Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals road to 53 man roster complete 2017 - cuts, trade, IRs
(09-02-2017, 03:20 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: They are not pass rushers. 
They just aren't.

If you have two of the 3 NT kept on the field at the same time, teams will audible to spread it out and throw all day

I don't think they need them as rushers as much as more athletic beef that can push the pocket and shed the block and make TsFL and get mop up on some sacks. At least that's what it seems.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:57 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't think they need them as rushers as much as more athletic beef that can push the pocket and shed the block and make TsFL and get mop up on some sacks. At least that's what it seems.

I would agree with you on this faulk, not too mention we really have no idea what Billings is going to be yet. The guy missed an entire year due to injury and is basically a rookie all over. For all we know, he could end up being like Geno. 

Sims...yeah, he is a fatty to stop the run, but I wouldn't make a decision on either of the young guys at this point.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The biggest surprise for me is that, up to now, no one has mentioned that Erickson, Core and Malone all made the 53 AND they kept 4 TEs + Hewitt. Wink

So, when Pacman and Burfict come back, i guess the question is, which WR gets the axe along with Carter. Or maybe Driskell goes on IR with Carter being cut/ possibly PS'd.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 03:49 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The biggest surprise for me is that, up to now, no one has mentioned that Erickson, Core and Malone all made the 53 AND they kept 4 TEs + Hewitt. Wink

So, when Pacman and Burfict come back, i guess the question is, which WR gets the axe along with Carter. Or maybe Driskell goes on IR with Carter being cut/ possibly PS'd.

No WR is being cut this year, we will stay with 7. We will cut Carter (4 TE's and 1 HBack) soon if a waiver wire guy is needed to beef our OL or DL or even a 4th running back. When Burfict gets back, our young TE should be back making Carter expendable and hopefully to practice squad.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 08:45 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No WR is being cut this year, we will stay with 7. We will cut Carter (4 TE's and 1 HBack) soon if a waiver wire guy is needed to beef our OL or DL or even a 4th running back. When Burfict gets back, our young TE should be back making Carter expendable and hopefully to practice squad.

They have to make a move after week 1 with Pacman. Who goes then?

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:57 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't think they need them as rushers as much as more athletic beef that can push the pocket and shed the block and make TsFL and get mop up on some sacks. At least that's what it seems.

The problem isn't when Geno is on the field. 
It's when Geno is getting his rest series. 

We've seen this before. Geno goes off, the other team marches down the field. Rarely running. 
Geno has to run back on to hold them to a FG at best. 

It would probably go a long way in helping the playoff chances if Geno wasn't dead legged by December. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 10:56 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The problem isn't when Geno is on the field. 
It's when Geno is getting his rest series. 

We've seen this before. Geno goes off, the other team marches down the field. Rarely running. 
Geno has to run back on to hold them to a FG at best. 

It would probably go a long way in helping the playoff chances if Geno wasn't dead legged by December. 

I'd put that more on coaches. If Geno is out and the other team is marching down the field, why stay with a 4 man rush? Run some games up front, bring a few blitzes from different angles. 

It's not like there's a complete lack of talent minus Geno. 

I agree with a fresher Geno in Dec/Jan helps the team tremendously. 

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd put that more on coaches. If Geno is out and the other team is marching down the field, why stay with a 4 man rush? Run some games up front, bring a few blitzes from different angles. 

It's not like there's a complete lack of talent minus Geno. 

I agree with a fresher Geno in Dec/Jan helps the team tremendously. 

It's on coaches when they bring 3 NT and only one 3tech. 

There isn't a lack of talent overall but there's a lack of penetrating 3T who might be able to rush the passer. 

Billings, Glasgow and Sims aren't that. 
Glasgow, at best right now, is a run stopping 3T. Which is valuable but not when your only other players share the same skill set. 
That's what concerns me. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 03:19 PM)Derrick Wrote: WTF is this jerky video? Moreover, WHY?

What are you talking about? The gif in my sig?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:02 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's on coaches when they bring 3 NT and only one 3tech. 

There isn't a lack of talent overall but there's a lack of penetrating 3T who might be able to rush the passer. 

Glasgow, at best right now, is a run stopping 3T. Which is valuable but not when your only other players share the same skill set. 
That's what concerns me. 

No doubt, there's concern right now with their inexperience with the young guys. Same with Sims. He's proven what he is.

