Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness
(06-30-2023, 11:26 PM)samhain Wrote: Free labor is free labor.  Plus the threat of "incarceration" illustrates the reality of student loans: it's the only form of debt that you can not escape via bankruptcy.  You don't pay, you get put in a cage for a decision you made when you were barely an adult.  Give them the chance to volunteer for the cage.  

That'll sure make you laugh but I was actually paid to get my diploma.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 02:35 PM)treee Wrote: At least it's helping regular people. I'm assuming you're just as concerned with the massive tax cuts for the oligarchs that is the GOPs calling card everytime they hold all 3 branches?

Even as a conservative voter, I was hoping that the Student Loan Forgiveness would materialize.  Why?  Because in part I feel like higher education has become too big of a cash scam in the US, and in other part because I feel like people with income not dedicated to educational debt repayment are more able to contribute to the economy in positive ways.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 02:35 PM)treee Wrote: At least it's helping regular people. I'm assuming you're just as concerned with the massive tax cuts for the oligarchs that is the GOPs calling card everytime they hold all 3 branches?

Indeed I am.  I'm not in favor of subsidizing anyone who can fend for themselves.  But I can also recognize a blatant attempt to buy votes, just like I did with W's $300 bribe in 2,000.
Reply/Quote
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Worker: I can't live on $7.25/hr<br><br>GOP: So go to college<br><br>W: I can't afford $100K tuition<br><br>GOP: Take out loans<br><br>W: I can't afford to pay these at 8% interest<br><br>GOP: No one forced you to go to college<br><br>W: But you just said—<br><br>Billionaire: I NEED MORE MONEY!<br><br>GOP: Here's a $2T Tax Cut</p>&mdash; Qasim Rashid, Esq. (@QasimRashid) <a href="https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1675296171978379267?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2023</a></blockquote> 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Worker: I can't live on $7.25/hr<br><br>GOP: So go to college<br><br>W: I can't afford $100K tuition<br><br>GOP: Take out loans<br><br>W: I can't afford to pay these at 8% interest<br><br>GOP: No one forced you to go to college<br><br>W: But you just said—<br><br>Billionaire: I NEED MORE MONEY!<br><br>GOP: Here's a $2T Tax Cut</p>&mdash; Qasim Rashid, Esq. (@QasimRashid) <a href="https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1675296171978379267?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2023</a></blockquote> 

One does not need to go into debt to attain the skills to land a job that pays significantly better than minimum wage.  Most Community Colleges tuition is pretty much covered by the Pell Grant, and books can be had for a bargain on the second hand market.  Then, if your career takes you to a point where you need a bachelor's degree or higher in order to advance, many companies will cover the cost of such.

The problem seems to be that the messaging for a long time was "You need a four year degree in order to compete in society", which was both true and false at the same time.   When I attended High School guidance counselors seemed to be getting a kickback from universities for getting students committed, (likely not provable, but how it appears in retrospect) when in reality many good paying jobs only required some trade schooling or an Associates Degree that could be attained for a very low cost compared to the four year institution price.

That in part is why I was sincerely hoping that Student Loan Forgiveness would have went through, as millions of people from my generation were led to believe that a four year degree was the only way to go, and "take the loans, you'll make more than enough to pay them back" was the response when questioned about cost implications. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
i grew up working on my fathers farm. when he got to old i took it over and kept workin it. when he died i owned the farm an made it even bigger and better producing. no one gave me anything. i dint get no free money or govt assistence. i worked hard every single day even thru tough times or slow times. never reached out my hand and said give me free stuff or take care of my responsibilites. folks now days want things give to them and be taken care of the first sign of hardship. how about gettin a job. maybe two jobs. sale things if you have to. you do whatever if takes to keep going and if you do youll make it in time. and itll be cause you worked hard and did it yourself.

