Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cuts
(08-31-2021, 05:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: - A 7th WR - I thought someone like Jacques Patrick showed more than one of these no-name back-end WRs. I'm scared if any injuries happen to the starting WRs, as I don't think any of Irwin, Thomas, or Morgan is good as a pass catcher.

Don't understand this at all.  Why keep an extra player at a position where we are really weak on the bottom end.

Must have something to do with special teams.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 05:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Didn't show anything last year when we were desperate for quality snaps on the D-line.  But he was a guy who really seemed to have improved.  He was getting good pressure this year.

Hope he can come back this year. Always loved the way he uses his hands and he can stop the run too.

But like you said, he looked really good this TC and Preseason. Much better than last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 05:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: - Isaiah Prince - Maybe I'm being too harsh on him since he was drafted in the 6th round by MIA and let go, then has done nothing with Bengals (primarily due to injury last year), but I'm actually surprised he made it over Jordan as the last OL.

As most of you know I am not one of the "hopeless doom and gloom" guys when it comes to our O-line.  I don't see it as being top of the league, but "average" to "above average" could be pretty damn productive with our weapons at the skill positions.

But the lack of depth terrifies me.  Of our starting 5 only Quinton Spain was the only one who did not miss time games with injury last year.  I like the potential of Carman and Smith, but they are still rookie wild cards.  And neither Johnson nor Prince have looked any good.

So I am not saying they needed to have signed an $18 million-a-year free agent, but I really wish they would have signed a decent swing Tackle  or a solid older vet who could play both OT and OG.

Injuries killed our o-line as much as lack of talent.  We had 11 different O-linemen start for us last year.  Three of them started at more than one position.  Altogether we had 11 different starting o-line combinations.  
Reply/Quote
So Darius Hodge did enough to make the 53? Noice.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 05:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Was also surprised by the Evans cut.

Jordan Evans wasn't cut. Correct?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 06:23 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So Darius Hodge did enough to make the 53? Noice.

Dude deserves it, might of been our best player on D this Preseason...
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 06:30 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Jordan Evans wasn't cut. Correct?

Looking back I don't see him on the cut list...

Thought I heard someone say he got cut though.
Reply/Quote
In the interview Zac did after the cuts, he mentioned that the IR return can happen as quickly as 3 weeks. With the Waynes injury seeming to be something that will keep him out a few weeks to start the season have to wonder if he is a candidate to go to IR along with Kareem opening up two spots.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just saw an article that stated after cuts 18 out of 53 Bengals players are 1st and 2nd year players. That means about 1/3 of the team. I just thought that was an interesting stat.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:01 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I just saw an article that stated after cuts 18 out of 53 Bengals players are 1st and 2nd year players.  That means about 1/3 of the team.   I just thought that was an interesting stat.

Yeah, we are one of the youngest teams in the NFL I heard we were the 3rd youngest earlier this year somewhere I thought.
Reply/Quote
I am dumbfounded that they would keep Stanley Morgan over Taylor...
Reply/Quote
I would have kept another tight end like moss over the 7th wideout (especially with the concussion for our 3rd string TE. But otherwise everything makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:34 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I am dumbfounded that they would keep Stanley Morgan over Taylor...

Morgan is bigger, younger and Phillips shown he is a better Punt Returner and Irwin shown he is a better WR this Preseason.

I can see why, but it was a bit of a surprise.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: roger

In the words of Kareem Abdul Jabbar...hunh?
Reply/Quote
They're higher on Kareem and Shelvin than I am, lower on Bledsoe/Henderson/Patrick. The first two did have a couple of pretty bad screw-ups in preseason that I remember off of the top of my head. Patrick didn't get time against the ones or the twos, leaving me to wonder if he'd have done any better than Perine. All in all there aren't too many surprises. They kept a lot of big, plodding DL and not too many small edge guys on the back end aside from Hodge - they must've concluded that Spence just wasn't all that great.  10 OL is smart, allowing the backups to focus on mastering one spot. I agree with letting MJ go - the guy just refused to play with good leverage. He continued to stand straight up and play with horrible pad level. 7 WR only makes sense if some of those guys are for STs so that must be the case. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:57 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: They're higher on Kareem and Shelvin than I am, lower on Bledsoe/Henderson/Patrick. The first two did have a couple of pretty bad screw-ups in preseason that I remember off of the top of my head. Patrick didn't get time against the ones or the twos, leaving me to wonder if he'd have done any better than Perine. All in all there aren't too many surprises. They kept a lot of big, plodding DL and not too many small edge guys on the back end aside from Hodge - they must've concluded that Spence just wasn't all that great.  10 OL is smart, allowing the backups to focus on mastering one spot. I agree with letting MJ go - the guy just refused to play with good leverage. He continued to stand straight up and play with horrible pad level. 7 WR only makes sense if some of those guys are for STs so that must be the case. 

Kareem and Shelvin played very good from what I saw. Not high on Bledsoe at all.

Really want Henderson and Patrick to make the Practice Squad though, Henderson was a ballhawk all Preseason. Was always 
around the ball and making game changing plays. He was just a victim of the numbers game and we aren't cutting Ricardo 
Allen to keep him on the main team. Patrick just needed to catch the ball better, had a bad drop against the Phins that hurt 
him and all of Mixon, Perine and Evans have great hands. This was the diff.

Patrick is a force in short yardage though, a monster. Want him on the PS bad.
Reply/Quote
I also think they should have kept Patrick over Perine.

With Dobbins ACL injury, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Baltimore to add to their depth...
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 08:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I also think they should have kept Patrick over Perine.

With Dobbins ACL injury, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Baltimore to add to their depth...

Don't say that... Mellow
Reply/Quote
It really kind of bothers me that i like the way this team is handling its business in FA, the draft and cutting players. 

Bothers me in a scared way.  Nervous

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2021, 07:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we are one of the youngest teams in the NFL I heard we were the 3rd youngest earlier this year somewhere I thought.

there are only 5 players over 30

Clark Harris     37
Kevin Huber     36
Riley Reiff        32
Xavier Su'a-filo 30
Quinton Spain  30

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote