Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals went after Kubiak
(01-06-2019, 03:28 PM)Big Boss Wrote: If they are actively pursuing OC candidates, it stands to reason that they are expecting a vacancy.  That means one of two things

1. Lazor is going to be fired.
2. Lazor is going to be promoted.

Lazor would be the second worst choice behind Hue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 08:59 PM)XsandOs Wrote: My opinion:
The HC is coming from within. Joseph will be the DC.

One of the Rams assistants will be the OC.

Then the nightmare continues....another lazy, cheap, familiar decision by this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:08 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: That's my thinking also. Maybe the Bengals have interviewed a coach they really like and want to hire for HC and that coach has made a list of coaches he wants and if he gets them he comes here, or is he already here in house? Ninja

Yeah I was thinking that they have already interview Bienemy and according to reports interviewed Joseph for 2 days, Maybe one of them mentioned wanting Kudiak on staff.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are not going to hire a Head Coach that is already part of the coaching staff, it would destroy the already pissed off fan base and the Bengals will suffer greatly.

Unless the Bengals plan on moving once the lease is up, Lazor, Jackson and Simmons will not be the Head Coach.

Now if the Bengals do hire one of those three, Cincinnati will not have an NFL team in 2027 and I don't care how much Mike or Katie talk about trying to get a deal done...it's just smoke.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 10:17 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The Bengals are not going to hire a Head Coach that is already part of the coaching staff, it would destroy the already pissed off fan base and the Bengals will suffer greatly.

Unless the Bengals plan on moving once the lease is up, Lazor, Jackson and Simmons will not be the Head Coach.

Now if the Bengals do hire one of those three, Cincinnati will not have an NFL team in 2027 and I don't care how much Mike or Katie talk about trying to get a deal done...it's just smoke.

There are 9, 1 year options, I don't know how many times I have to write it...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 10:18 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: There are 9, 1 year options, I don't know how many times I have to write it...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/16/would-bengals-actually-leave-cincinnati-your-questions-nfl-relocation-answered/869938001/

Read number 3. 

After 2026, the lease is up and the team has the option to extend the lease for two years until 2036.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 08:33 PM)McC Wrote: I just don't see any way that wanting Kubiak connects the dots to Lazor. 

Wanting Kubiak means they are not fans of Lazor's offense, which makes me wonder what would make Lazor the guy they want.

We think so much of your offense that we're gonna bring a guy in with a different offense.  Congratulations, the HC job is yours.

Makes no sense.

And they just went all the way out west just for show.  That makes even less sense.

Wanting kubiak doesn't mean they aren't fans of lazor. It means they know they need a oc. Which means:

1- they plan on hiring someone who doesn't want lazor (but that almost certainly means it's in house as they wouldn't look for a replacement oc without the hc in waiting a sure thing)
2- they plan on promoting lazor
3- they want to dump lazor but go ahead with their own pick for a new oc.

And as far as going out west, why? Meeting with other coaches to make sure you're making the right decision makes total sense. Almost every time I hired someone, I knew who I was hiring before I made an offer. But I always interviewed every candidate. Due dilligence.

Plus it keeps the fans from getting upset that you didn't even look beyond a couple guys already in the building.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like we're hiring in house possibly bill lazor.. please excuse my language, but, ****. I won't buy tickets unless we bring in a brand new face who shows emotion and wants to win.

Zac Taylor
Kris Richards
Eric Bienemy
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 11:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Wanting kubiak doesn't mean they aren't fans of lazor. It means they know they need a oc. Which means:

1- they plan on hiring someone who doesn't want lazor (but that almost certainly means it's in house as they wouldn't look for a replacement oc without the hc in waiting a sure thing)
2- they plan on promoting lazor
3- they want to dump lazor but go ahead with their own pick for a new oc.

And as far as going out west, why? Meeting with other coaches to make sure you're making the right decision makes total sense. Almost every time I hired someone, I knew who I was hiring before I made an offer. But I always interviewed every candidate. Due dilligence.

Plus it keeps the fans from getting upset that you didn't even look beyond a couple guys already in the building.

No disrespect, but I highly doubt you wasted company funds flying cross country for a dog and pony show interview.

If they hire in house, the fans will be upset, anyways.  In fact, they will be even more upset that their hopes were built up with names like Bienemy and it was all just BS.  
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:25 PM)McC Wrote: I just don't see how one leads to the other.  Maybe they just want Kubiak to be the OC and it's as simple as that.  And they are interviewing those Rams coaches for the HC opening.

And sorry, I just don't see the Bengals going through a giant, expensive charade of jetting around the country, pretending to interview people.

As to the assistants, they are all under contract, so why let them go until you find out who the next HC is?  For every one of your suppositions, I've got one to match.

It might possibly be Lazor or Simmons, much as I hope not.  The one guy it will not be is Poison Hue. Mike saw the reason why not right on his own field. This is what his former players think of him.

I suppose at this point it's all conjecture. There are personnel on the staff who are salvageable.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 10:17 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The Bengals are not going to hire a Head Coach that is already part of the coaching staff, it would destroy the already pissed off fan base and the Bengals will suffer greatly.

That's how I see it.  Hiring internally is a shitty way of changing culture and trying to make the team into a winner.  However, it's a great way to make sure fan interest continues to wane if ownership wants an excuse to leave town when the lease is up and they get an offer.  

The Brown family have proven over the years that they are plenty capable of running a terrible team out there for years on end without shame.  I doubt the did it on purpose, but even if they didn't, imagine how good they'd be at it if they tried.  

This team will not only be terrible if they hire internally, they will be a national laughing stock.  Nobody will give two shits about this team with a wet blanket hire like Bill Loser. 

He has a ready-made nickname if this happens.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 11:29 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I suppose at this point it's all conjecture. There are personnel on the staff who are salvageable.

I totally agree.   Just don't make any of them the boss.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Mike Brown should only give yearly contracts until we go to the playoffs, then and only then, extend it to whichever HC achieves that.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 11:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: No disrespect, but I highly doubt you wasted company funds flying cross country for a dog and pony show interview.

If they hire in house, the fans will be upset, anyways.  In fact, they will be even more upset that their hopes were built up with names like Bienemy and it was all just BS.  

No disrespect taken.  ThumbsUp

But I don't see it as a dog and pony show. It's just common sense to explore every opportunity even if you're almost certain you've made your mind up. 

You're looking at a new car and you've narrowed it down to four. You drive the first, don't like it. Drive the second, you think it's perfect. Do you sign the papers or go ahead and drive the other two just to make sure?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 12:53 AM)Benton Wrote: No disrespect taken.  ThumbsUp

But I don't see it as a dog and pony show. It's just common sense to explore every opportunity even if you're almost certain you've made your mind up. 

You're looking at a new car and you've narrowed it down to four. You drive the first, don't like it. Drive the second, you think it's perfect. Do you sign the papers or go ahead and drive the other two just to make sure?

I'd probably snap up the perfect car, considering someone else could grab it up while I'm test driving the other two.

That said, I don't think the Bengals have to worry about anyone talking to Bill Lazor. Which says something.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 10:28 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/16/would-bengals-actually-leave-cincinnati-your-questions-nfl-relocation-answered/869938001/

Read number 3. 

After 2026, the lease is up and the team has the option to extend the lease for two years until 2036.

Exaxtly lol.

Myistake; they're 2 year options, not one.

And they'll take them.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 09:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: While not my first choices, I would certainly give Simmons or Lazor the chance. For all we know they could be HOF HCs.....

Which is why for so many years teams have been looking at them as candidates. Not. 

Both would be Mikey puppets and that is the last thing this team needs. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 12:53 AM)Benton Wrote: No disrespect taken.  ThumbsUp

Probably not the best example for me.  When I buy cars, I do a ton of research and the test drive is just to make sure there's no surprises and it performs as expected.  My last three car buys, the car I bought was the only one I test drove.

When hiring employees, which mind you I'm not making the call on management positions, it depends on the job market.  When unemployment is down, you tend to jump on prospective employees faster.  When it's high, you can lay back and be more choosey.

In the Bengals case, if it were me, and I had my guy(and was able to sign them), I would do it ASAP.  With 8 openings, you need to lock your guy up before they get snatched up.  In this case, you also have the existing assistants who you need to be fair to and let them know if they have a job next year and getting a jump on filling out your staff with so many openings is a big advantage, and that stuff is dependent on having a HC in place.  

If I had already interviewed a guy I was sure I was going to hire, it doesn't really make sense to continue to line up interviews.  They requested the Monken interview after they had already talked to Lazor, Simmons, Hue, and Vance.  They have said they want to do more interviews with guys who's teams are playing this week, and they don't want to be a distraction.

I can see why they want Kubiak.  If I was hiring a coach with no experience, having a SB winning HC as their OC would be a great support tool.  He's been working in Denver's player personnel department, and that kind of experience would be very valuable here.  Perhaps they're trying to get ahead of the coordinator hiring frenzy that's to come.  I would guess Kubiak would have also had an Assistant Head Coach title, as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 02:05 AM)Whatever Wrote: Probably not the best example for me.  When I buy cars, I do a ton of research and the test drive is just to make sure there's no surprises and it performs as expected.  My last three car buys, the car I bought was the only one I test drove.

When hiring employees, which mind you I'm not making the call on management positions, it depends on the job market.  When unemployment is down, you tend to jump on prospective employees faster.  When it's high, you can lay back and be more choosey.

In the Bengals case, if it were me, and I had my guy(and was able to sign them), I would do it ASAP.  With 8 openings, you need to lock your guy up before they get snatched up.  In this case, you also have the existing assistants who you need to be fair to and let them know if they have a job next year and getting a jump on filling out your staff with so many openings is a big advantage, and that stuff is dependent on having a HC in place.  

If I had already interviewed a guy I was sure I was going to hire, it doesn't really make sense to continue to line up interviews.  They requested the Monken interview after they had already talked to Lazor, Simmons, Hue, and Vance.  They have said they want to do more interviews with guys who's teams are playing this week, and they don't want to be a distraction.

I can see why they want Kubiak.  If I was hiring a coach with no experience, having a SB winning HC as their OC would be a great support tool.  He's been working in Denver's player personnel department, and that kind of experience would be very valuable here.  Perhaps they're trying to get ahead of the coordinator hiring frenzy that's to come.  I would guess Kubiak would have also had an Assistant Head Coach title, as well.

As far as the hiring, as I said, I almost always knew who I was hiring before hand. If the person is the right person,they'll be there. on the interviews, sure, it does make sense. Especially if there's any committee to the process. As I said, knowing you're likely to go with a guy doesn't mean you should strike the rest of your list. What if you offer it to him and he turns you down? Or you get into negotations and can't reach an agreement.  Its just basic business to interview every candidate even if it's likely to be done.

And as far as filling out the staff, I agree with you, typically those hirings come after havinga hc in place... Which is what gives credence to the thought that the coach is likely on staff already.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2019, 06:48 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I’m still trying to make a connection on how Lazor is a good candidate to be our next head coach. What exactly has Bill done here? Nothing that would make me say that he should be our coach. Why cast a far net and bring guys in if your only going to hire our current mediocre offensive coordinator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also why didn't Mike just fire Marvin when the skids fell off 3/4 into the season and promote Lazor. I've got a horrible feeling, but to be fair it's never a good feeling about this team anyway so...yeeea
Reply/Quote