Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals Packers Preseason Game One Observations
(08-12-2023, 05:07 PM)TheFan Wrote: So you're happy that he played poorly so you can say you were right vs him play really well and possibly fight for a starting job. Sounds like Frank. 

Pretty sad isn't it? Yawn

(08-12-2023, 05:19 PM)TheFan Wrote: I certainly agree. No Bengals fan should be rooting or hoping that he doesn't play well. It's in everyone's best interest that he shows he can at least be a decent back up, even if he's not a top starting lineman. 

Damn rights. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Impressed with
Tycen Anderson
Dax Hill
Jordan Battle
Dominique Davis
Jay Tufele
Dissapointed in
Qbs
Oline
Charlie Jones- especially on PR duty
LB core
Overall
Lack of energy from the Team last night I expect a better performance next week.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Upon further review the Peko twins were a force inside.

53 is someone to watch the next couple games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Only a couple games left and we are the only team to allow 30+.

Also 2nd largest point differential at 17.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:05 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Only a couple games left and we are the only team to allow 30+.

We are also one of the only teams that played no starters from last year and in the 2nd half played mostly 3rd/4th stringers. 95% of the ppl that got snaps in the 4th won’t make the team.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 04:18 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I was hooked on the game at the third offensive play of the Bengals.
I saw a play by Carman Id never seen a pro make.
He got into his stance, then at the snap he stood up and made no attempt to block anyone has two guys sauntered past him.
Then the most astonishing act, standing there he turned his head around to see what happened.

Carman the pee wee football player.
Probably already been mentioned but it was an early snap miscue. Tobin mentioned it when he was on. Still should've reacted in some way. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:13 PM)Housh Wrote: We are also one of the only teams that played no starters from last year and in the 2nd half played mostly 3rd/4th stringers. 95% of the ppl that got snaps in the 4th won’t make the team.

I know this isn't the point you were trying to make. But I had a thought reading your post. I like Taylors off-season approach of not working guys too hard and putting unnecessary stress on there bodies. So I'm fine with the no starters playing. But we've let Burrow get pummeled the 1st game of the year the last 3 years. So maybe we need to get the starting line out there for at least a couple series. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:47 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I know this isn't the point you were trying to make. But I had a thought reading your post. I like Taylors off-season approach of not working guys too hard and putting unnecessary stress on there bodies. So I'm fine with the no starters playing. But we've let Burrow get pummeled the 1st game of the year the last 3 years. So maybe we need to get the starting line out there for at least a couple series. 

It's a tradeoff. Less chance for injury versus the team being rusty and out of sync the first couple of games. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:47 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I know this isn't the point you were trying to make. But I had a thought reading your post. I like Taylors off-season approach of not working guys too hard and putting unnecessary stress on there bodies. So I'm fine with the no starters playing. But we've let Burrow get pummeled the 1st game of the year the last 3 years. So maybe we need to get the starting line out there for at least a couple series. 

Seems sensible but with Burrow not likely to play in preseason, I bet the Oline starters don’t. Our backups need the reps.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's a tradeoff. Less chance for injury versus the team being rusty and out of sync the first couple of games. 

And if rusty out of sync = Burrow getting sacked 7 times and hit multiple times? I'll just be curious if the Bengals take this into account.
Reply/Quote
Watched the game last night.

I was extremely concerned about the safety position going into the season, but between Hill, Anderson, and Battle I believe we will be in great shape (and we haven't even seen the other starter yet).

And I think our draft class looked exceptional overall. Murphy was the least impressive of the bunch to me, but it looked like he had very limited snaps so it's tough to say anything definitively.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's a tradeoff. Less chance for injury versus the team being rusty and out of sync the first couple of games. 

Exactly. I’ve always looked at it this way: you can overcome rust from your starters not being on the field for the preseason in pretty short order.

What you cannot overcome is a torn ACL or broken arm that keeps a player out for half or a whole season that they suffered in a game that counts for absolutely nothing.

