Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Next HC: Bill Cowher?
Which could be why our drafts generally get rated an A or B...they use the scouting reports of the guys grading to draft! But those guys aren't at dozens of college games either.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:48 PM)Benton Wrote: I had an hour drive this morning and spent 53 minutes of it thinking about where the heck the Bengals should look for their next coach. Not will, but should

And that answer is: college.

But... the list of coaches who jump from college to the pros with any real success is short. Yeah, I agree. You can toss out names like Kiffin and Spurrier and Petrino. Plenty of reason why this approach is going to majorly fail. 

On the other hand, we know the Bengals aren't going to spend a ton of money expanding their scouting department. They aren't going to do more interviewing or watch more tape. They might tack on a couple interns or add on a rare position over the next decade, but unless we have another skid like the 90s, we're going to roll with the same structure. So, no new positions.

Which means whoever becomes HC is going to have to know how to scout himself, and be well read on college players and programs. It's not enough to say "That's a SEC kid, he's worth a look." He's going to have to be able to say "we need receivers, WRU has an outstanding position coach that's been building up late round picks who are producing tons of yards; start looking at their tape." 

It's not likely to happen, and coaches like that historically haven't transitioned well. But there's got to be somebody at that level that would translate well to the NFL, and give us an ability to draft better.

These are pretty much my thoughts on the matter verbatim.....although worded with much more depth and eloquence than my feeble mind can muster these days.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I kind of like the idea of a college coach.

What do teams look for in NFL guys? Top assistants from winning teams.

Well those guys come from a team with a Great QB usually, good roster, great personnel department thus not having to scout, established procedures on workouts, etc.

Here they wouldn't have most of those things and would have to build from the ground up.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah, I kind of like the idea of a college coach.

Me, too. Hopefully, one with a history of being a discplinarian, but in a way that players respect.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
What the hell difference does it make who is brought in as HC? Page after page of fantasy nonsense. First of all, Marvin could easily be back for another year, and a few more after that if he decides to keep on cashing the checks. Secondly, given the reputation Mike Brown has, no respectable coach would surrender control to be his lackey, so we'd end up with some no-name desperate for work and eager to cash a check. Terrific. Lastly, even if we somehow do get lucky from a talent standpoint, it's still Mike Brown at the helm, so anyone brought in has to succeed despite that 85 year old anchor around his neck.

We're ****** for the foreseeable future and we might as well just accept it.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: LaFleur is intriguing, and good point on Merv being a coordinator.  Right now, I'd settle for Mr. Coach Klein, as long as he gets to bring Red Beaulieu to coach the oline.  That Meaney guy was a BEAST! LMAO

[Image: doiz84.gif]

Did he get his playbook back? If not, that guy is a bum.

(10-25-2017, 03:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Which probably means PA becomes our next head coach. Whatever

Stop. Just in case Mike Brown is reading this via dial up connection, I'd hate to give him ideas.

(10-25-2017, 07:42 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: What the hell difference does it make who is brought in as HC?  Page after page of fantasy nonsense.  First of all, Marvin could easily be back for another year, and a few more after that if he decides to keep on cashing the checks.  Secondly, given the reputation Mike Brown has, no respectable coach would surrender control to be his lackey, so we'd end up with some no-name desperate for work and eager to cash a check.  Terrific.  Lastly, even if we somehow do get lucky from a talent standpoint, it's still Mike Brown at the helm, so anyone brought in has to succeed despite that 85 year old anchor around his neck.  

We're ***** for the foreseeable future and we might as well just accept it.

Deep down, I know this is true.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 07:42 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: What the hell difference does it make who is brought in as HC? Page after page of fantasy nonsense. First of all, Marvin could easily be back for another year, and a few more after that if he decides to keep on cashing the checks. Secondly, given the reputation Mike Brown has, no respectable coach would surrender control to be his lackey, so we'd end up with some no-name desperate for work and eager to cash a check. Terrific. Lastly, even if we somehow do get lucky from a talent standpoint, it's still Mike Brown at the helm, so anyone brought in has to succeed despite that 85 year old anchor around his neck.

We're ***** for the foreseeable future and we might as well just accept it.

Sigh. This^^^

Apathy is a *****.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I want Josh McDaniels
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:51 PM)thillan Wrote: I'm struggling with who should follow Lewis, because I want it to be from the outside (unless it's Simmons).

I really wanted Vance Joseph, and I feel like we have lost our best opportunities (Jay Gruden and Zimmer).

Who would be a great, REALISTIC choice outside of the organization?

You mispelled Jon Gruden, and Simmons gets my vote as well.
Reply/Quote
What has Simmons done to qualify him for being a head coach? He's been here a long time.

All of these coaches that have been here 10 or 15+ years...aren't going to make changes. They're indoctrinated into the Bengals culture.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 02:16 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: ......when the drafting was atrocious.  You can't have both with Mikey Boy in charge.....

Indeed.

It spilled a bit into the 2000s, but it didn't last.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
:giggle:
My vote goes to JON GRUDEN, but what about Chris Collinsworth?
Reply/Quote
Lol why not just throw in john gruden as well. I have a better shot and being the bengals next head coach. Cower would never leave the television gig to coach an enemy that he destroyed all the time. I would love to have him but I don't see him pulling a Benedict Arnold.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:52 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Lol why not just throw in john gruden as well. I have a better shot and being the bengals next head coach. Cower would never leave the television gig to coach an enemy that he destroyed all the time. I would love to have him but I don't see him pulling a Benedict Arnold.

Yeah Gruden and Cowher would NEVER come here. NEVER.

May as well throw in Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, and any other great coach.

1st day on the job when Mike Brown tells Parcells that we're going to allow our best free agent to leave...but it's ok because we'll get a comp pick...that would be priceless.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah Gruden and Cowher would NEVER come here. NEVER.

May as well throw in Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, and any other great coach.

1st day on the job when Mike Brown tells Parcells that we're going to allow our best free agent to leave...but it's ok because we'll get a comp pick...that would be priceless.

This is wisdom.

Mike Brown will never hire a quality coach like a Forrest Gregg and he will never give any new head coach the authority and tools needed to compete with teams like New England, Pittsburgh and Denver.

Not happening.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 03:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This thread has actually made me kinda excited for the offseason. Let's hope Merv is fired and Brown looks at the guys we're all talking about.

Which probably means PA becomes our next head coach. Whatever
Well, the upside to this would be that someone else would be coaching the OLine.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 01:52 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Lol why not just throw in john gruden as well. I have a better shot and being the bengals next head coach. Cower would never leave the television gig to coach an enemy that he destroyed all the time. I would love to have him but I don't see him pulling a Benedict Arnold.

Yeah, but they don't look at teams and loyalty the way fans do.  They see the game for the business it is, an opportunity to do what they love, not some emotional attachment like we have.  That's why, even after they nearly took off his head, Ken Anderson went to coach for the Steelers. He had a service to offer, and the Steelers were buying.  It's just business.  So, I agree that he won't leave his cushy, high-paying job to come here, but not because we're the "enemy."  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 09:00 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, but they don't look at teams and loyalty the way fans do.  They see the game for the business it is, an opportunity to do what they love, not some emotional attachment like we have.  That's why, even after they nearly took off his head, Ken Anderson went to coach for the Steelers. He had a service to offer, and the Steelers were buying.  It's just business.  So, I agree that he won't leave his cushy, high-paying job to come here, but not because we're the "enemy."  

Yeah...it's because we may be the most poorly managed team in all of sports that a HOF coach won't come here.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 1st day on the job when Mike Brown tells Parcells that we're going to allow our best free agent to leave...but it's ok because we'll get a comp pick...that would be priceless.

It would, but there's always the possibility, no matter how remote, that Brown would actually listen when someone like Parcells tells him that doing things like that are monumentally stupid and should never be done.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Ive always felt since he left the Steelers he's wanted to coach here nothing I can substantiate. Just the way he usually hypes up our players and is generally overly critical of Lewis the couple of times that are coaching situation with Lewis was in limbo he was floating his name out there to potentially want to return to coaching just to say shortly after we settle our situation with Marvin he says he's had a change of heart. He always talks up Mike Brown on CBS whenever he has opportunity.
Reply/Quote