Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Bengals offense continues to struggle / Reiff hurt
(08-05-2021, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You were the first one to note this, so I will add that it was also only Jonah Williams of the so-called "projected starters" on the line that got dominated yesterday.  Mike Jordan was at LG, Price was at C, Carman at RG, and (as you mentioned) Smith was at RT.  

Sorry for all the chicken little's taking "should have taken Sewell" victory laps, but if our defense couldn't take advantage of that line, I would be pissed.  

No question that OL should of struggled against our DL. Same, I would of been pissed if they held their own against our 
starting Ends and DT's besides Ogunjobi who should be back soon. Jonah and Carman had it tough with those guys next 
to them, especially Carman. Price on one side and a mid round rookie on the other going against Reader and Hubbard?

No chance.

(08-05-2021, 09:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is great.  Yesterday I literally had to google to see who our CBs were week 1.  I knew we lost Waynes before we even really got him, and had WJIII on one side.  The other side was Darius Phillips.  The backups were the pathetic Leshawn Sims and Tony Brown.  I actually liked Mackenzie Alexander, our slot CB.

Overall, this has to be the most improved position group, where one of the backups is a former first rounder in Eli Apple, and a Darius Phillips looking to get a contract next year.  

Waynes was looking really good in camp before this (hopefully) minor injury.  

I loved WJIII when he was drafted, but he ended up being a lot like Dre Kirkpatrick:  very inconsistent.  

I would say the entire Secondary is the most improved position group, the Safeties as well as Bates is coming into his own
and Bell has a year in the system and we added a very underrated Safety in Ricardo Allen to the group who is a ballhawk 
cover Safety who can also play Corner.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 09:39 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Personally, for a team like the Bengals, I think winning in the pre-season is a big deal. 

This organization is 25-53-1 over the last 5 years.  

Those Patriot teams knew how to win. So 0-4 in the pre-season most of the players know the real games don't start until game 1 of the regular season.  

However, you have so many new pieces and parts on this team and 1st and 2nd year players that I think winning in the pre-season matters more to a team like this.  JMO 

Believe we went 0-4 in the preseason in 2015 and looked like dog shit before going 8-0 too.

I agree though, just stating facts. Would be nice to gain some confidence in the Preseason that is for sure.

Just not worried at all at this point. That OL that got abused had Jonah and Carman, the rest of the guys aren't starters.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Believe we went 0-4 in the preseason in 2015 and looked like dog shit before going 8-0 too.

I agree though, just stating facts. Would be nice to gain some confidence in the Preseason that is for sure.

Just not worried at all at this point. That OL that got abused had Jonah and Carman, the rest of the guys aren't starters.

Stop.

The bengals starters looked great in the 2015 preseason

That’s all that matters. I do not care about 3rd stringers vs 3rd stringers
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:20 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Stop.

The bengals starters looked great in the 2015 preseason

That’s all that matters. I do not care about 3rd stringers vs 3rd stringers

Did they? I don't remember honestly. I won't stop though and you can't make me lol

Depth is something you ought to care about. This our biggest problem behind the OL, our depth blows.

We have Jordan, Price, FJ, Sutherland and Prince. That is sad.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Believe we went 0-4 in the preseason in 2015 and looked like dog shit before going 8-0 too.

no nate you're totally correct we the Bengals went 0-4 in the preseason in 2015 on their way to 8-0. 

However, you had a QB who had 5 years of experience with 3 stud WR and a stud TE, with a pretty good running game and OL.  

Defense under Zimmer was proven and had leaders and veterans who'd been in Zimmers defense for awhile. 

Then look at this team.  Burrow coming back off a devastating blown out knee.  An OL that has 0 depth and even the starters on this teams OL are no where near as good as the 2015 OL.  The 2015 defense was a damn good defense in the front 7 as well.  

So I'd say the comparisons between that 2015 team and this 2021 team are slim.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:33 PM)TJ528 Wrote: no nate you're totally correct we the Bengals went 0-4 in the preseason in 2015 on their way to 8-0. 

However, you had a QB who had 5 years of experience with 3 stud WR and a stud TE, with a pretty good running game and OL.  

Defense under Zimmer was proven and had leaders and veterans who'd been in Zimmers defense for awhile. 

Then look at this team.  Burrow coming back off a devastating blown out knee.  An OL that has 0 depth and even the starters on this teams OL are no where near as good as the 2015 OL.  The 2015 defense was a damn good defense in the front 7 as well.  

So I'd say the comparisons between that 2015 team and this 2021 team are slim.  

Yeah, I do like our starting WR's maybe better but we definitely don't have a 2015 Eifert on this team and as you say no depth.

I do think we will be much better this season than last year if our starters can stay healthy especially in the trenches but I agree 
that 2015 team was tough in all 3 phases. We had a shot that year with that Defense and ST's unit along with THAT O-line.

Zim was a fantastic DC, would love to have him back here if Taylor and Lou keep sucking it up.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Did they? I don't remember honestly. I won't stop though and you can't make me lol

Depth is something you ought to care about. This our biggest problem behind the OL, our depth blows.

“Did they?”

Yes they did. I remember watching all of those 2015 preseason games. Especially the Giants won because I watched it at a bar with my giants friends. It was also the 3rd game, aka the dress rehearsal.

Bengals moved the ball at will over the Giants. Eifert and Dalton looked spectacular
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: “Did they?”

Yes they did. I remember watching all of those 2015 preseason games. Especially the Giants won because I watched it at a bar with my giants friends. It was also the 3rd game, aka the dress rehearsal.

