Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big Whit?
I can't believe people are still talking about this. It's not happening lol. They will roll with Adeniji and call up Prince from the PS to be his backup.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 10:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I would say he is in no way ready to play, and Rams own his contract. Roll with what you got.

Plus the need to flip him to the Right Side.  ETc ETc.   would be a great story but not realistically likely
Reply/Quote
Just remember that last year Adenigi was out of position playing guard and he certainly wasn't on an island by himself surrounded by HOFers on that O-line..  So far this season he's about the only one from last season other than Williams who's seen the light of day this season.. He'll be fine as long as we don't hear his name in games..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 10:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: As cool as it would be to see Big Whit come back ThumbsUp I have to agree. Whit's no spring chicken and has been sitting in a chair for a minute. I'm not sure he could just "turn it back on" ?

(12-25-2022, 10:35 PM)samhain Wrote: Hard to say if he's even in football shape.  A lot of those guys lose a lot of weight for health reasons when they no longer need the bulk.

I agree with both of these responses.  I'll just say that sure, it's fun to romanticize about Big Whit returning to his original team and leading them to Super Bowl glory, I believe that it is a pipe dream for several reasons.

1.  The contract with the Rams

2.  I haven't read or heard anything from Whitworth actually saying he wants to do it. (just seems like yet another example of a writer attempting to make news where there is none)

3.  Old/out of shape. (he's not going to just practice a couple of weeks and be in peak professional condition)

4. Not even his position (the guy spent his entire professional lifetime perfecting a specific pattern of movements, you think he can master the exact opposite pattern of moves in just a few weeks??) 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 11:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with both of these responses.  I'll just say that sure, it's fun to romanticize about Big Whit returning to his original team and leading them to Super Bowl glory, I believe that it is a pipe dream for several reasons.

2.  I haven't read or heard anything from Whitworth actually saying he wants to do it. (just seems like yet another example of a writer attempting to make news where there is none)

3.  Old/out of shape. (he's not going to just practice a couple of weeks and be in peak professional condition)

4. Not even his position (the guy spent his entire professional lifetime perfecting a specific pattern of movements, you think he can master the exact opposite pattern of moves in just a few weeks??) 

He did say on the pardon my take podcast he'd consider it, this was just before the Collins injury. But with the contract and trade deadline I don't think it is possible. Vets are subject to waiver wire after trade deadline and others would claim him first. 
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 11:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with both of these responses.  I'll just say that sure, it's fun to romanticize about Big Whit returning to his original team and leading them to Super Bowl glory, I believe that it is a pipe dream for several reasons.

That's issue #1

Forget the money, contracts, waiver wire, blah, blah. Does Big Whit even want to come back? He's 41 years old and I'm sure his body is feeling years of NFL play.

Does he really want to risk a blown out knee for what I'd guess would not be a life changing amount of $$$$$

My guess would be he'd say thanks but no thanks.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 11:49 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's issue #1

Forget the money, contracts, waiver wire, blah, blah. Does Big Whit even want to come back? He's 41 years old and I'm sure his body is feeling years of NFL play.

Does he really want to risk a blown out knee for what I'd guess would not be a life changing amount of $$$$$

My guess would be he'd say thanks but no thanks.

Yep, the man is financially set for life, and he retired as a World Champion.  I'd say that he likely has already started reducing his body mass for his general health and well being, and probably wants to stay healthy enough to enjoy time with family and his hobbies like hunting and fishing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2022, 01:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: From what I read, he's an unrestricted free agent in the NFL. So it's just a matter of signing him.

Isn't he a LT? Collins is a RT.

Where did you read he is an unrestricted free agent?

Reply/Quote
Schrags keeps stirring the pot. LOL

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 10:35 AM)grampahol Wrote: Just remember that last year Adenigi was out of position playing guard and he certainly wasn't on an island by himself surrounded by HOFers on that O-line..  So far this season he's about the only one from last season other than Williams who's seen the light of day this season.. He'll be fine as long as we don't hear his name in games..

Locked on Bengals podcast said that he played horribly when he came in even though he didn’t give up a sack

Apparently Burrow was just getting the ball out very fast, but they credited him with giving up 8 pressures which is ALOT
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Rams contract point is useless to me. McVay would not be a dick to Zac with them eliminated from the playoffs.

Point 2 is valid. I highly doubt he wants to come in and play

Point 3 he’s not in game shape for sure but he’d have maybe a month to get to a good spot and as a pro athlete i have faith a month of prep would have him ready to play

4 is valid too. Him or Jonah would have to switch and idk who you’d switch
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 05:52 PM)Housh Wrote: Rams contract point is useless to me. McVay would not be a dick to Zac with them eliminated from the playoffs.

McVay doesn't own the rams, so not his call.
Reply/Quote
Just listened to a podcast with Whit and Schrager:

Would need to speak to his family & knock off some rust.

Contract situation with Rams would need sorting.

Said Cincinnati is a special place to him and although his Twitter blows up every time an OL goes down this got him excited.

Wouldn’t rule it out and said never say never.

Pick up the god damn phone Zac.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 06:14 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Just listened to a podcast with Whit and Schrager:

Said Cincinnati is a special place to him and although his Twitter blows up every time an OL goes down this got him excited.

Again…other AFC teams are not going to let him clear waivers to get to us.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 06:14 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Just listened to a podcast with Whit and Schrager:

My uncle taught me this young, like 14 years old.

He said "If you never ask for some ass, youll never get it."

I was very shy and reserved as a kid and told him about chicks I liked and he asked if I ever asked them out. I said no, then he told me that useful nugget.

Since that day iv lived life by that moniker. If you want something youve gotta at least put your bid in because you never know who likes you back.

Maybe Whitworth likes us back? Also its a powerful negotiating point to be able to tell him your obligation is only about 1 month instead of trying to coax him outta retirement pre training camp and him having to commit for a whole year. 

i think this getting done is unlikely not because I think Whitworth wouldnt want to play here. Im sure he sees Burrow and his pants get tight daydreaming about blocking for him. I think its unrealistic because no way he could safely play a NFL game after being off all year.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 06:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again…other AFC teams are not going to let him clear waivers to get to us.

Non playoff teams would not care.

Name the playoff team that would want him. Especially if he comes out and says, hes not gonna play for anyone but Cincy?

What team has a hole at T and would he want to play for?

The waiver issue is silly to me. Whitworth has garnered enough respect around the league to where another team wouldnt even try
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 06:51 PM)Housh Wrote: Name the playoff team that would want him. Especially if he comes out and says, hes not gonna play for anyone but Cincy?

I could see Baltimore or KC putting in a claim just to be spiteful and block us from acquiring him.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 06:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: Again…other AFC teams are not going to let him clear waivers to get to us.

You have to wonder which AFC playoff team would be brave enough to make that move, then having it be used as bulletin board material / extra motivation for the Bengals if that team has to play them. I don't think there's any chance that the Whit thing happens, but hypothetically if it did, I just don't see any team blocking it with a claim. 

Again, I think that there's zero chance of this happening, only because I don't think the Bengals have any interest in going that route. They prefer the 'next man up' approach and it's been working pretty well so far.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 07:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: You have to wonder which AFC playoff team would be brave enough to make that move, then having it be used as bulletin board material / extra motivation for the Bengals if that team has to play them. I don't think there's any chance that the Whit thing happens, but hypothetically if it did, I just don't see any team blocking it with a claim. 

Again, I think that there's zero chance of this happening, only because I don't think the Bengals have any interest in going that route. They prefer the 'next man up' approach and it's been working pretty well so far.

I was gonna include its the fans pushing for this. Taylor has no history with Big Whit. If this were Marvin Lewis id pencil him in if he wanted to play.

But im not too convinced anymore that we are going to make the call, after that last Zac interview. He kinda blatantly said its next man up.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 07:11 PM)Housh Wrote: I was gonna include its the fans pushing for this. Taylor has no history with Big Whit. If this were Marvin Lewis id pencil him in if he wanted to play.

But im not too convinced anymore that we are going to make the call, after that last Zac interview. He kinda blatantly said its next man up.

They were together for 2 years in LA, so there's some history...but yeah, I don't think it's a realistic possibility, even if Whit, Schrags and the fans are having some fun with it. LOL
Reply/Quote