I will take a little rust over a major injury to a key player any day of the week.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:13 PM)Housh Wrote: We are also one of the only teams that played no starters from last year and in the 2nd half played mostly 3rd/4th stringers. 95% of the ppl that got snaps in the 4th won’t make the team.

Very good point. I just never have personally put much stock on any sort of statistics or numbers from any preseason games. They are usually wildly misleading or from an extremely small sample size.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Ok, I went back and watched the first half again yesterday evening. And a few points: Jackson Carman stinks! Like the 3rd play of our first offensive series he stayed in a 3 point stance like 2 seconds after ball was snapped while two defenders went right by unblocked. It was like a scene out of the bad news bears or something? "which way did he go"?

Iosivas had a couple nice catches and probably should have had a 3rd but it's hard to catch the ball when you're already being tackled 2 seconds before the ball gets there. No PI of course. It's early I know but I bet he makes the 53.

Tufele had several really nice plays shoving the pile even when being double teamed. And some of those plays were early and G.B. was playing a lot of their starters in 1st qtr.

The PI in the end zone giving them TD was a very ticky tack call. And then few plays later Iosivas was raped - crickets. But it's preseason so whatever?

20 Turner and 27 Battle both had some nice tackles and plays. And got burnt some as well.

I'm going to watch 2nd half today and see what's up?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:05 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Only a couple games left and we are the only team to allow 30+.

We allowed the same amount of points last 1st preseason game and we ended the year seconds short of another superbowl appearance. I wouldn’t worry too much about it in the grand scheme of things. It’s annoying sure, but reflecting it means very little.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 11:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ok, I went back and watched the first half again yesterday evening. And a few points: Jackson Carman stinks! Like the 3rd play of our first offensive series he stayed in a 3 point stance like 2 seconds after ball was snapped while two defenders went right by unblocked. It was like a scene out of the bad news bears or something? "which way did he go"?

Iosivas had a couple nice catches and probably should have had a 3rd but it's hard to catch the ball when you're already being tackled 2 seconds before the ball gets there. No PI of course. It's early I know but I bet he makes the 53.

Tufele had several really nice plays shoving the pile even when being double teamed. And some of those plays were early and G.B. was playing a lot of their starters in 1st qtr.

The PI in the end zone giving them TD was a very ticky tack call. And then few plays later Iosivas was raped - crickets. But it's preseason so whatever?

20 Turner and 27 Battle both had some nice tackles and plays. And got burnt some as well.

I'm going to watch 2nd half today and see what's up?

That play in the first quarter was a complete communications mess-up between Browning and Trey Hill. Carman wasn't alone in not reacting - three other linemen likewise were nonplussed. Looked like Hill snapped before the correct spot in the snap count. 

I agree on the PI that gifted GB a TD - that was REALLY ticky tack. But then again the refs were bad all night. And yes Iosivas was in. Defensively aside from the bad ref calls we also were incredibly vanilla on both sides - and Lou's defense is built on being the opposite of vanilla. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 01:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: That play in the first quarter was a complete communications mess-up between Browning and Trey Hill. Carman wasn't alone in not reacting - three other linemen likewise were nonplussed. Looked like Hill snapped before the correct spot in the snap count. 

I agree on the PI that gifted GB a TD - that was REALLY ticky tack. But then again the refs were bad all night. And yes Iosivas was in. Defensively aside from the bad ref calls we also were incredibly vanilla on both sides - and Lou's defense is built on being the opposite of vanilla. 

Cool, haven't had the heart to go back and watch that. Was ugly.

Need to clean our communication up big time. The coaches have a lot of work to do with the backup OL and backup QB's.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 01:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: That play in the first quarter was a complete communications mess-up between Browning and Trey Hill. Carman wasn't alone in not reacting - three other linemen likewise were nonplussed. Looked like Hill snapped before the correct spot in the snap count. 

I don't doubt that one bit. But you don't just stay in your 3 point stance and turn your head and say hey QB you're about to get killed and I don't care I'm sticking with the correct snap count.

You move when the dline is coming thru your line. 
Reply/Quote