Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals cutting Iloka
(08-19-2018, 04:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think a few of you are missing it, not behind the scenes, change in approach, last two drafts show a shift to speed and replacing players that lack it in areas they feel comfortable with.

This is what i think, also i think my Brandon Wilson pick to be our breakout player might be closer than some thought.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:05 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: So what happens if one of their safeties are injured in next 2 weeks? No reason to do this at this juncture of preseason. There is something more to this story that will probably come out over the next few days. Personally, I'd rather seen Shawn Williams cut if they had to get rid of a safety (but MJ should've been the guy gone if it solely for salary cap purposes).

MJ could be next but dline is different than safety, deline wear down especially rookies etc, I can see them cutting brown and Baker keeping MJ as a hybrid
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:07 PM)jorev5 Wrote: Agree, we need a RT much more than a veteran safety

I do not disagree, but a vet OT that is good to great is hard to find 2 weeks into preseason
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:57 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He's the defacto GM that's exactly his job

I guarantee cutting players is 100% Marvin and Mike.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I do not disagree, but a vet OT that is good to great is hard to find 2 weeks into preseason

Although, compared to what we're seeing? Might be an immediate improvement. If it happened that is. But doubt it does.

Reply/Quote
When I first read the OP, was in shock. Then, after reading all 63 posts, letting my emotions cool, and allowing logic to take over, I think that I'm alright with this move.

I loved George as the big hitter he was, coming out of Boise St., however his coverage skills never quite grew to match his ability to lay the wood. In recent times, we've seen him pretty much forego playing the ball, in favor of "picking a shot", which has made him into a penalty machine in today's NFL.

I'm completely comfortable with Shaw, Bates, and Wilson filling out the Safety position with Williams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Although, compared to what we're seeing? Might be an immediate improvement. If it happened that is. But doubt it does.

We need to find a team that's as deep in Olinemen as we are at safety and who could use some DLine help. We are deep at Dline. Okoye looked worth keeping an eye on, at least. I don't what we'd have to do to trade for one. I'd give up a third or second round pick for a good RT. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Iloka was great at laying the wood.....after the catch was made.
he was really good at not allowing big plays over his head. but he wasnt good at creating turnovers.he did carry a hefty pricetag.
he wont be without a team for long.
i can see him playing for the Steelers Raiders Colts Cards.
class act all the way around
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: MJ could be next but dline is different than safety, deline wear down especially rookies etc, I can see them cutting brown and Baker keeping MJ as a hybrid

I would love for us to get MJ to take a 2 or 2.5 million a year pay cut versus cutting him. I think he still is a very good run stopper and can play some tackle as well.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm still furious that we didn't re-sign Reggie Nelson. Part of the reasoning was that we could keep Iloka instead. Even if Reggie has fallen off now, we still would've gotten more INTs, Fumbles, Fumbles Recovered, and Tackles out of him over the last two years.

Heck, maybe we could've kept them both -- Iloka played best next to Reggie.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think a few of you are missing it, not behind the scenes, change in approach, last two drafts show a shift to speed and replacing players that lack it in areas they feel comfortable with.

We did not miss it. Every few years the team "changes approach" but in the interim periods never develop a Good enough team to make a run at a superbowl. 

If this was monetary why keep MJ or Dre who are both overpaid. If this is a "change of direction" thing why have they not done the same thing on the OL? 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would love for us to get MJ to take a 2 or 2.5 million a year pay cut versus cutting him. I think he still is a very good run stopper and can play some tackle as well.

MJ is trash. Watch the game on concentrate on him. And please tell me what was positive with the way he plays. He gets blocked easily at the point of attack. He has zero pass rush moves he plays to damn tall. I have no idea why he hasn’t been cut yet. He looks so damn stiff. Hubbard , Willis n Lawson look like studs and should be starting. You put me next to Geno , Lawson n Dunlap and I’ll guarantee you I’ll have 4 sacks a year
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:26 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Iloka was great at laying the wood.....after the catch was made.
he was really good at not allowing big plays over his head. but he wasnt good at creating turnovers.he did carry a hefty pricetag.
he wont be without a team for long.
i can see him playing for the Steelers Raiders Colts Cards.
class act all the way around

But often it did dislodge the ball.

Williams, meanwhile, tries to do the same thing but regularly seems to just injure himself and/or a teammate while the receiver hangs on to it.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: MJ is trash.   Watch the game on concentrate on him. And please tell me what was positive with the way he plays.   He gets blocked easily at the point of attack.   He has zero pass rush moves he plays to damn tall.  I have no idea why he hasn’t been cut yet.  He looks so damn stiff.  Hubbard , Willis n Lawson look like studs and should be starting.   You put me next to Geno , Lawson n Dunlap and I’ll guarantee you I’ll have 4 sacks a year

He may not be a good DL any longer, but trash is an unacceptable term to use on a man that has a ton of class and served this community extremely well.

Reply/Quote
Great move. Glad they did it early to give him a chance to catch on with another team. They gotta get dunlap and geno signed so he had to go and michael johnson is probably next. Cutting the dead weight and freeing up a lot of space. If eifert has a healthy year well need money to resign him dunlap and geno. 3 difference makers by cutting 2 average role players. Ill take that trade off every day of the week.
Reply/Quote
Yet Ogbuehi and Eifert remain. Whatever

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:44 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: We did not miss it. Every few years the team "changes approach" but in the interim periods never develop a Good enough team to make a run at a superbowl. 

If this was monetary why keep MJ or Dre who are both overpaid. If this is a "change of direction" thing why have they not done the same thing on the OL? 
Yes some are missing it from my point, this behind the scene idea I dont see and this approach is different please tell me the last time we cut 2 vets with some cap hit and what two drafts match the speed of the last two so this approach seems unique for the bengals unless you can show me some recent history that matches it.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would love for us to get MJ to take a 2 or 2.5 million a year pay cut versus cutting him. I think he still is a very good run stopper and can play some tackle as well.

If they cut MJ, they're only out the 1.25M of his prorated signing bonus, with a cap savings of about 5M.  Personally, I don't think they should insult the guy by asking him to work for half price.  If they cut him now, he has a chance to get whatever his market value is, from another team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yes some are missing it from my point, this behind the scene idea I dont see and this approach is different please tell me the last time we cut 2 vets with some cap hit and what two drafts match the speed of the last two so this approach seems unique for the bengals unless you can show me some recent history that matches it.

It is definately different. Traded for a LT, drafted a Center in the first. When is the last time we did this?

50 years ago or somethin'?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:50 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Great move.  Glad they did it early to give him a chance to catch on with another team.  They gotta get dunlap and geno signed so he had to go and michael johnson is probably next.  Cutting the dead weight and freeing up a lot of space.  If eifert has a healthy year well need money to resign him dunlap and geno.  3 difference makers by cutting 2 average role players.  Ill take that trade off every day of the week.

If they were cutting the dead weight they would not have brought back ML and Mikey would be put out to pasture.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote