Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals went after Kubiak
Well, Lazor learned under WCO pioneer Mike Holmgren. Kubiak runs a pretty true WCO. Take of that what you will.

You could connect almost anybody in the NFL though. That said, isn't Lazor the vegas odds-on favorite to win the job?

Maybe they know something.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25696938/denver-broncos-blocking-teams-interviewing-gary-kubiak-offensive-coordinator-openings

This is very interesting. Wouldn't this imply that we've made a decision on HC?

The bengals either haven't decided on HC but thinks it can make the best OC decision for whoever they hired, or they already made a decision and haven't announced it.
Reply/Quote
Reading this board is becoming more and more depressing by the day. It’s similar to trying to pick out your epitaph. You know what you want it to say, but you can’t put in the right words.
Reply/Quote
I think some are confused on a HC's job. They are not an OC or a DC, they hire an OC and a DC.

The skill set of an OC to be a head coach is their ability to run a team, not one side of the ball.

Indy hired a great offensive mind, got Luck back, but their defense improved. The job is to manage all aspects , the special, offensive and defensive side of the ball using others to get t done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 03:13 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm very worried that this means Lazor is a serious contender for HC.

I’m still trying to make a connection on how Lazor is a good candidate to be our next head coach. What exactly has Bill done here? Nothing that would make me say that he should be our coach. Why cast a far net and bring guys in if your only going to hire our current mediocre offensive coordinator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 06:48 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I’m still trying to make a connection on how Lazor is a good candidate to be our next head coach. What exactly has Bill done here? Nothing that would make me say that he should be our coach. Why cast a far net and bring guys in if your only going to hire our current mediocre offensive coordinator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you think only great coordinators can be great head coaches, then I can see your concern.

I have seen great coordinators like Dick LeBeau suck as head coaches.

Maybe Lazor can be a mediocre OC, but great HC. I think we all get way to reinvested and are fooled thinking we have the ability to pick a head coach. I applaud the FO for doing a lot of interviews, their goal is to find the right guy.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 06:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think some are confused on a HC's job. They are not an OC or a DC, they hire an OC and a DC.

The skill set of an OC to be a head coach is their ability to run a team, not one side of the ball.

Indy hired a great offensive mind, got Luck back, but their defense improved. The job is to manage all aspects , the special, offensive and defensive side of the ball using others to get t done.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 07:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If you think only great coordinators can be great head coaches, then I can see your concern.

I have seen great coordinators like Dick LeBeau suck as head coaches.

Maybe Lazor can be a mediocre OC, but great HC. I think we all get way to reinvested and are fooled thinking we have the ability to pick a head coach. I applaud the FO for doing a lot of interviews, their goal is to find the right guy.

Obviously not all great DC or OC make great head coaches but how many bad ones do you see that do either?
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't this just mean that they have asked the potential HC who he would want as his OC?
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 07:47 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Wouldn't this just mean that they have asked the potential HC who he would want as his OC?

Which is why I think it's a decision .already made from someone in house. Or, it could be they feel they assemble an attractive team and it helps get the coach they want, but I'm leaning toward the deal being done, but not announced.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 08:20 PM)Benton Wrote: Which is why I think it's a decision .already made from someone in house. Or, it could be they feel they assemble an attractive team and it helps get the coach they want, but I'm leaning toward the deal being done, but not announced.

I just don't see any way that wanting Kubiak connects the dots to Lazor. 

Wanting Kubiak means they are not fans of Lazor's offense, which makes me wonder what would make Lazor the guy they want.

We think so much of your offense that we're gonna bring a guy in with a different offense.  Congratulations, the HC job is yours.

Makes no sense.

And they just went all the way out west just for show. That makes even less sense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
My opinion:
The HC is coming from within. Joseph will be the DC.

One of the Rams assistants will be the OC.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 08:59 PM)XsandOs Wrote: My opinion:
The HC is coming from within. Joseph will be the DC.

One of the Rams assistants will be the OC.

I don't think so.  No matter how much they might want to, hiring from within is the one thing they can't afford to do.  The stadium will be just as empty if it's Lazor or Simmons as it will be if it's Hue.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 07:47 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Wouldn't this just mean that they have asked the potential HC who he would want as his OC?

That's my thinking also. Maybe the Bengals have interviewed a coach they really like and want to hire for HC and that coach has made a list of coaches he wants and if he gets them he comes here, or is he already here in house? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:05 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think so.  No matter how much they might want to, hiring from within is the one thing they can't afford to do.  The stadium will be just as empty if it's Lazor or Simmons as it will be if it's Hue.

While not my first choices, I would certainly give Simmons or Lazor the chance. For all we know they could be HOF HCs.....
Reply/Quote
Jumping the gun. The Bengals aren’t hiring Bill Lazor. Just stop.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: While not my first choices, I would certainly give Simmons or Lazor the chance. For all we know they could be HOF HCs.....

That might be true but this is not their time or place.  This is all about scoping out the lay of the land, and this is one time the customers have a voice.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:05 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think so.  No matter how much they might want to, hiring from within is the one thing they can't afford to do.  The stadium will be just as empty if it's Lazor or Simmons as it will be if it's Hue.

I agree with your thoughts related to fan base reaction.

But the fact that other than Lewis, none of the staff have been let go, leads me to believe that there will not be a wholesale change.

As it stands currently, the staff is lacking a HC and an DC.

The Kubiak news and Rams assistants interviews, leads me to believe that Jackson will be the HC.

Could be Joseph, but I think he will be the DC.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:16 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I agree with your thoughts related to fan base reaction.

But the fact that other than Lewis, none of the staff have been let go, leads me to believe that there will not be a wholesale change.

As it stands currently, the staff is lacking a HC and an DC.

The Kubiak news and Rams assistants interviews, leads me to believe that Jackson will be the HC.

Could be Joseph, but I think he will be the DC.
I just don't see how one leads to the other.  Maybe they just want Kubiak to be the OC and it's as simple as that.  And they are interviewing those Rams coaches for the HC opening.

And sorry, I just don't see the Bengals going through a giant, expensive charade of jetting around the country, pretending to interview people.

As to the assistants, they are all under contract, so why let them go until you find out who the next HC is?  For every one of your suppositions, I've got one to match.

It might possibly be Lazor or Simmons, much as I hope not.  The one guy it will not be is Poison Hue. Mike saw the reason why not right on his own field. This is what his former players think of him.

Reply/Quote
First time poster... I hope its Bienemy but im starting to think its Joseph.  He had ties to Kubiak.  SB Nation cardinals site have coaching rumors where they think its between Joseph or Bienemy.  Who knows, lots of speculation.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2019/1/6/18171020/2019-nfl-head-coaching-rumors-and-updates-mike-mccarthy-matt-rhule-adam-gase-kliff-kingsbury  
Reply/Quote