Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Bengals offense continues to struggle / Reiff hurt
(08-04-2021, 05:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure he will be fine eventually, but we did lay it on a little thick that he would never show any hesitancy post injury and that he's immune to any of the psychological pitfalls of the position. 

The guy is a human being and if he is being hesitant and frustrated and needs a mental health day it's possibly the splash of cold water we needed before the season starts.

Again, nothing matters until week 1 but if he's sitting out of the preseason he's going to need to start notching some encouraging training camp days.  

I just wish I had more faith in ZT's ability to help Burrow and put him in the best situation.  

Yes, I'm really starting to lose confidence in Zack fast now.  Burrow doesn't wanna give any reps up or sit out. This is a dumb move by Zack. I could see if the offense wasn't struggling .. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 07:03 PM)Tony Wrote: Yes, I'm really starting to lose confidence in Zack fast now.  Burrow doesn't wanna give any reps up or sit out. This is a dumb move by Zack. I could see if the offense wasn't struggling .. 

Huh? They are protecting Burrow as he comes back from injury. Every other player on the offense can practice regardless of who is QB. They all have work to do.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 05:04 PM)Joelist Wrote: Let's remember that we went VERY "line heavy" in this draft (FINALLY!)...

With 10 picks we took three OL and 4 DL to go with WR, K and RB. So on the good side we restocked the cupboards for both lines. On the other side draft picks are rookies so we need time for all the new kids to develop. But to be honest we NEEDED to do this type of draft for years - and I would not be opposed to us doing it again as in concentrating on one or two position groups and just totally reloading them.

Yes, the did spend 3 picks on OL.  However, two of those picks are futures/development type of picks.  They needed to get the work done in FA, so that the line would not only be prepared to protect Joe Burrow, but also have enough ass to bring a ground game back into the equation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 05:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We had a whole thread where we overwhelmingly agreed Burrow wasnt the type of guy to get shaky or have any confidence issues post injury.  I wouldn't say we expected this. But it's best to work this stuff out as early as possible. 

I'm confused now. Does Burrow grab.... his own... facemask? And yell at himself to get better or get off the field?   Ninja

Jokes aside, I never understood why we can't talk about the offense not being very good last year, or Burrow potentially being a bit hesitant in his first semi-action after a big knee surgery without it being construed as some kind of attack on him. Dude was a rookie last year, rookies often don't run great offenses. Dude is also a human being, human beings often take a little bit to regain their confidence in the full functionality of surgically repaired/reconstructed body parts. Doesn't mean I don't think he doesn't have a ton of potential.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 03:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Wheelburrow.

[Image: kqbHC_large.gif?v=1510244614]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:53 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Lol Carman!! I keep forgetting that. I should just call him Jackson LOL

Especially if you're nasty.

[Image: b3241f30-fb46-0132-f418-0e18518aac2f.gif?w=320]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2021, 10:51 PM)kevin Wrote: We will see soon enough when Bengals play Super Bowl Tampa and Washington and Miami in Preseason.  I'm old enough to remember the 1972 Dolphins looked different in preseason with great blocking for a change. The Lombardi Packers could Block in preseason.  Munoz could Block in preseason.  In preseason, either the Bengals can Block or they can't.  If they can't Block in preseason, they won't Block in regular season. It actually is that simple.  Some of you might remember Bengals awful Blocking in 2009 preseason when Saints broke Palmers nose. In regular season Palmer got knocked out for the season, and Fitzgerald had to run for his life as soon as the ball was snapped, so we never got to see that Fitzgerald can throw the ball. Preseason will show if Bengals have Blocking in 2021 or Not.

Everything about this post makes me want to kick a cat.. 

In preseason, either the Bengals can Block or they can't.  - wow really.... thats some deep sh!t there.. and its not that simple.. most of the time starters are not playing.... lines are trying different schemes... defenses play vanilla...

i've seen teams go 0-4 in preseason but win 13 games... playing in preseason is not like playing in the regular season......
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:12 PM)The Clapp Wrote: Everything about this post makes me want to kick a cat.. 

[Image: R.86e645e51475fd9ccb57e6b52a08521f?rik=C...ImgRaw&r=0]

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: R.86e645e51475fd9ccb57e6b52a08521f?rik=C...ImgRaw&r=0]

You’re a monster!

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 04:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "I think he's a little iffy on his knee, but it's hard to tell. I think he's ready to go, but he doesn't want to do too much." 
- Tyler Boyd

"Zac Taylor said Joe Burrow wants the reps during training camp. However: "He's not the head coach so he doesn't get to make that decision." - Ben Baby

Dude is clearly not 100% physically and things are getting into Joe's head. I didn't expect this honestly unless he wasn't ready.

Its all good, get this over now. This is the time.

(08-04-2021, 05:04 PM)Joelist Wrote: Let's remember that we went VERY "line heavy" in this draft (FINALLY!)...

With 10 picks we took three OL and 4 DL to go with WR, K and RB. So on the good side we restocked the cupboards for both lines. On the other side draft picks are rookies so we need time for all the new kids to develop. But to be honest we NEEDED to do this type of draft for years - and I would not be opposed to us doing it again as in concentrating on one or two position groups and just totally reloading them.