so tired of hearing the likes of fast food workers and jobs like that complaing theydont make enough to make a living. reality check here. those kinda jobs aint meant to make a living. there starter jobs temp job. not jobs you stay at forever. there jobs you get starting out young and then you work your way up in life. you dont just stay at a bottom level job and demand to be paid like folks working better jobs. just craziness
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 09:24 PM)Leon Wrote: i grew up working on my fathers farm. when he got to old i took it over and kept workin it. when he died i owned the farm an made it even bigger and better producing. no one gave me anything. i dint get no free money or govt assistence. i worked hard every single day even thru tough times or slow times. never reached out my hand and said give me free stuff or take care of my responsibilites. folks now days want things give to them and be taken care of the first sign of hardship. how about gettin a job. maybe two jobs. sale things if you have to. you do whatever if takes to keep going and if you do youll make it in time. and itll be cause you worked hard and did it yourself.

so tired of hearing the likes of fast food workers and jobs like that complaing theydont make enough to make a living. reality check here. those kinda jobs aint meant to make a living. there starter jobs temp job. not jobs you stay at forever. there jobs you get starting out young and then you work your way up in life. you dont just stay at a bottom level job and demand to be paid like folks working better jobs. just craziness

You are correct, some jobs are not designed to support a family. But even the fast food jobs can turn into very good money if you bust your rear end and learn some management skills that are taught by these fast food and other companies.

I started at minimum wage, then management, then corporate and then owner of the business. It did not happen overnight. It was not glamorous, but work ethic and a can do attitude can take you up the ladder.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 09:24 PM)Leon Wrote: i grew up working on my fathers farm. when he got to old i took it over and kept workin it. when he died i owned the farm an made it even bigger and better producing. no one gave me anything. i dint get no free money or govt assistence. i worked hard every single day even thru tough times or slow times. never reached out my hand and said give me free stuff or take care of my responsibilites. folks now days want things give to them and be taken care of the first sign of hardship. how about gettin a job. maybe two jobs. sale things if you have to. you do whatever if takes to keep going and if you do youll make it in time. and itll be cause you worked hard and did it yourself.

You were given a paid-for working farm which I presume included equipment, livestock, and maybe even a customer base for your crops.  You didn't build that from the bottom up...your father and perhaps his father before him built that business.  There are generations of Americans who never even had a chance at that advantage.

I'm not saying you don't work hard but don't act like you did it all by yourself because you didn't.

And because those at the bottom of the pay scale aren't paid enough neither are those above entry level. A single person should be able to live on the wages of a 40 hour a week job

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 10:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You are correct, some jobs are designed to support a family. But even the fast food jobs can turn into very good money if you bust your rear end and learn some management skills that are taught by these fast food and other companies.

I started at minimum wage, then management, then corporate and then owner of the business. It did not happen overnight. It was not glamorous, but work ethic and a can do attitude can take you up the ladder.

yessir. its one thing if you plan on your working your way up fast food and be mgmt and maybe more. but to expect 15-18 a hour for flipping burgers or cooking fries. no. like you said work ethic and attitude is key
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 10:51 PM)pally Wrote: You were given a paid-for working farm which I presume included equipment, livestock, and maybe even a customer base for your crops.  You didn't build that from the bottom up...your father and perhaps his father before him built that business.  There are generations of Americans who never even had a chance at that advantage.

I'm not saying you don't work hard but don't act like you did it all by yourself because you didn't

yes it was my fathers farm, the farm has been in our family for over 120 years. do you think that just happend by itself. that 120 years and all the equipment and livestock and customers came from tons and tons of hard work. no handouts. no freebies. lots of struggles. lots of challenge. but we did it our self.

and no i dindt have it gived to me. ive been working the farm since i was about 8 years old. thats over 50 years. ive broken my back and wore my body down making this farm even better than is was when i finally took over. an now that i am slowing down cause of heath, my son is taking over more and more and one day he will own it. and he has worked his rear end off to. NOTHING was handed to us. ok?
Reply/Quote
Your family was afforded an opportunity 120 years ago that was denied to millions of African Americans, women, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans and that was to obtain land thus setting up your family for generations. You worked hard but imagine if you had to build up that farm from scratch instead of inheriting a fully functioning business.

