Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cuts
(08-30-2022, 08:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It could just be 1 Super Bowl coach that is pounding the table for him. Mike Thomas' rookie year is the only year he hasn't played for a team Zac Taylor is coaching on. Could be Taylor just absolutely loves him some Mike Thomas. When Taylor left the Rams, Thomas didn't get re-signed there and was signed here for 1yr/$850k. So the Super Bowl WINNING coach didn't even see the value in him at one year of league minimum pay.

I'm pretty sure "must have some value that we don't see/recognize" is how people convinced others to get into NFTs/Crypto.   Hilarious

So the QB coach made the roster decisions at WR when Thomas was kept for 4 seasons, but the head coach made the call when he was not re-signed?

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:03 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jonah Williams played 100% of the offensive snaps in the 16 games the Bengals used their starters last year. It was 1,045 offensive snaps.

Ja'Marr Chase played 934 offensive snaps. (I took away the 5 from Week 18, as we're looking at the 16 games.)
Tee Higgins played 710 offensive snaps.
Tyler Boyd played 807 offensive snaps.

Even with all three of them staying pretty healthy, that is still a LOT of snaps where they are not on the field. It's not about taking reps away from them, it's about improving the reps where they're already not on the field. 

Not counting the final Browns game where they played backups, Auden Tate, Trent Taylor, Trenton Irwin, Mike Thomas, and Stanley Morgan played 366 snaps on offense.

That's not an insignificant amount, and that amount will likely increase as Drew Sample sees less playing time due to an improved offensive line meaning he doesn't need to be in there as often as an extra blocker (he played 442 offensive snaps not counting the final game). 

It's about improving THOSE snaps, not taking away from the top 3. The difference between PS players and a quality #4 WR for 366+ snaps on offense can be huge. That's not even touching on the chance that one of the top 3 gets injured and then you're suddenly right now looking at having a PS caliber player as a full time starter, which would be devastating to the offense.

i did the other research before on how little 4/5 WRs get targets and catches in the league..a great majority are lucky if they get 30 catches a season.. now a #4 can add also to  route running, blocking to actually have the top WRs make the plays... Thomas is known for his excellent blocking plus his specialty area can compensate for below avg number for #4 WR  especially when they don't get many targets or catches anyway
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2022, 07:48 PM)Synric Wrote: I hope the Bengals put in a claim to get Tyler Johnson (though I doubt he makes it to the Bengals). He had a solid season in 2021 as an offensive weapon and he plays alot of special teams. 

Yes, at least put in a claim on Tyler Johnson even if he doesn't make it to us. Good WR that can play ST's.

(08-30-2022, 08:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This is just me taking a guess, but maybe his job doesn’t entail tackling. Maybe it’s contain and funneling. But I guess you’d still think he’d make a few more tackles.

That makes more sense, with the lack of tackles his job must be something else lol

(08-30-2022, 08:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well I hope one of these receivers gets to stick around and prove himself or they would have to draft a WR pretty high next near, because the Bengals aren’t going to have their top 3 a whole lot longer.

We should have both Boyd and Higgins here for the next 2 years but yeah, we will have to be drafting a WR early soon.

Maybe even a TE if Hurst blows up this year and we cannot afford him. Still my only concern with the Hurst pickup...

It is just a 1 year deal and I think he has his best season as a pro here with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i did the other research before on how little 4/5 WRs get targets and catches in the league..a great majority are lucky if they get 30 catches a season.. now a #4 can add also to  route running, blocking to actually have the top WRs make the plays... Thomas is known for his excellent blocking plus his specialty area can compensate for below avg number for #4 WR  especially when they don't get many targets or catches anyway

But we love to go 4 or even 5 wide.

Even if no one gets injured our #4 WR would play 10-15 snaps per game at least.  And a lot of those are crucial third downs.

The #4 WR may not be a "starter" but he is a "regular" part of the offense.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Maybe even a TE if Hurst blows up this year and we cannot afford him. Still my only concern with the Hurst pickup...

It is just a 1 year deal and I think he has his best season as a pro here with Burrow.

We got Hurst at a great bargain.  I don't think he would have signed a long-term deal at that price.

I feel that talent wise Hurst for CJ is a wash, but Hurst cost $3.5 million and CJ got $8 million per year.  I am not as high on Hurst as some people here, but I still liked the signing a lot.  The Bengals would have been crazy to pay CJ $8M instead of Hurst for $3.5M.  Hayden and CJ are even the same age.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 07:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We got Hurst at a great bargain.  I don't think he would have signed a long-term deal at that price.

I feel that talent wise Hurst for CJ is a wash, but Hurst cost $3.5 million and CJ got $8 million per year.  I am not as high on Hurst as some people here, but I still liked the signing a lot.  The Bengals would have been crazy to pay CJ $8M instead of Hurst for $3.5M.  Hayden and CJ are even the same age.

All true and feel the same. I don't think Hurst will have a huge year but I think he will have his best season as a pro here if 
he stays healthy. Great bargain as you say, Uzo I think was overpaid by the Jets especially since he is only their 2nd TE right 
now. That is a lot of money to pay for a #2 TE.
Reply/Quote