(08-04-2021, 05:20 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: Honestly, I would go line heavy in the draft as a general rule the majority of the time (say 2 out of 3 year) unless there is a can't miss prospect.   While they won't fix everything, a good offensive and defensive line can help keep the team competitive vs. having all skill players with no lines. 

Sorta like building a house.   if you don't have a good foundation, it's not going to last or stand up under pressure.   Provide a solid foundation, and it can last for years.

Winning teams are built from the trenches out. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:12 PM)The Clapp Wrote: Everything about this post makes me want to kick a cat.. 

In preseason, either the Bengals can Block or they can't.  - wow really.... thats some deep sh!t there.. and its not that simple.. most of the time starters are not playing.... lines are trying different schemes... defenses play vanilla...

i've seen teams go 0-4 in preseason but win 13 games... playing in preseason is not like playing in the regular season......

Didn't the Pats go 0-4 the preseason they almost went undefeated until Eli and the Giants got them?
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 08:04 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Especially if you're nasty.

[Image: b3241f30-fb46-0132-f418-0e18518aac2f.gif?w=320]

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I’m just happy to see the defensive backs are no longer social distancing from wide receivers.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m just happy to see the defensive backs are no longer social distancing from wide receivers.

NO DOUBT! They are in their grills man. 

Passing league, if guys like Boyd, Tee and Chase don't like it WR's will have a tough time this year.

Chase is one of the most physical WR's I have ever seen at the point of attack. He usually abuses DB's.

He needs to get used to it again, our DB's are used to it.
Reply/Quote
Should just have a new game show on national TV called WHO WANTS TO BE JOE'S SHRINK?  Man...it would break all ratings records!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with you Ocho, the injury combined with backups starting on the OL in front of Burrow is a bad combination for him 
to get back into the swing of things. This and our Corners blanketing the Receivers also doesn't help but who can blame the 
D? Not like they should be taking it easy.

Yes, it was a bad combination of lots of things. Expect noticeable improvement once the starters play more on the OL and Joe 
gets comfortable. BTW that is pretty wild with Slater playing that good this early against those DL vets. Might be the steal of the
Draft and he might end up being the best OT, better than Sewell. We will see how Carman improves.

Carman didn't have help with D'Ante Smith next to him and not Reiff. I like D'Ante but there is no way he comes in and just 
takes on Hubbard after the year Sam just had. Hubbard worked his ass off and just got paid, he will be a much better pass 
rusher this season guaranteed. Amazing work ethic, just the type of player you want on your team. Now we need to pay Bates.

You were the first one to note this, so I will add that it was also only Jonah Williams of the so-called "projected starters" on the line that got dominated yesterday.  Mike Jordan was at LG, Price was at C, Carman at RG, and (as you mentioned) Smith was at RT.  

Sorry for all the chicken little's taking "should have taken Sewell" victory laps, but if our defense couldn't take advantage of that line, I would be pissed.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m just happy to see the defensive backs are no longer social distancing from wide receivers.

This is great.  Yesterday I literally had to google to see who our CBs were week 1.  I knew we lost Waynes before we even really got him, and had WJIII on one side.  The other side was Darius Phillips.  The backups were the pathetic Leshawn Sims and Tony Brown.  I actually liked Mackenzie Alexander, our slot CB.

Overall, this has to be the most improved position group, where one of the backups is a former first rounder in Eli Apple, and a Darius Phillips looking to get a contract next year.  

Waynes was looking really good in camp before this (hopefully) minor injury.  

I loved WJIII when he was drafted, but he ended up being a lot like Dre Kirkpatrick:  very inconsistent.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:06 AM)grampahol Wrote: Should just have a new game show on national TV called WHO WANTS TO BE JOE'S SHRINK?  Man...it would break all ratings records!

Is it too early to declare Burrow the Steve Blass of the NFL?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't the Pats go 0-4 the preseason they almost went undefeated until Eli and the Giants got them?

Personally, for a team like the Bengals, I think winning in the pre-season is a big deal. 

This organization is 25-53-1 over the last 5 years.  

Those Patriot teams knew how to win. So 0-4 in the pre-season most of the players know the real games don't start until game 1 of the regular season.  

However, you have so many new pieces and parts on this team and 1st and 2nd year players that I think winning in the pre-season matters more to a team like this.  JMO 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 09:39 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Personally, for a team like the Bengals, I think winning in the pre-season is a big deal. 

This organization is 25-53-1 over the last 5 years.  

Those Patriot teams knew how to win. So 0-4 in the pre-season most of the players know the real games don't start until game 1 of the regular season.  

However, you have so many new pieces and parts on this team and 1st and 2nd year players that I think winning in the pre-season matters more to a team like this.  JMO 

Right, the results of the preseason dont matter but real decisions get made based on pre sesson performance.

Burrow isn't sitting out the preseason because he is a SB MVP with no need for practice.  Not yet at least.  

When this team stops needing 4-12 games to get their first win then we can start dismissing stuff that "doesn't count."
Reply/Quote