Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals release WR Denarius Moore among others
This morning, the Bengals made the following roster moves to get down closer to the 75 man mark...

Waive:
DT Kwame Geathers
C/G Chris Jasperse
LB Nico Johnson
WR Desmond Lawrence
DE Sam Montgomery
TE John Peters

Release:
WR Denarius Moore

Source = https://twitter.com/Bengals/

I'm not surprised, just disappointed that Moore didn't stick.
He hasn't shown up over Tate, Little, or Kumerow.

I am also sad to see Nico Johnson go, but understand why. I expect the final LB spot comes down to Flowers and Carter (unless they go 7 LBs).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Still 5 more to go.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 10:53 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This morning, the Bengals made the following roster moves to get down closer to the 75 man mark...

Waive:
DT Kwame Geathers
C/G Chris Jasperse
LB Nico Johnson
WR Desmond Lawrence
DE Sam Montgomery
TE John Peters

Release:
WR Denarius Moore

Source = https://twitter.com/Bengals/

I'm not surprised, just disappointed that Moore didn't stick.
He hasn't shown up over Tate, Little, or Kumerow.

I am also sad to see Nico Johnson go, but understand why. I expect the final LB spot comes down to Flowers and Carter (unless they go 7 LBs).

I saw the Moore thing coming, he just did not look good the 3 times I saw him live (at practice and games) as he could not beat press coverage against our DB's in practice and looked lethargic in the games.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Not surprised about any cuts thus far.

I am, however, surprised that Moore didn't pan out as a WR4 in general. I had higher hopes for him than being signed, showing nothing, and then being released. Definitely misread that whole situation!
Reply/Quote
Moore was a big disappointment for me. Really expected him to be a solid #3/#4 WR. He was a legitimate proven deep threat. Guess either he was injured worse than they claimed last year, or else his head just isn't in the game. He is still just 26 and '14 was his only bad season. His first three seasons he had over 2000 yards, 17 tds , and averaged almost 16 yards per catch.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Moore was a big disappointment for me.  Really expected him to be a solid #3/#4 WR.   He was a legitimate proven deep threat.  Guess either he was injured worse than they claimed last year, or else his head just isn't in the game.  He is still just 26 and '14 was his only bad season.  His first three seasons he had over 2000 yards, 17 tds , and averaged almost 16 yards per catch.

I agree.

I thought Moore could help us big time.

But the good news is I do see a better Greg Little, both at WR and on special teams so maybe he is that diamond in the rough in 2015.

I also like Kumerow, but see no way he makes the 53 man roster. He needs to come up with a mysterious injury so we can put him on the practice squad and keep him there as others would be leery to grab him if he is hurt.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Even with a James Wright injury. If he can't beat out Greg Little and Kumerow, he really doesn't deserve to be here.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:17 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Even with a James Wright injury. If he can't beat out Greg Little and Kumerow, he really doesn't deserve to be here.

No doubt.  The door was open, but he did nothing,
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:17 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Even with a James Wright injury. If he can't beat out Greg Little and Kumerow, he really doesn't deserve to be here.

Absolutely. Maybe he thought he could coast through the preseason and make the team.
Reply/Quote
I was a little surprised at the Nico Johnson cut. Maybe that was my high hopes that since he was healthy that he would be a contributor.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:30 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I was a little surprised at the Nico Johnson cut.  Maybe that was my high hopes that since he was healthy that he would be a contributor.

Maybe not surprised, but certainly disappointed. Nico between Burfict and Dawson would have been pretty amazing. Instead, we get "Whiff" Maualuga again, probably just because they overpaid to keep him. And what has Hawk shown since he's been here?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:30 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I was a little surprised at the Nico Johnson cut. Maybe that was my high hopes that since he was healthy that he would be a contributor.

Any PS eligiblity left?

Also John Peters hes that big local product right (at TE)

any one see any of these guys going to the practice squad or will those be from the final cuts?
Reply/Quote
Dolphins cut JD Walton, a veteran (6 years) center. Could be worth a tryout, at least.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
All the cuts make sense so far.

I expect the releases of Ghee, Hawkinson, Jake Smith, Weisman and possibly Keo to be coming up soon as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Any PS eligiblity left?

any one see any of these guys going to the practice squad or will those be from the final cuts?

I think these are all final cuts.

Lengel obviously impressed them more than Peters.

I don't think Johnson has any PS eligibility left.

I tried to summarize it, but there is really no way to make this any less complicated:

Quote:Eligibility

Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.
  • A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
  • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
  • A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
  • Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times
However, the NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to expand NFL Practice Squads for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Absent an extension of the agreement, the current rules will be reinstated beginning with the 2016 season.

Under the agreement, 2014 and 2015 Practice Squads will increase from the current maximum of eight players to 10 players.

In addition, the criteria for Practice Squad eligibility has been expanded in two respects.

First, a player must have a minimum of six games - up from the current three games - on a Practice Squad in order for that season to count as one of the player's three permissible seasons of Practice Squad service.

Second, each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/8/31/6089749/nfl-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-rules-size-and-more

I personally hate how complicated the practice squad is. I just think they should do an MLB style farm team. The practice squad is almost like a cruel joke to the players that exist on it.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:46 AM)Shady Wrote: Dolphins cut JD Walton, a veteran (6 years) center. Could be worth a tryout, at least.

Agreed

Center is the weakest link on the team.    DL stunt right by Bodine when they aren't shoving him into the backfield.  I see no growth between his rookie year and now.

I'm truly disappointed.   Hopefully he displays some growth early in the season, but I thought he'd look better than this.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Any PS eligiblity left?

According to Paul Dehner Jr., Nico Johnson is eligible for the PS under the new exemption for players with two years experience.
https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr

I think he was released now compared to after the final preseason game is to give him a chance to latch on somewhere else.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:58 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The practice squad is almost like a cruel joke to the players that exist on it.

They still make significantly more money then most of us will, doing what they love. Sounds like a pretty good gig to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 12:08 PM)3wt Wrote: Agreed

Center is the weakest link on the team.    DL stunt right by Bodine when they aren't shoving him into the backfield.  I see no growth between his rookie year and now.

I'm truly disappointed.   Hopefully he displays some growth early in the season, but I thought he'd look better than this.
The things he is struggling with now are the same things he struggled with at NC. Amazingly strong guy so that bailed him out a lot at NC against college defenders but he has horrible technique and slow feet. I honestly just don't see how we go another full season with him at Center. I hope he gets better but from what he is showing so far this preseason, its going to be bad at C this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2015, 11:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: All the cuts make sense so far.

I expect the releases of Ghee, Hawkinson, Jake Smith, Weisman and possibly Keo to be coming up soon as well.

could see all of those... looks like game 4 will be for figuring out that DL depth..

and the final RB and WR spots....

i wanna see watson and wilder against 2s instead of 3s and 4s
Reply/Quote