Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals retain Iloka
(03-09-2016, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, he is worth a lot.  Even in his 30's he will get a good contract.  

Safeties make a lot of plays with their brains.  That is why a lot of them are able to play well into their thirties.  Darren Sharper was older than Reggie when the Saints signed him and he turned out to be their defensive MVP in their Super Bowl season.  I think Brian Dawkins played until he was 50.

Agreed, Ed Reed is another.

There are times when Reggie looks slow if he gets atrociously out of position, but that rarely ever happens. Very smart player.
Reply/Quote
Completely ecstatic with this, i actually thought we would be able to bring back MLJ, Reggie and Adam all
before Iloka. George has grown into one of my favorite players and is the better player in my opinion than
all the other FA's. One of the best in the league at his position, him and Eric Berry.

MLJ going to Detroit is what i heard, they wanted to pay him as a #1. We will see if he becomes that but if
they think he is going to replace Megatron i think everyone knows that is not going to happen.

Great news with George coming back. Covers like a CB and hits like a Linebacker, great frickin news!

Rock On
Reply/Quote
Iloka was #1 on the list of guys I wanted us to bring back. Glad we got the deal done.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Rodney McLeod just signed for the Eagles, 5-year, $37 million

I think our Iloka deal looks even better.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:47 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Rodney McLeod just signed for the Eagles, 5-year, $37 million

I think our Iloka deal looks even better.

Yes, but the Eagles might be the most backasswards run organization right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, he is worth a lot.  Even in his 30's he will get a good contract.  

Safeties make a lot of plays with their brains.  That is why a lot of them are able to play well into their thirties.  Darren Sharper was older than Reggie when the Saints signed him and he turned out to be their defensive MVP in their Super Bowl season.  I think Brian Dawkins played until he was 50.

Charles Woodson as well. There's a lot of examples of safeties playing well deep into their 30's. Hopefully Nelson will join those guys.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I would really like to see the Bengals get a team friendly deal from Reggie Nelson considering the fact that Reggie Nelson was tossed away early in his career. I think even a deal for 2 years at 4 million dollars a year would be good for him and us.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:01 PM)Okeana Wrote: I would really like to see the Bengals get a team friendly deal from Reggie Nelson considering the fact that Reggie Nelson was tossed away early in his career.  I think even a deal for 2 years at 4 million dollars a year would be good for him and us.

You think Reggie would take that after his big year last season?

I don't know, i think he will get a bigger deal somewhere else, likely with Zimmer.

Would love to have Reggie back though and keep our dynamic Safety tandem in tact.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:01 PM)Okeana Wrote: I would really like to see the Bengals get a team friendly deal from Reggie Nelson considering the fact that Reggie Nelson was tossed away early in his career.  I think even a deal for 2 years at 4 million dollars a year would be good for him and us.

Don't think many would be against that, they respect the Hell out of him.

But this is Shawn's time, they won't want to limit Nelson's last years as a backup, let him make bank somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You think Reggie would take that after his big year last season?

I don't know, i think he will get a bigger deal somewhere else, likely with Zimmer.

Would love to have Reggie back though and keep our dynamic Safety tandem in tact.

I don't think Reggie is expecting a big deal. He knows what he will get at his age . He is moving into chris Crocker years.
Reply/Quote
Eagles sign S Rodney McLeod (5 years, $37M; $17M guaranteed)

Well don't they look stupid we got the third best safety for 7 million less.

Also I'd easily give Nelson a 3 year $12 million deal. Probably even $15 million. I don't think Williams will be as good as Nelson could be within that time frame.

The question is Minnesota would probably be willing to give him a 3 or 4 year contract with good money whereas we have Williams so we'd probably only want Nelson for a year or two and move towards the younger guy
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:05 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Don't think many would be against that, they respect the Hell out of him.

But this is Shawn's time, they won't want to limit Nelson's last years as a backup, let him make bank somewhere else.

I think this is the way the FO thinks about the situation.

I don't disagree with it either, i will just miss Reggie big time. Dude was a great Bengal for us.

But we drafted Shawn to be a starter and George just simply outplayed him, same with Reggie of course.

Now is his time, you are correct and the coaches want Shawn out there now, not later.

(03-09-2016, 03:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I don't think Reggie is expecting a big deal.   He knows what he will get at his age . He is moving into chris Crocker years.

He led the league in interceptions last season and Safeties can play deep into their 30's as of late...

Look at Darren Sharper and recently Charles Woodson. Not the Chris Crockers of the world bro.
Reply/Quote
Locking up George of the Jungle is huge. Looking at the roster the "bright idea guy" in me wants to move him to LB and bring back Reggie and let Reggie and Williams patrol the backfield. Admittedly it is the same mentality of move Whit to Guard position.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Locking up George of the Jungle is huge. Looking at the roster the "bright idea guy" in me wants to move him to LB and bring back Reggie and let Reggie and Williams patrol the backfield. Admittedly it is the same mentality of move Whit to Guard position.

Hmmm, i like this thought. Been talking about Barron, Killebrew, Cravens etc. taking the hybrid role and we already
have a guy on the team that covers like a Corner and hits like a Linebacker...

Hmmm
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Locking up George of the Jungle is huge. Looking at the roster the "bright idea guy" in me wants to move him to LB and bring back Reggie and let Reggie and Williams patrol the backfield. Admittedly it is the same mentality of move Whit to Guard position.

Maybe not.  Maybe it would be just what the doctor ordered.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:52 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe not.  Maybe it would be just what the doctor ordered.

Exactly, and after all we did have Shawn playing Linebacker late last year. This would be a way to get all 3 of them out there.
Reply/Quote
Glad for the deal. He's making great money for a SS and it's team friendly.

Also, saw the Bengals are trying hard with Reggie Nelson right now too.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 04:00 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Glad for the deal. He's making great money for a SS and it's team friendly.

Man, i didn't expect us to keep this entire Secondary together but if we can that would be a great job by the FO.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 04:00 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Glad for the deal. He's making great money for a SS and it's team friendly.

I just saw the opposite. Saw that the Bengals offered him a 2 year deal early in the week and he turned it down so now the Bengals do not want him back at all with Iloka signed. I think that is a mistake because Reggie is more talented than Williams right now and therefore you should want the more talented player back. Williams has potential but I think it will take a couple more years before he could even get in the conversation with how good Reggie has been for us.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
This is the one re-signing before free agency started that I thought we had to have above all the others. Very nice job by the Bengals front office to get one of our cornerstones on defense locked up. And for a very decent price I might add. Good to have you back in stripes Iloka!
Reply/Quote