I'm guessing the coaching staff is banking on Billings and Glasgow being able to penetrate and shed better than some past/current guys they've had. They've both shown some flashes, mostly in college and pre season...so grab on to that ole Bengals standby "hope" and cross your fingers. (i so freaking hate the "hope" train that is so much ridden around this board)

I'm with you on the concern though. Forget hope, i'll believe it when they show it to me. 

My earlier guess, is the only way i can rationalize how they've picked who they picked. 

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:02 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's on coaches when they bring 3 NT and only one 3tech. 

That's what concerns me. 

Maybe we will see Wallace back, or they might use MJ inside more.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No doubt, there's concern right now with their inexperience with the young guys. Same with Sims. He's proven what he is.

I'm guessing the coaching staff is banking on Billings and Glasgow being able to penetrate and shed better than some past/current guys they've had. They've both shown some flashes, mostly in college and pre season...so grab on to that ole Bengals standby "hope" and cross your fingers. (i so freaking hate the "hope" train that is so much ridden around this board)

I'm with you on the concern though. Forget hope, i'll believe it when they show it to me. 

My earlier guess, is the only way i can rationalize how they've picked who they picked. 

I just don't see the upside in Glasgow and Billings for that scenario. 
As run stoppers, I think they both have tremendous upside. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:18 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Maybe we will see Wallace back, or they might use MJ inside more.

Honestly if MJ is on the field I'd rather see him playing inside than trying to drop back in coverage hybrid linebacker stuff.

That is a recipe for failure. 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:18 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Maybe we will see Wallace back, or they might use MJ inside more.

Wallace should come nowhere near this roster again.

MJ can do that in certain situations but he's not a DT. If we trot him out there teams will run at us hard. 
It will work for obvious passing downs. and against no huddle 2 min offenses but it won't work on a sustained drive. 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:23 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Wallace should come nowhere near this roster again.

MJ can do that in certain situations but he's not a DT. If we trot him out there teams will run at us hard. 
It will work for obvious passing downs. and against no huddle 2 min offenses but it won't work on a sustained drive. 

I think they are equally bad.

You're right.  There would be much better inside options.  Probably on someone's cutting room floor.

MJ just isn't getting anything done on the outside.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:21 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I just don't see the upside in Glasgow and Billings for that scenario. 
As run stoppers, I think they both have tremendous upside. 

I was pretty meh on Glasgow when he was drafted because i didn't know a thing about him. I will give him this though; he fights to get off blocks and he's a high motor guy. He doesn't just look to engage and push like some guys the Bengals have had in the past. Billings definitely went after the QB in college. 

It remains to be seen if either or both can do that same thing in the NFL. 

Reply/Quote
The new defensive line coach seems to be moving on from Hayes' guys. I think Atkins, Glasgow, and Billings will get most of the snaps this year at tackle, and there will also probably be a heavy rotation with the young edge players early and often.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 08:49 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They have to make a move after week 1 with Pacman. Who goes then?

My guess whomever they grab for Driskel to today or Carter the rookie TE
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 11:27 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think they are equally bad.

You're right.  There would be much better inside options.  Probably on someone's cutting room floor.

MJ just isn't getting anything done on the outside.

Agreed. At least inside MJ's inability to bend now isn't as glaring of an issue. 

(09-03-2017, 11:36 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I was pretty meh on Glasgow when he was drafted because i didn't know a thing about him. I will give him this though; he fights to get off blocks and he's a high motor guy. He doesn't just look to engage and push like some guys the Bengals have had in the past. Billings definitely went after the QB in college. 

It remains to be seen if either or both can do that same thing in the NFL. 

That is what he is. He's a high motor relentless worker. Not overly explosive and not overly athletic. 

With Billings you have to decipher what was a "Hunt-Sack" and what was a skill sack. 

A "Hunt-Sack" would be just being a freak of nature (which he is) and running over a guy with pure strength because the other poor bastard isn't as strong. 
This differs from a bull rush move, in that a bull rush requires proper placement of hands, leverage and hip flexion to disengage from the block without losing balance. 
You might be able to get a few of those but it isn't a repeatable or dependable thing.

Then you watch Geno bull rush and you see it's dependable and repeatable with how he uses his hands, leverage and hips all in unison almost every time he bull rushes. The insane power of Geno just makes it that much more effective. 
Reply/Quote
I knew Clarke was gone. I'm a little surprised at Hardison was let go. I really like Tupou. They will probably sneak Wilson onto the practice squad and with the offense of line the way it is they had to go with three quarterbacks.

Don't be surprised that they pick up one or two players from another team maybe TJ Ward.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote