Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals signing Kevin Minter
I just hope we resign him if he has a good season.

What's the good LB market like right now?
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

(03-18-2017, 10:56 PM)Housh Wrote: In MJ case he's not horrible

He's simply mediocre

Good guy coming off a bench. Shouldn't be dominating the snap count like he didn't last year

I agree MJ is solid as his role is to hold the LOS on runs and rush the passer. I know we want stars at every position, but reality is a few stars and great role players are what is needed in my humble opinion. I look back at winners in almost every sport and I see these role players step up in the big game or have career years helping their teams win it all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(03-19-2017, 08:57 AM)milksheikh Wrote: I just hope we resign him if he has a good season.

What's the good LB market like right now?

shame we couldnt sign him to a 2 yr deal
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Well......I will be damned.  Welcome to Cincy Kevin....and the FO deserves a bit of an atta boy for making a good FA signing.  He certainly doesn't fit the mold of our typical signings.  This looks to be a solid move.

"Better send those refunds..."

Great value. I wish it was for 2 years though. If he blows up this year , he will he asking for the bank. Let's see
(03-19-2017, 09:36 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Great value. I wish it was for 2 years though. If he blows up this year , he will he asking for the bank. Let's see

And then Brown gets his high comp pick.
Funny how everyone is loving this guy. I'm not I would of preferred Robinson who their fan base said could cover. Cardinals fan base says he's undersized, slow, and can only cover a fullback. Yet we give this guy 4.5 million when nobody else did, why couldn't they have put that money on the whitworth fund? I hope he's ok for us, but I doubt he's good, he also sounds like a thug on mic'd up. Dont like how he talks. I'm not sure if he is better then Rey maualuga or not.
(03-19-2017, 09:48 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Funny how everyone is loving this guy. I'm not I would of preferred Robinson who their fan base said could cover. Cardinals fan base says he's undersized, slow, and can only cover a fullback. Yet we give this guy 4.5 million when nobody else did, why couldn't they have put that money on the whitworth fund?  I hope he's ok for us, but I doubt he's good, he also sounds like a thug on mic'd up. Dont like how he talks. I'm not sure if he is better then Rey maualuga or not.

I guess we will see, but not sure a fan base is a great judge of talent. I thought I read he is a top cover LB according to PFF or one of the sites.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
I don't have a problem with picking him up, but I'm also not sold on him. Hopefully he will feed off of Burfict (in a good way) and our LBers will not be a problem this year. And I may be alone in this, but I am glad it is a 1 year deal. That means he HAS to learn the system and perform. If he gets cut by the Bengals after being cut by the Cardinals, his chance of making significant money is gone, so the one year deal means we should get his very best this year. If he's showing strong 3/4ers of the way through the season, they can extend him. If he flops, he gets let go. Win win.... I was wanting Foster, but getting kicked out of the combine kind of put a damper on that... we don't need another trouble maker. If Minter starts in the middle with Burfict at WILL and Vigil at SAM, I expect that will work great unless Haslett screws them up. This should give Paulie some great options.
(03-19-2017, 09:48 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Cardinals fan base says he's undersized, slow, and can only cover a fullback. 

Fan bases often do not know what they are talking about.
(03-19-2017, 01:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think it is funny Hobson is hyping Minter up as a big speed addition at LB. He ran a 4.8 at the combine. Sure he isnt a fat slow washed up turd like Maualuga. I know Burfict isnt a speed demon. And Vrey gives 195% effort to run slower than most college LBs. But hyping up a 4.8 40 guy as a speed addition at LB shows how sad we got with 270lbs Maualuga and 54 year old Dansby covering RBs out of the backfield.

To be fair, I read that Minter lost almost 15 pounds a few off seasons ago in order to increase his agility and speed.

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/17439/weight-loss-led-kevin-minter-to-every-down-role-this-season-for-cardinals
(03-19-2017, 09:48 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Funny how everyone is loving this guy. I'm not I would of preferred Robinson who their fan base said could cover. Cardinals fan base says he's undersized, slow, and can only cover a fullback. Yet we give this guy 4.5 million when nobody else did, why couldn't they have put that money on the whitworth fund?  I hope he's ok for us, but I doubt he's good, he also sounds like a thug on mic'd up. Dont like how he talks. I'm not sure if he is better then Rey maualuga or not.

How does he sound like a thug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgMv-H7i2Nw

Because he occasionally uses ebonics?
(03-19-2017, 03:52 AM)pledgi Wrote: I see not picking Foster at number nine as a major upside of this deal.  Foster would be a reach and being kicked out of the combine is a major red flag for me. 

Agreed. I want no part of Foster at 9, and that along with a possible Maualuga release I see as major benefits to this.

(03-19-2017, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Fan bases often do not know what they are talking about.

You realize you're part of the fanbase right? One of the most vocal parts?

You're not somehow above the rest of us.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
I hate that this was a one year deal. He's younger and better than Rey Maualuga, and keeping him for multiple seasons would keep us from having to draft a middle linebacker for a few years.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
(03-19-2017, 10:35 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: How does he sound like a thug?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgMv-H7i2Nw

Because he occasionally uses ebonics?

Yeah I'm about as anti-PC as it gets and I don't hear it. What I hear isn't ghetto talk, it's standard issue southern black accent.

That was my guess, then I looked it up, and sure enough he's from Georgia.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(03-19-2017, 10:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. I want no part of Foster at 9, and that along with a possible Maualuga release I see as major benefits to this.

You realize you're part of the fanbase right? One of the most vocal parts?

I don't think we'll release Rey if Minters here on a one year deal. I think signing Minter puts the writing on the wall for Rey though.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
(03-19-2017, 03:16 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Is anyone thinking we could have a very scary front 7 in 2017?? Atkins and dunlap getting their 10+ sacks a year as usual, billings and johnson/high round draft pick gettting consistent pressure on the qb, probably a combined 12-15 sacks from them. Then we got mitner playing mlb with his 2-4 sacks per year, Burfict as our WSL getting 2-4 sacks per year, and vigil as our SLB getting 2-4. I see a minimum of 42 sacks this year. Not to mention our lb corp is going to be nice with us actually having range for once. We will also have 2 bonafide leaders on our lb corp. Gonna be great not seeing tight ends wide open 15 yards downfield for once. Top 10 lb corp??

Great to see a optimistic post on this board. It's been too long.
(03-19-2017, 10:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You realize you're part of the fanbase right? One of the most vocal parts?

[Image: giphy.gif]
(03-19-2017, 10:27 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: To be fair, I read that Minter lost almost 150 pounds a few off seasons ago in order to increase his agility and speed.

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/17439/weight-loss-led-kevin-minter-to-every-down-role-this-season-for-cardinals

Dude used to weigh 380?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-19-2017, 11:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Dude used to weigh 380?

and ran a 4.8? Goodness.

Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media