Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blame the run game
Backup QB (barely any experience) - check
Late November game with iffy weather - check
Going against below average Pitt rush defense - check
Rush it for 8 times (for 16 yards) - check check check.

I put this loss on Taylor and company. Browning is what he is right now. Defense was out there 37 minutes to the offense's 23 minutes, and did enough for a win. But to utilize the run game like they did is about as bad as I have seen. At this point, I am pretty much in the camp that the entire offensive coaching staff needs a big shakeup.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The offense needs to be redesigned. Brian Callahan should go and Zac should lose play calling authority. Build it around playing under center and lean into our OL's strong suit - power. Sample is more than able to be a FB type player in the offense so have him do that and run straight power with preference inside and preference left with Sample lead blocking. Mixon can start but if he does not start making the first guy miss he sits in favor of anyone else.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: The offense needs to be redesigned. Brian Callahan should go and Zac should lose play calling authority. Build it around playing under center and lean into our OL's strong suit - power. Sample is more than able to be a FB type player in the offense so have him do that and run straight power with preference inside and preference left with Sample lead blocking. Mixon can start but if he does not start making the first guy miss he sits in favor of anyone else.

Something certainly has to change. You need to be good at something beyond asking a couple players to go outplay the defense.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Backup QB (barely any experience) - check

I put this loss on Taylor and company. Browning is what he is right now. Defense was out there 37 minutes to the offense's 23 minutes, and did enough for a win. But to utilize the run game like they did is about as bad as I have seen. At this point, I am pretty much in the camp that the entire offensive coaching staff needs a big shakeup.

Starts and ends with Zac he's allergic to running the football, it's what he is nothings gonna change..Zac has absolutely no creativity in his run schemes none..get rid of pollack and bring in someone from the Shannahan tree to be a run game coordinator..
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: The offense needs to be redesigned. Brian Callahan should go and Zac should lose play calling authority. Build it around playing under center and lean into our OL's strong suit - power. Sample is more than able to be a FB type player in the offense so have him do that and run straight power with preference inside and preference left with Sample lead blocking. Mixon can start but if he does not start making the first guy miss he sits in favor of anyone else.

Doesn't matter if they run Gap or Zone they still have to get to the attack the edge of the defense in rhe run game. I actually thought they did Browning a disservice by not letting him throw the RPO wr screens.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:30 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Starts and ends with Zac he's allergic to running the football, it's what he is nothings gonna change..Zac has absolutely no creativity in his run schemes none..get rid of pollack and bring in someone from the Shannahan tree to be a run game coordinator..

Got to be the only coaching staff that doesn’t try to get better at something they are bad at. Not just in a season but over multiple seasons.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Backup QB (barely any experience) - check

Agree 

I just posted in gameday thread Mixon had only 8 carries !! WTF

I've tried hard not to be too rough on the coaching staff this season with all the "issues". But I can't hold my tongue on this fiasco. Just horrible coaching/scheme/gameplan/play calling. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree 

I just posted in gameday thread Mixon had only 8 carries !! WTF

I've tried hard not to be too rough on the coaching staff this season with all the "issues". But I can't hold my tongue on this fiasco. Just horrible coaching/scheme/gameplan/play calling. 

It’s like they did nothing to account for the slight drop off from Joe to Jake.

Reply/Quote
It doesn't help that Mixon did little to nothing with those limited carries as well. Dude took a paycut and I feel like we're still getting fleeced.
Reply/Quote
It says it all to me that you've got a week and a half to go into a divisional game... a must win to have any chance of salvaging a season...

You're doing it with a backup QB, who is quite bad by backup standards... You know the defence isn't shutdown enough to carry a game on their own...

And you run your #1 RB 8 times for 16 yards.

I appreciate you wouldn't just stick with a run game that manages 2 YPC.... but 8 attempts? That's not even trying to get the run game going. If it doesn't work then sack it off later in the game, not from the kickoff. Why are we not trying a different guy at RB either? If we have no faith Mixon will get yards... try somebody else?

We absolutely need to find better players to improve the run game... I don't believe our guys are good enough. But we had to at least TRY and get it going today, and we ran 8 plays. Atrocious planning for this game, and they had extra time to come up with this as well. What's the logic Zac?
Reply/Quote
I don’t understand the people who blame Zac for not running the ball more.

The run game is HORRENDOUS. You can’t keep attempting to run the ball when you’re running for TWO (2) yards a pop

The run game is terrible. Running it more isn’t going to help. They have to re-design the entire run game

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:56 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: It says it all to me that you've got a week and a half to go into a divisional game... a must win to have any chance of salvaging a season...

You're doing it with a backup QB, who is quite bad by backup standards... You know the defence isn't shutdown enough to carry a game on their own...

And you run your #1 RB 8 times for 16 yards.

I appreciate you wouldn't just stick with a run game that manages 2 YPC.... but 8 attempts? That's not even trying to get the run game going. If it doesn't work then sack it off later in the game, not from the kickoff. Why are we not trying a different guy at RB either? If we have no faith Mixon will get yards... try somebody else?

We absolutely need to find better players to improve the run game... I don't believe our guys are good enough. But we had to at least TRY and get it going today, and we ran 8 plays. Atrocious planning for this game, and they had extra time to come up with this as well. What's the logic Zac?

I've been saying it really since Burrow got hurt. Zac refuses to make the run game a point of emphasis. Which is one thing with a healthy Burrow. But when he's basically immobile with a calf injury or a backup QB is playing its completely unacceptable. 
Reply/Quote
So, I guess averaging two yards per carry warrants more run plays. What the heck, give it to Mixon 50 times so he can get 100 yards. With the Bengal run game I would hope they throw it 80% of the time.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:07 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I don’t understand the people who blame Zac for not running the ball more.

The run game is HORRENDOUS. You can’t keep attempting to run the ball when you’re running for TWO (2) yards a pop

The run game is terrible. Running it more isn’t going to help. They have to re-design the entire run game

I get pointing at the fact of 2 yards a carry. But it's too limited a sample and why do we refuse to try another back? No Chase Brown or Williams. Also wad Mixons 1 target the screen at the end? I just have to say with Zacs track record is our refusal to focus on the run game hurting it. Sure seems like we never want to focus on it.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It’s like they did nothing to account for the slight drop off from Joe to Jake.

They did nothing to account for Joe having very little mobility when they had a month to prepare. You really thought they would do anything to help Browning out? Lol Our coaches seem to do basically nothing to scheme easy plays, make things easier, or switch things up. 
Reply/Quote
Start with oline coach and find a edge runner, nothing was open in middle
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor comes nice and cheap.

Nice and stupid too.

One has to wonder if it's starting to sink in for Joe Burrow?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Next year they have to make the O line dominant so that they can protect Burrow and run it. The O line is not opening holes and is a mediocre unit at best. Draft OT/G with the first 2 picks.
Don’t know what happened to the D. Even without Bell and Bates they weren’t his bad earlier in the year.
Having said all that, if Browning doesn’t throw the dumb pick this might have had a different outcome. Instead of getting 3 they got nothing and gave up 7.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:22 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: So, I guess averaging two yards per carry warrants more run plays. What the heck, give it to Mixon 50 times so he can get 100 yards. With the Bengal run game I would hope they throw it 80% of the time.

I was going to say, Mixon has been pretty ineffective outside of putting up needlessly gaudy Tecmo Bo numbers against the Panthers last year.
Reply/Quote
All the $$ we invested in line and they can't block man on man, get rid of Pollack adds a RB pretty simple start
Reply/Quote