Bengals moved the ball at will over the Giants. Eifert and Dalton looked spectacular

The Giants game was the preseason opener that year, but they did move the ball well in the 1st half. They struggled the following week, looking pretty bad...then rebounded and looked a lot better against the Bears in week 3.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I do like our starting WR's maybe better but we definitely don't have a 2015 Eifert on this team and as you say no depth.

I do think we will be much better this season than last year if our starters can stay healthy especially in the trenches but I agree 
that 2015 team was tough in all 3 phases. We had a shot that year with that Defense and ST's unit along with THAT O-line.

Zim was a fantastic DC, would love to have him back here if Taylor and Lou keep sucking it up.

Nate i hate to say I liked the WR on the 2015 team better.  AJ Green was a proven Pro-Bowler at WR, we have a #1 draft pick, Then you had Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu at WR.  Then the X factore Eiffort at TE, and even Gio and Jeremy Hill that both caught balls out of the back field. 

That team had so much talent that if Andy doesn't go down we make the AFC Championship game or Super Bowl.  

That team had played together awhile.  Had  good depth.  

This team has depth in specific areas.  The area's that matter we don't have depth.  DL, OL, 

The 2 areas where you supposedly build your team.  Its like baseball they always say to start your team up the middle, pitching, catching, 2nd and SS and then CF.  Football, your season always depends on how you do in the trenches.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: NO DOUBT! They are in their grills man. 

Passing league, if guys like Boyd, Tee and Chase don't like it WR's will have a tough time this year.

Chase is one of the most physical WR's I have ever seen at the point of attack. He usually abuses DB's.

He needs to get used to it again, our DB's are used to it.

Hopefully this translates well for our WRs during games AND our DBs are really this good.    Would be awesome for our WRs to be very capable and well practiced due to constantly practicing against this tight of coverage.  
Reply/Quote
This WR group has sky high potential and once they develop cohesion and also once Chase gets back into game speed this group can be awesome.

The OL also has a lot of new parts (Carman, Reiff, three new OL in depth) and the same process of learning pro game speed and cohesion has to occur. It was great to see us FINALLY draft heavy on the lines but now we need all those PROSPECTS to settle in and learn the pro game (in speed terms) to fully get the benefits.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:14 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Nate i hate to say I liked the WR on the 2015 team better.  AJ Green was a proven Pro-Bowler at WR, we have a #1 draft pick, Then you had Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu at WR.  Then the X factore Eiffort at TE, and even Gio and Jeremy Hill that both caught balls out of the back field. 

That team had so much talent that if Andy doesn't go down we make the AFC Championship game or Super Bowl.  

That team had played together awhile.  Had  good depth.  

This team has depth in specific areas.  The area's that matter we don't have depth.  DL, OL, 

The 2 areas where you supposedly build your team.  Its like baseball they always say to start your team up the middle, pitching, catching, 2nd and SS and then CF.  Football, your season always depends on how you do in the trenches.  

Completely understand, hard to disagree with anything you say here. Potential wise I think this team could be good but the coaching
has been terrible so that really undercuts this team big time. I think Tee could be as good as AJ, or close to it, I think Chase could be
better than Marvin Jones easily and I think Boyd is WAY better than Mo was, just my opinion. And Taylor the backup Slot/Returner
has been impressing in camp and there is Auden Tate. Might not be as bad off with WR depth as I first thought.

But OL depth is most definitely the biggest weakness on this team right now and that is scary. Need to add another guy and hope 
Pollack can coach up the depth. That's all I got.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:27 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: Hopefully this translates well for our WRs during games AND our DBs are really this good.    Would be awesome for our WRs to be very capable and well practiced due to constantly practicing against this tight of coverage.  

Great competition breeds greatness. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: “Did they?”

(08-05-2021, 01:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Giants game was the preseason opener that year, but they did move the ball well in the 1st half. They struggled the following week, looking pretty bad...then rebounded and looked a lot better against the Bears in week 3.

Someone of you has selective memory and it's Frank.  The Giants was the first game and the Bengals didn't go 0-4, they went 3-1 in the preseason.

I cheated, I looked it up.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 05:08 PM)Stewy Wrote: Someone of you has selective memory and it's Frank.  The Giants was the first game and the Bengals didn't go 0-4, they went 3-1 in the preseason.

I cheated, I looked it up.  Tongue

so we didnt even go 0-4 either?

C'mon Nate. Now you're lying just to fit your narrative
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 05:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: so we didnt even go 0-4 either?

C'mon Nate. Now you're lying just to fit your narrative

That's Stewy Frank lol
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Did they? I don't remember honestly. I won't stop though and you can't make me lol

Yeah.. you cant make him!!!

[Image: R.86e645e51475fd9ccb57e6b52a08521f?rik=C...ImgRaw&r=0]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 07:51 PM)The Clapp Wrote: Yeah.. you cant make him!!!

[Image: R.86e645e51475fd9ccb57e6b52a08521f?rik=C...ImgRaw&r=0]

DAMN RIGHTS!!!Mad
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 07:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm confused now. Does Burrow grab.... his own... facemask? And yell at himself to get better or get off the field?   Ninja

Jokes aside, I never understood why we can't talk about the offense not being very good last year, or Burrow potentially being a bit hesitant in his first semi-action after a big knee surgery without it being construed as some kind of attack on him. Dude was a rookie last year, rookies often don't run great offenses. Dude is also a human being, human beings often take a little bit to regain their confidence in the full functionality of surgically repaired/reconstructed body parts. Doesn't mean I don't think he doesn't have a ton of potential.

You're being too negative bro. Chill. Everything will be fine...and if it doesn't turn out fine, you'd better shut up then, too. Ya dang hater. Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well I think we know why the Bengals offense was struggling so much in early preseason practices. It’s because they were lining up against a top 5 unit in the NFL. Who Dey!!!
Reply/Quote