Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Bengals Cut The Cord On Nelson
I saw this on rotoworld...

"Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Bengals are not interested in re-signing free agent S Reggie Nelson.

With 2013 third-round pick Shawn Williams ready for a bigger role and George Iloka locked up to a long-term deal, the Bengals appear comfortable letting Nelson walk. Nelson will turn 33 in September, but he showed no signs of decline while leading the league in interceptions last season. Robinson reports the Vikings and Bucs are interested. "

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/?ls=roto:nfl:morenewsbottom

About halfway down the page. Can't say I'm crazy about this move he was a nightmare for the Steelers. Shawn Williams looks pretty solid though.
Reply/Quote
Good luck Reggie, turned your career around here and became one of my favorite players.

Hope you land back on with Zimmer and continue to play great. Steeler killler is what you were. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Love me some Reggie. Shawn has big shoes to fill.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Of course not....our front office is cheap
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Seems like the rumors of us signing one only of our safeties was true.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
So this means we HAVE to sign Jones right? I mean, we can't just let our secondary walk out the door.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jim O posted on Twitter that bengals offered a 2-year deal early in week but it didn't stick. Decided to move on.
https://twitter.com/JimOwczarski/status/707642827195420673
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:10 PM)Trademark Wrote: Of course not....our front office is cheap

Nothing to do with that, we only needed one. We drafted Williams for a reason and he showed he could play last year. We went with the younger and more expensive one. No reason to pay Reggie when his cost is at it's highest coming off a big year and he is at his oldest.
Reply/Quote
Keeping Iloka and promoting Williams is the right move. Nelson is a great player and might have a year or two left but he is 33 and will probably hit the veterans wall.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Trading for Reggie was such a great deal for the franchise. What was it David Jones and a low round pick?

Gonna miss seeing him in stripes. He will be happy with Zim in Minnesota.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So this means we HAVE to sign Jones right?  I mean, we can't just let our secondary walk out the door.

I would think so....if not, this is a failure.  Not a total one with Iloka signed, but a failure nonetheless.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So this means we HAVE to sign Jones right?  I mean, we can't just let our secondary walk out the door.

I'm surprised at the lack of noise on the Adam Jones front. Either there are a large number of suitors that he's taking his time to hear them all out or it's not what he hoped.

Either way, I would be shocked to see a CB signed for anything higher than $6 mill a year. That may end up being Adam Jones. But it could also be Hall (hopefully $5 mill or less) or an outside FA. You can't imagine the Bengals would feel comfortable with just Dennard, DreK, Shaw, CLew, and a high draft pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would think so....if not, this is a failure.  Not a total one with Iloka signed, but a failure nonetheless.

Agreed. MLJ, Iloka, Nelson and Pacman were the big 4 imo.

If they only sign 1 out of 4 I think we have to view that as a failure.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm surprised at the lack of noise on the Adam Jones front. Either there are a large number of suitors that he's taking his time to hear them all out or it's not what he hoped.

Either way, I would be shocked to see a CB signed for anything higher than $6 mill a year. That may end up being Adam Jones. But it could also be Hall (hopefully $5 mill or less) or an outside FA. You can't imagine the Bengals would feel comfortable with just Dennard, DreK, Shaw, CLew, and a high draft pick.

If they pay Leon Hall 5 mil, they're nuckin futs.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:13 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Trading for Reggie was such a great deal for the franchise. What was it David Jones and a low round pick?

Gonna miss seeing him in stripes. He will be happy with Zim in Minnesota.

It was a Jones and a conditional 7th. The best part was that he didn't meet whatever the conditions were so we never had to give them the 7th rounder. It was just Nelson for David Jones straight up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I saw this on rotoworld...

"Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Bengals are not interested in re-signing free agent S Reggie Nelson.

With 2013 third-round pick Shawn Williams ready for a bigger role and George Iloka locked up to a long-term deal, the Bengals appear comfortable letting Nelson walk. Nelson will turn 33 in September, but he showed no signs of decline while leading the league in interceptions last season. Robinson reports the Vikings and Bucs are interested. "

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/?ls=roto:nfl:morenewsbottom

About halfway down the page. Can't say I'm crazy about this move he was a nightmare for the Steelers. Shawn Williams looks pretty solid though.

I just hope he doesn't go to an AFC North team.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. MLJ, Iloka, Nelson and Pacman were the big 4 imo.

If they only sign 1 out of 4 I think we have to view that as a failure.

Absolutely.....and I'm not 100% sold on Williams yet either.  He flashed, but will he play consistently well?

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Nothing to do with that, we only needed one. We drafted Williams for a reason and he showed he could play last year. We went with the younger and more expensive one. No reason to pay Reggie when his cost is at it's highest coming off a big year and he is at his oldest.

Does this not free up some money for Adam Jones?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: If they pay Leon Hall 5 mil, they're nuckin futs.

I'd be livid if they did that. I'd max out at him for maybe $3 if they really think they need him. 
Reply/Quote
They may come back to him once the market settles. He isn't gonna be a top tier guy.
Reply/Quote