Yeah, pat yourself on the back for working hard but thank your ancestors for being the right sex and color to be allowed to obtain the land in the first place

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 11:21 PM)pally Wrote: Your family was afforded an opportunity 120 years ago that was denied to millions of African Americans, women, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans and that was to obtain land thus setting up your family for generations.  You worked hard but imagine if you had to build up that farm from scratch instead of inheriting a fully functioning business.

Yeah, pat yourself on the back for working hard but thank your ancestors for being the right sex and color to be allowed to obtain the land in the first place

wow. only you could turn a succeful family farm for over a century into a racist and sexist thing. should my family feel guilty that we worked hard? we didnt deny noone anything. we just worked our land. that hard work has lots of women to thanks thats worked just as hard, includinding my daughter in law kanisha who is also black btw, so i dont know why you bring women up. plus weve employed blacks an mexicans over the years and gave them good paying honest work, and plenty of jobs to white folks to.

so what exactly was given to me other than carrying on hard work and making sure other folks had work.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 03:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Indeed I am.  I'm not in favor of subsidizing anyone who can fend for themselves.  But I can also recognize a blatant attempt to buy votes, just like I did with W's $300 bribe in 2004.

[Image: 41O2D00Z.jpg?width=320&height=320&fit=bounds]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 11:47 PM)Leon Wrote: wow. only you could turn a succeful family farm for over a century into a racist and sexist thing. should my family feel guilty that we worked hard? we didnt deny noone anything. we just worked our land. that hard work has lots of women to thanks thats worked just as hard, includinding my daughter in law kanisha who is also black btw, so i dont know why you bring women up. plus weve employed blacks an mexicans over the years and gave them good paying honest work, and plenty of jobs to white folks to.

so what exactly was given to me other than carrying on hard work and making sure other folks had work.

Your family was GIVEN an advantage over every other non white, male led family and that was the ability to obtain your land in the first place at a time when most of them were locked out. Your family had access to loans and other sources of cash they didn’t.

Because of this one tiny advantage, and yes hard work, your family was able to be supported in relative comfort for 120 years.
A 100+ year head start will almost never be made up by hard work alone.

None are so blind as those who refuse to see

Reply/Quote
I don't get the juggle between people claiming how strong they loudly love Jesus and the fact that they cherish every political stand that hurt people.

I really don't.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2023, 09:27 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Biden administration has already responded by creating the SAVE Plan. I’m a fan of what is in this bill. Some of it was included in the debt forgiveness plan. The aim is to ease pressure on borrowers and the payments they are having to make.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/06/30/fact-sheet-president-biden-announces-new-actions-to-provide-debt-relief-and-support-for-student-loan-borrowers/#:~:text=This%20income%2Ddriven%20repayment%20plan,balances%20grow%20from%20unpaid%20interest.

Oh sweet!   So Biden wants to ease the pressure on credit card, auto and mortgage debt also, correct?
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 09:10 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Oh sweet!   So Biden wants to ease the pressure on credit card, auto and mortgage debt also, correct?

well he is already taking on junk fees that add up the costs for all of these

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 09:17 AM)pally Wrote: well he is already taking on junk fees that add up the costs for all of these

I actually don't want him to forgive or ease any debt.  My debt was all voluntary.  That's on me, not others.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 09:10 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Oh sweet!   So Biden wants to ease the pressure on credit card, auto and mortgage debt also, correct?

I don’t know if he does or not, but that’s irrelevant. This is a beneficial step to helping people with crushing student loan debt. It’s not perfect, but it will absolutely help.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 09:27 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I actually don't want him to forgive or ease any debt.  My debt was all voluntary.  That's on me, not others.

I think that honesty up front, and not hidden in complicated fine print legalese, on ALL loans and revolving debt allows the consumer to make better decisions.

There was an awful lot of deception going on by lenders on student loans as to the actual costs of repayment and the penalties involved if payments are missed. Many student loans recipients aren't sophisticated borrowers so may not have been aware of the traps involved in the loans

Reply/Quote