Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals road to 53 man roster complete 2017 - cuts, trade, IRs
(09-02-2017, 05:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Alex Boone refused to take a paycut in Minnesotta and got waived.

We have $18.6 million cap space and he's 30. He'd likely be our 2nd best lineman.

I don't know the numbers but he has 3 yr left, so if the Vikes saved half his cap number then Cinco could claim him and have him locked in for something like a little more than 3 mil a year right?  Heck I'd claim him, cut Redmond and he could be up to speed as the RG in a few weeks.  
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 07:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Glad to see Nickerson made it. Consistenly looked like the worst defender on the team. But ol Marv coached his dad. Really all that matters. Smart move.

At least we got another 7th round pick for next year for Flowers. Instead of having a good LB we have a shitty one and a throw away draft pick we can cut like most of our late rounders this year. Bravo

He'll only be here till Burfict returns, not too worried about his spot as he'll probably be inactive. Flowers would have been cut with no return in favor of Evans who outplayed everyone.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 07:48 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: He'll only be here till Burfict returns, not too worried about his spot as he'll probably be inactive. Flowers would have been cut with no return in favor of Evans who outplayed everyone.

We only have 53 spots though. Nickerson was not one of our best 53. I hope im wrong. But he looked worse than Maualuga ever did.

Flowers would be active and making an impact on special teams and wouldnt be a liability if he had to take snaps on D.

Put it this way. Bill bellicheat wanted Flowers. Marv coached someones dad so his son now takes up one of our precious roster spots.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 08:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We only have 53 spots though. Nickerson was not one of our best 53. I hope im wrong. But he looked worse than Maualuga ever did.

Flowers would be active and making an impact on special teams and wouldnt be a liability if he had to take snaps on D.

Put it this way. Bill bellicheat wanted Flowers. Marv coached someones dad so his son now takes up one of our precious roster spots.

Who is his dad anyway? Was us AJ?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 08:58 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Who is his dad anyway? Was us AJ?

Hardy Nickerson for the Steelers.

That was AJ Nicholson that you're thinking of. The LB from FSU that was here briefly.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 08:58 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Who is his dad anyway? Was us AJ?

Hardy Nickerson Sr.  played for a long time.  He was a 5X Pro Bowler.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NickHa00.htm

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm not shocked Gilberry was cut but I honestly can't see much difference between him and MJ's play.

Both are progressively getting worse IMO.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Nickerson is trash. Good thing Marvin hooked up his ole friend. Im surprised they finally released Clarke , that guy was just worthless. Made MJ look , nevermind hes trash too. But seriously where's that guy that said Clarke was a better pass rusher than Dunlap. He had all the crazy stats to prove it.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 08:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We only have 53 spots though. Nickerson was not one of our best 53. I hope im wrong. But he looked worse than Maualuga ever did.

I don't think Flowers would have made the 53 if not traded. Evans outplayed him for the last LB spot. Nickerson is probably a guy they keep till Burfict is back and move to the PS. 

Reply/Quote
Also, I may have missed it somewhere but do we have a list of players cut that are eligible for the PS?

Reply/Quote
surprised Cox didn't make it
Reply/Quote
The Cardinals cut 4th round pick Dorian Johnson, the highly rated Guard out of Pitt. Very shocked at this one.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 11:29 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: The Cardinals cut 4th round pick Dorian Johnson, the highly rated Guard out of Pitt. Very shocked at this one.

I would like to give him a shot. He was a guy I liked in the draft process.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 11:29 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: The Cardinals cut 4th round pick Dorian Johnson, the highly rated Guard out of Pitt. Very shocked at this one.

Yea I'd rather develop a guy like that unless they really see something in Redmond.  Some had him as a 2nd rounder.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 08:11 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We only have 53 spots though. Nickerson was not one of our best 53. I hope im wrong. But he looked worse than Maualuga ever did.

I remember the year we were on Hard Knocks and one of the main storylines was whether or not Jason Dimanche would make the roster. We followed him all off season and I remember being so happy for him and excited to have him on the team.

He played a total of 47 snaps on defense all year.

The 6th LB is all about special teams. Even during Burfict's suspension, Nickerson will likely never line up on defense.

I don't think we need to worry about the difference in special teams between Flowers and Nickerson. We basically got our 7th round pick back that we spent on Chris Smith for 3 games worth of Flowers over Nickerson.

Not really something worth complaining or worrying about, I wouldn't think.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 11:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I remember the year we were on Hard Knocks and one of the main storylines was whether or not Jason Dimanche would make the roster. We followed him all off season and I remember being so happy for him and excited to have him on the team.

The 6th LB is all about special teams. Even during Burfict's suspension, Nickerson will likely never line up on defense.

I don't think we need to worry about the difference in special teams between Flowers and Nickerson. We basically got our 7th round pick back that we spent on Chris Smith for 3 games worth of Flowers over Nickerson.

Agree with that. Both of them were gone, but the difference is we got an extra pick out of Flowers when we probably wouldn't have been able to with Nickerson. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 09:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hardy Nickerson for the Steelers.

That was AJ Nicholson that you're thinking of. The LB from FSU that was here briefly.

Ok thanks. That's who I was thinking of.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 11:42 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I remember the year we were on Hard Knocks and one of the main storylines was whether or not Jason Dimanche would make the roster. We followed him all off season and I remember being so happy for him and excited to have him on the team.

Only reason im complaining about it is since i first heard the story about how marv coached his dad i instantly thought there was one of marvs roster spots decided not by football talent.

I thought he looked totally out classed on an nfl field. Here he is on our 53 man roster. Not because of talent. Because of our head coach.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:45 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Only reason im complaining about it is since i first heard the story about how marv coached his dad i instantly thought there was one of marvs roster spots decided not by football talent.

I thought he looked totally out classed on an nfl field. Here he is on our 53 man roster. Not because of talent. Because of our head coach.

Lap seems to think he's good. I never really paid much attention to him.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:45 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Only reason im complaining about it is since i first heard the story about how marv coached his dad i instantly thought there was one of marvs roster spots decided not by football talent.

If this is the case, then so be it. It's the 6th LB spot, a spot that will not dress active on game days. If he does this favor for a friend, gets the kid some experience and a paycheck for 3 weeks, so be it. 

The team seemed really interested in him and every projection of the PS I said had him on it. So, they delay cutting him till Burfict is back and then move him easily to the PS. 

If the league hadn't screwed over Burfict, Nickerson wouldn't be on the roster at all.

Reply/Quote