Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign CB Russell from PS; waive Auden Tate
Core plays special teams....Tate does not. When you can only contribute one way and there are other players better than you at that position you become expendable.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 04:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would have waived Cody Core. Mellow

After that drop last week, i realized were wasting time with this guy.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:12 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: After that drop last week, i realized were wasting time with this guy.

Can't judge a player on one drop from a game like that.  Look at all the drops by the other receivers and DBs.
Reply/Quote
This was a special teams decision. Core has played well on special teams where Tate hasn't been able to move in front of him. Your 4th and 5th receivers HAVE to make an impact on special teams.
Reply/Quote
Core plays special teams, Tate doesn't.

However I would have waived Core, and give Tate a chance in real games. I was never high on Tate as others were, one of the few actually early on that wasn't. But I always would rather see someone like Tate given a chance verses someone like Core that has been given chances and shown he just isnt good.

The offense without Eifert could use a possible target like Tate, especially in the red-zone. Or at the least given the chance to be a possible threat at times.

Also not to mention that Ross is pretty injury prone so far early into his career. Due to that and Eifert already gone, I'd rather see what Tate can do than what Core has shown. Core might be alright on special teams but it isnt like he can be replaced with Russell or someone else.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 05:42 PM)jj22 Wrote:  I maintain I understand why people are questioning the decision. It's not like they've earned trust.

They have earned it more than the fans around here.  I could list two dozens players that fans drooled over that never amounted to anything.

And speaking of the rest of the front offices in the league, they all had 252 chances to draft Tate and passed.
Reply/Quote
Everyone keeps saying Tate doesn't play special but if Darrin Simmons hasn't taught Tate to plays special teams by now I'd lose all faith in him as a coach.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Off topic a bit, I guess, but what the hell has happened to Josh Malone? He didn't have a ton of catches last year but he did show some promise. And then, this year, nothing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Everyone keeps harping on Core.....Malone is the #6 receiver. Tate didn't even displace him.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Everyone keeps saying Tate doesn't play special but if Darrin Simmons hasn't taught Tate to plays special teams by now I'd lose all faith in him as a coach.

Too slow maybe? The only thing I could see using him for is a hands team.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:43 PM)McC Wrote: Off topic a bit, I guess, but what the hell has happened to Josh Malone?  He didn't have a ton of catches last year but he did show some promise.  And then, this year, nothing.

This.

Malone seemed to be a better option for playing time than Core, but he has almost disappeared.  He played 29 snaps on offense against Caroline, but only a combined 26 in the other 5 games.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Everyone keeps saying Tate doesn't play special but if Darrin Simmons hasn't taught Tate to plays special teams by now I'd lose all faith in him as a coach.

I am sure Simmons has taught him, but there are just other players on the team (also coached by Simmons) who do it better.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Too slow maybe? The only thing I could see using him for is a hands team.

He's not slower than Vincent Rey.

(10-18-2018, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sure Simmons has taught him, but there are just other players on the team (also coached by Simmons) who do it better.

But not ones that can be useful other than 5 or 6 special teams snaps a game. 

Seriously though do you think Tate over Core on special teams would cost them a game? I don't and he might actually help in the offense.

Edit: At this point I'm just saying special teams is a silly argument every player on at least the back half of the roster should be able to play special teams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tate can't help on offense.  He is not good enough.

Tate will be just like all the other late round picks that were fan favorites.  He won't do jack for any other team in the league when he leaves the Bengals.

You know this for a fact? Bengals shouldnt even draft late round players then might as well stop at what round 5?

Reply/Quote
So does Core play Special Teams?? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:57 PM)Synric Wrote: He's not slower than Vincent Rey.

Actually, he is. At least his 40 time was...

Rey 4.58
Tate 4.68

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 05:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Core has played almost 100 snaps this year.  Tate has zero.

Interesting, yet both have approximately the same amount of production..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Auden Tate... forever shall he be remembered in the Hall of Bengals WRs Who Never Were, next to all-time greats like Armon Binns, Dezmon Briscoe, Ryan Whalen, Cody Core, James Wright, Cobi Hamilton, etc.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 07:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Actually, he is. At least his 40 time was...

Rey 4.58
Tate 4.68

Rey didn't run at the combine if that's his Pro day number always add .5. And that was what 8 years ago?

Reply/Quote
So then, Hooray Russell! Welcome to the game day squad. (just don't screw up back there, or it's back to the PS with ya... Ninja )

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote