Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Dominated the Draft
(05-01-2021, 08:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, so can Hubbard.ThumbsUp

No Hubbard cannot
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Are you new here.... Hilarious
We have numerous posters who resemble that cartoon character who walks around with a dark cloud over his head raining on him all the time..... 

Yeah, you nailed it on that one. Every single person I see making a boo hoo post about this draft are guys who wanted Sewell and were going to be mad no matter what or have done little to no research on the players the Bengals picked.... Shockingly, they tend to be the same guy.  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yep, so can Hubbard.ThumbsUp

(05-04-2021, 09:28 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: No Hubbard cannot

They've tried Hubbard in that role before, but he is far from ideal for it - Similar to what the Bengals did with Geathers.

Here's how I see Hubbard's fit with these draft picks....

Options on PASSING DOWNS....
- Sample is an outside Edge Rusher
- Hubbard kicks inside
- Ogunjobi inside
- Hendrickson the other DE
- Ossai is more of a disguised role Rush DE/LB

I see the Bengals playing a LOT of 5-2-4 defense with interchanging pieces as far as who is rushing/blitzing, who is in coverage, etc. I think that with the addition of the 3 DE draft picks, the Bengals can lay out some really interesting defensive fronts. Almost like a basketball or hockey team does with different line changes based on the situation.

Keeping the same players on the field as above, Hubbard can stay outside & Sample can move inside. You can also put Reader in that mix as well with Shelvin in more of a "Jumbo", collapse the pocket concept

Even a traditional 3-4 works well with these types of DEs & Tackles, especially since they have gone with a secondary that is known for tackling so well.

^ Regardless, with the LBs already on the roster and Ossai, I don't see Hubbard needing to standup for any reason.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:28 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: No Hubbard cannot

The dude is a former Safety, yes he can.

(05-04-2021, 11:42 AM)PDub80 Wrote: They've tried Hubbard in that role before, but he is far from ideal for it - Similar to what the Bengals did with Geathers.

Here's how I see Hubbard's fit with these draft picks....

Options on PASSING DOWNS....
- Sample is an outside Edge Rusher
- Hubbard kicks inside
- Ogunjobi inside
- Hendrickson the other DE
- Ossai is more of a disguised role Rush DE/LB

I see the Bengals playing a LOT of 5-2-4 defense with interchanging pieces as far as who is rushing/blitzing, who is in coverage, etc. I think that with the addition of the 3 DE draft picks, the Bengals can lay out some really interesting defensive fronts. Almost like a basketball or hockey team does with different line changes based on the situation.

Keeping the same players on the field as above, Hubbard can stay outside & Sample can move inside. You can also put Reader in that mix as well with Shelvin in more of a "Jumbo", collapse the pocket concept

Even a traditional 3-4 works well with these types of DEs & Tackles, especially since they have gone with a secondary that is known for tackling so well.

^ Regardless, with the LBs already on the roster and Ossai, I don't see Hubbard needing to standup for any reason.

Lots of ways to go about it to make this Defense unpredictable as hell. Don't understand people saying Hubbard cannot stand up, he is a former Safety and CAN even cover if needed, dude is big, so he is hard to throw over and matches up well with TE's. You can use Hubbard in a variety of ways.
Reply/Quote
Lol
Reply/Quote
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-heres-how-these-10-teams-helped-their-young-qbs-including-ol-help-for-justin-herbert/

The Bengals already had Joe Burrow on the roster. They secured one piece of the infrastructure last year, when they nabbed Tee Higgins at the top of the second round. There was a debate regarding whether they would take go tackle-wide receiver or wide receiver-tackle with their first two picks this year, and they went with the latter option.

Burrow's former LSU teammate, Ja'Marr Chase, was the pick at No. 5. It makes sense to pair your star quarterback with a receiver with whom he has a pre-established rapport, and Chase makes for a good schematic fit alongside Higgins and slot man Tyler Boyd. The issue comes with Jackson Carman, who was a surprising early second-round selection. There was better value on the board at tackle at that time, but there was also considerably better value at receiver, lending credence to the idea that the Bengals should have opted for Penei Sewell at No. 5 and a wideout in the second round.

Cincinnati obviously has time to build out their offense around Burrow, but they simply cannot allow him to be hit as often as he was last year. He's at his most comfortable operating from the shotgun and in empty-backfield sets. That type of alignment places a premium on both tackle play and receivers who can get open quickly. The Bengals are betting that the second half of that equation is the more important one.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals actually did a lot for the OL and the line this season is FAR different than what got rolled out last season.

First, Turner is gone and his methods of lots of line shifts and rotations hurt the line developing cohesion - remember a LOT of the sacks (that were not on Burrow holding on to the ball) were not linemen getting beat off the edge or bull rushed back but rather failing to pick up blitzes and stunts. He also "coached up" Jordan and totally ruined him. Interesting note, once the team got Spain and XSF (both vets NOT coached up by Turner) at Guard a lot of the interior issues stopped.

Second, Reiff is a major upgrade at RT and a lineup of Williams - Spain - Hopkins - Carman - Reiff is hugely better than what we ran out in 2020. And courtesy of us FINALLY having a line focused draft the OL cupboard has been restocked so the next men up are not trash like Redmond and MJ.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 01:11 AM)OUatown Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2021-nfl-draft-heres-how-these-10-teams-helped-their-young-qbs-including-ol-help-for-justin-herbert/

The Bengals already had Joe Burrow on the roster. They secured one piece of the infrastructure last year, when they nabbed Tee Higgins at the top of the second round. There was a debate regarding whether they would take go tackle-wide receiver or wide receiver-tackle with their first two picks this year, and they went with the latter option.

Burrow's former LSU teammate, Ja'Marr Chase, was the pick at No. 5. It makes sense to pair your star quarterback with a receiver with whom he has a pre-established rapport, and Chase makes for a good schematic fit alongside Higgins and slot man Tyler Boyd. The issue comes with Jackson Carman, who was a surprising early second-round selection. There was better value on the board at tackle at that time, but there was also considerably better value at receiver, lending credence to the idea that the Bengals should have opted for Penei Sewell at No. 5 and a wideout in the second round.

Cincinnati obviously has time to build out their offense around Burrow, but they simply cannot allow him to be hit as often as he was last year. He's at his most comfortable operating from the shotgun and in empty-backfield sets. That type of alignment places a premium on both tackle play and receivers who can get open quickly. The Bengals are betting that the second half of that equation is the more important one.

Depends on how people graded the Lineman, I had Carman as my 3rd rated Guard behind Vera-Tucker and Eichenberg who
all can play Tackle in a pinch. I would rather have Chase and Carman than Sewell and Nico Collins even though I would love 
both scenarios.

Very happy with the way we went. Carman could very well be the best OL in this class cause he is made for Guard. It hides 
his weakness with speed rushers so he can just maul and pancake dudes.

(05-06-2021, 01:54 AM)Joelist Wrote: The Bengals actually did a lot for the OL and the line this season is FAR different than what got rolled out last season.

First, Turner is gone and his methods of lots of line shifts and rotations hurt the line developing cohesion - remember a LOT of the sacks (that were not on Burrow holding on to the ball) were not linemen getting beat off the edge or bull rushed back but rather failing to pick up blitzes and stunts. He also "coached up" Jordan and totally ruined him. Interesting note, once the team got Spain and XSF (both vets NOT coached up by Turner) at Guard a lot of the interior issues stopped.

Second, Reiff is a major upgrade at RT and a lineup of Williams - Spain - Hopkins - Carman  - Reiff is hugely better than what we ran out in 2020. And courtesy of us FINALLY having a line focused draft the OL cupboard has been restocked so the next men up are not trash like Redmond and MJ.

Spot on as usual Joelist. Coaching was the biggest problem with the OL the last few years. We brought in Pollack now along
with Reiff, brought back Spain and brought in Carman, D'Ante Smith and Trey Hill. Damn good start and we can add more to 
be able to let MJ go as we already let Redmond go.
Reply/Quote