Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bodine Gone
(03-20-2018, 08:04 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: We were also happy when Kyle Cook was gone and Ghiauciuc (?) was gone and it led to...Bodine.

(03-20-2018, 08:06 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And yet Paul Alexander lasted so long through it all...

Maybe that whole time we were treating the symptom when we should have been treating the disease.

Kyle Cook was an undrafted free agent and Alexander turned him into a good starting Center.  A coach should get praise for that instead of insults.
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Blodine and Piano Man gone in the same offseason?

[Image: giphy-15.gif]
[Image: james+brown+church+gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:06 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And yet Paul Alexander lasted so long through it all...

Maybe that whole time we were treating the symptom when we should have been treating the disease.

(03-20-2018, 08:26 AM)Takedown Wrote: Couldn't have said it better.

I'm in no way a defender of PA, but this statement holds 0 water; Willie turned out just fine, the entire Jurassic line was tops at every position, Kooistra was a more-than solid backup at 4 oline positions and the last major success was with Whitworth; almost all of them were drafted and/or developed by PA (like Braham, who was basically a Bengal lifer).

As umpteen amounts of people have said, it makes sense that the new rules (with the CBA) and the evolution of the game, just passed PA by and his schemes/plays just aren't up to snuff anymore, hence why the guys I mentioned above were so successful and we saw less continuity in ability, as time has gone on.

Plus, his man-love with players was ridiculous.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:55 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm in no way a defender of PA, but this statement holds 0 water; Willie turned out just fine, the entire Jurassic line was tops at every position, Kooistra was a more-than solid backup at 4 oline positions and the last major success was with Whitworth; almost all of them were drafted and/or developed by PA (like Braham, who was basically a Bengal lifer).

As umpteen amounts of people have said, it makes sense that the new rules (with the CBA) and the evolution of the game, just passed PA by and his schemes/plays just aren't up to snuff anymore, hence why the guys I mentioned above were so successful and we saw less continuity in ability, as time has gone on.

Plus, his man-love with players was ridiculous.

I agree with this.  However, a lot of those cats were pro ready, early round talents.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So...The Bengals were saved from themselves from the player that they inexplicably wanted to keep.

...Maybe we're overselling the "new look" Bengals after all...

It sounds like it was a prove it deal. I coulda been on board with that, keeping him as a backup and drafting a center.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:49 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So...The Bengals were saved from themselves from the player that they inexplicably wanted to keep.

...Maybe we're overselling the "new look" Bengals after all...

Is it any surprising, though? This is the same front office that thought Merv was the best choice out of the availalbe candidates because we at least know what we have in him.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: It sounds like it was a prove it deal. I coulda been on board with that, keeping him as a backup and drafting a center.

Bodine was an overgrown turnstile for this team for four years. There wasn't much left for him to prove.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:20 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Bodine was an overgrown turnstile for this team for four years. There wasn't much left for him to prove.

I don't think 'turnstile' is the right term for Bodine. It's not like he was letting guys past him. He was just being pushed back into the QB. Basically, you could replace Bodine with a tackling dummy and that dummy would have been just as effective as Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 09:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kyle Cook was an undrafted free agent and Alexander turned him into a good starting Center.  A coach should get praise for that instead of insults.

Before he was hurt I think Cook was better than Bodine

Not a high bar however
Reply/Quote
I expect that Bodine is a great young man who works hard. I hope he has success at Buffalo.

I am thrilled the Bengals will have a new center.

Our o line coach picked maybe the best center in the league in the first round.

Maybe he gets his choice this year at 21, which would be awesome.

I am so glad Bodine is gone.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:20 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Bodine was an overgrown turnstile for this team for four years. There wasn't much left for him to prove.

I don't think it's any secret I'm glad he's gone. Wink

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:33 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I expect that Bodine is a great young man who works hard. I hope he has success at Buffalo.

I am thrilled the Bengals will have a new center.

Our o line coach picked maybe the best center in the league in the first round.

Maybe he gets his choice this year at 21, which would be awesome.

I am so glad Bodine is gone.

I heard on local Cincinnati Sports Talk Radio that Dave Lapham is talking up Ohio State's Billy Price.

Last night on 700 WLW and I am pretty sure it was host Lance Mcalister that said it.

Lapham has been accurately predicting the position the Bengals will be taking in round 1 the last few drafts.

Billy Price can play Center or Guard making him versatile with Center his likely spot.

He may be the pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:49 AM)depthchart Wrote: I heard on local Cincinnati Sports Talk Radio that Dave Lapham is talking up Ohio State's Billy Price.

Last night on 700 WLW and I am pretty sure it was host Lance Mcalister that said it.

Lapham has been accurately predicting the position the Bengals will be taking in round 1 the last few drafts.

Billy Price can play Center or Guard making him versatile with Center his likely spot.

He may be the pick.

Personally, I'd love that.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:31 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Before he was hurt I think Cook was better than Bodine

Not a high bar however

Cook was light years better than Ghiacuc though. Took Marvin and Co. way too long to realize the obvious 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:49 AM)depthchart Wrote: I heard on local Cincinnati Sports Talk Radio that Dave Lapham is talking up Ohio State's Billy Price.

He may be the pick.

Well now that would just be wonderful Pray
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:30 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't think 'turnstile' is the right term for Bodine. It's not like he was letting guys past him. He was just being pushed back into the QB. Basically, you could replace Bodine with a tackling dummy and that dummy would have been just as effective as Bodine.

True... Great point. Amazing that a man with Bodines size and strength got tossed around like a build-a-bear so often. Bench press be damned, this is why you never skip leg day folks. 
Reply/Quote

He may be the pick.

Have said it before and will say it again. 

Why tell anybody who you really want ? If anybody covets him they can move in front of you and take him and leave you holding the bag. 

Just do not get it and if I were running it.  Would throw out misdirection and lots of it in every direction. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 10:30 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't think 'turnstile' is the right term for Bodine. It's not like he was letting guys past him. He was just being pushed back into the QB. Basically, you could replace Bodine with a tackling dummy and that dummy would have been just as effective as Bodine.

Yep

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote