for practice squad. They can coach him up a little.,...If Zampese saw something in this guy he likes, thats worth going on because ZAmpese has coached Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton and AJ McCarron.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 12:37 PM)kevin Wrote: There is no point in moaning and groaning over this as some very early posts....It doesn't hurt the team.....Zampese must have wanted this guy.....or a scout.....and we aren't going to be able to keep Dalton AND McCarron forever....at some point McCarron is going to be a starter somewhere.....So having the best QB on the practice squad we can get does make sense when you consider we probably won't have Dalton AND McCarron in 2017 season. ....and if a team comes offering a # 1 pick for McCarron as  Vikings trade for Bradford, we have option to say yes or no....It's a heads up move and Bengals playing chess, 3 or 4 moves ahead on their QB situation in 2017.........there is nothing here for fans to groan about. It's only our practice squad QB.

He actually will count against our 53 he will be on that roster not practice squad
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 12:42 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He actually will count against our 53 he will be on that roster not practice squad

For now....I've read that can change as we get injured players back or suspended Burfict back. .....It's nothing to go into a panic about. Bengals know what they are doing.  They can't keep Dalton and McCarron both much longer. Next year both will want to be starters, so that means a trade in the future. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 12:54 PM)kevin Wrote: For now....I've read that can change as we get injured players back or suspended Burfict back. .....It's nothing to go into a panic about. Bengals know what they are doing.  They can't keep Dalton and McCarron both much longer. Next year both will want to be starters, so that means a trade in the future. 

Definitely I'm glad we did it now so he can get some time in our system under his belt.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 06:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: They've likely missed their best shot at trading McCarron for a high pick.

Until an injury occurs to a contender. Then the price goes up higher potentially. 

Think they had no interest in moving AJ this year, yet know they must next year.

Then found out what the Vikings paid, rethought situation and are preparing in case right offer arises. 

Will take until midseason probably for teams to realize if they are in contention or not that will ante up. 

Which gives plenty of time to see what they have in Driskel. 

Certain Tobin liked Driskel already though or the move would not have been made. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 12:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Believe it or not: our OC and QB coach know more about QBs that most on these Boards. They obviously saw something in Driskel that they thought they could develop. It has cost us nothing but a LB with an attitude (who we can still place on the PS if we want).

I have zero issue with this move. I will say that I am not overly happy that we didn't move to get a TE, CB, or Edge rusher

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Surprising since the Bengals haven't normally carried three quarterbacks and they rarely give up so quickly on a third round prospect.

I have to think that "development project" wasn't high on the 49er's list of quarterback qualities this season so I don't know that we can measure this guy by his experience there. Obviously they're hopeful that signing Driskel will free them to cash in on McCarron if the opportunity arises and also save them a draft pick next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 03:13 PM)Roland Wrote: Surprising since the Bengals haven't normally carried three quarterbacks and they rarely give up so quickly on a third round prospect.

I have to think that "development project" wasn't high on the 49er's list of quarterback qualities this season so I don't know that we can measure this guy by his experience there.  Obviously they're hopeful that signing Driskel will free them to cash in on McCarron if the opportunity arises and also save them a draft pick next year.

Fwiw, I think the 49ers rolled with Christian Ponder (over Driskel) as 3rd QB because they might release or trade Kaepernick at some point.

If so, Ponder would give them a viable experienced backup for Gabbert. Driskel would not.

Btw, kinda funny how Driskel has already played with 4 of the top QB prospects from 2011: Gabbert, Ponder, Kaep and now Dalton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 03:13 PM)Roland Wrote: Surprising since the Bengals haven't normally carried three quarterbacks and they rarely give up so quickly on a third round prospect.

I have to think that "development project" wasn't high on the 49er's list of quarterback qualities this season so I don't know that we can measure this guy by his experience there.  Obviously they're hopeful that signing Driskel will free them to cash in on McCarron if the opportunity arises and also save them a draft pick next year.

Exactly I can't name their first string receivers much less their 4th string ones. So no way you can use that experience for here
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 04:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fwiw, I think the 49ers rolled with Christian Ponder (over Driskel) as 3rd QB because they might release or trade Kaepernick at some point.

If so, Ponder would give them a viable experienced backup for Gabbert. Driskel would not.

Btw, kinda funny how Driskel has already played with 4 of the top QB prospects from 2011: Gabbert, Ponder, Kaep and now Dalton.

Also funny how 3 of the top 6 QBs in that draft are currently 49ers.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 04:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Btw, kinda funny how Driskel has already played with 4 of the top QB prospects from 2011: Gabbert, Ponder, Kaep and now Dalton.

The driskel curse?
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 05:04 PM)Beaker Wrote: The driskel curse?

It's the "passed on Andy Dalton" curse
Reply/Quote
It's the QB class of 2011 is largely a giant bag of crap curse.
Reply/Quote
I haven’t followed the team as much the last couple of years, Marvin’s playoff record keeps getting worse, yet the stubborn Bengals keep coming back with the same head coach and the same quarterback. Got me discouraged.

But with the acquisition of Jeff Driskel, I have new hope. If I squint just the right way I think I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. Go Bengals!
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
I really hope that both Andy and AJ don't get injured in the Jets game. The thought of Driskle starting vs the Steelers minus Burfict is downright scary..on the other hand imagine us with the number one pick in the 2017 draft..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 02:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe they realized how unprepared they were to trade McCarron when Zimmer came calling with a mega deal, and developing another #2 became a priority.

Bingo!
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 12:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Believe it or not: our OC and QB coach know more about QBs that most on these Boards. They obviously saw something in Driskel that they thought they could develop. It has cost us nothing but a LB with an attitude (who we can still place on the PS if we want).

This.

Rep
Reply/Quote