Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Next HC: Bill Cowher?
(10-31-2017, 12:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Ive always felt since he left the Steelers he's wanted to coach here nothing I can substantiate. Just the way he usually hypes up our players and is generally overly critical of Lewis the couple of times that are coaching situation with Lewis was in limbo he was floating his name out there to potentially want to return to coaching just to say shortly after we settle our situation with Marvin he says he's had a change of heart. He always talks up Mike Brown on CBS whenever he has opportunity.

Back in 2010 when there was some discussion on the possibility that Lewis would not be back, Cowher's name was thrown around a lot and I don't recall him ever shooting down the possibility which just lead to more speculation. Then Lewis was re-signed and, well, you know the rest.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Cowher won't be coming here, there is no logical reason why this would make sense.

If he coaches again it will be Carolina
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
What about Byron Leftwich? I tend to think the Bengals need to make a jump on someone before they get too in-demand. The Rams made a bold move hiring Sean McVay and it's paying off in spades. Bengals should take a risk. Conservatism with the next hire won't get them anywhere they haven't been before, not with this ownership.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 07:36 AM)WycheKid Wrote: What about Byron Leftwich? I tend to think the Bengals need to make a jump on someone before they get too in-demand. The Rams made a bold move hiring Sean McVay and it's paying off in spades. Bengals should take a risk. Conservatism with the next hire won't get them anywhere they haven't been before, not with this ownership.

As HC? Why? 
Reply/Quote
yes, i would take bill cowher. we need a change. we need to focus on simple things.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:29 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: yes, i would take bill cowher. we need a change. we need to focus on simple things.

One thing about Cowher is that he played to his players' strengths. Remember Kordell Stewart and how he was used? Or how in Ben's rookie season, he made sure to lean extremely heavily on the run game?

I get that he probably doesn't want to leave his TV gig nor come to work for Mike Brown and I can understand the reasons why some don't want him anywhere near us, but I think he's the perfect antithesis to Merv and would easily get us over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: To be fair, we did use FA in the MB era pre Lewis and until the mid point of Lewis' term.  We were never the Redskins, but we signed our share of B tier FA's like Barry Foster, Neil O'Donnell, Richmond Webb, Jon Kitna, Gus Frerrotte, Garrison Hearst, Sam Adams, Tory James, Ashley Ambrose, Dexter Jackson, Kevin Hardy, John Thornton, Bobbie Williams, Reggie Kelly, Antonio Bryant, Laverneous Cole's, etc.

and the memories come flooding back. Sad with a few positive exceptions.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 08:13 PM)bonesaw Wrote: alright I'm gonna throw this out there......Bo Pelini.

Stupidest thing I've ever seen is Nebraska firing him.  He was winning 10 games in frickin Lincoln.  Heard that town isn't real impressive to recruits and not a ton of local talent like Ohio, Cali, Texas, FL.  

You might say he is 3-4 this year at YSU....but two OT losses to Pitt and NDSU is not too bad.   The other losses were by a single score too.  

He is firey, takes 0 shit, and ain't skeeeered of nobody.  Could be a pretty good fit

Sounds promising. Hopefully he arrives for interview with his agent and lawyer to examine the ultra-fine print.
Reply/Quote
I would have no problem with Cowher being our next head coach. I have a feeling Cowher would though. He's going to want control and to pick his entire coaching staff. I understand that there are no coaches under contract after this season, but I don't see Cowher as someone who is going to be okay with Mike Brown telling him Alexander the Great is coming back. I also don't think Cowher would like going to our illustrious GM and saying he wants a free agent that could help and getting laughed out of the GM's office. The Bengals would be great for a young head coach just looking for experience to go somewhere else. Working with the Brown family is not something a good head coach is going to want to deal with.

The best bet for this team would be someone from the college ranks so that the Brown family can push them around and have the control to continue the Brown way. Any established head coach is going to want things the Brown family is not going to concede.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 12:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: One thing about Cowher is that he played to his players' strengths. Remember Kordell Stewart and how he was used? Or how in Ben's rookie season, he made sure to lean extremely heavily on the run game?

I get that he probably doesn't want to leave his TV gig nor come to work for Mike Brown and I can understand the reasons why some don't want him anywhere near us, but I think he's the perfect antithesis to Merv and would easily get us over the hump.

Yeah I think Marvin has never learned to play to each player's strengths, instead wants to play his game his way and tries to find players that fit that. Also doesn't adjust gameplan really for opponents in my mind, why it's so easy for teams to seemingly dominate us, we only have one hand to show. Whereas the Bellicheat adjusts, one game we might see Brady only throw 15 times.

The ball has got to get in John Ross' hands more than 1 target, what's his purpose. Hill doesn't like running outside (statistically), Mixon is used to shotgun and swing passes. Do what they are good at.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote