Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boling retires
(07-15-2019, 10:40 PM)samhain Wrote: Who has yet to play a down in the NFL.  Nobody knows if he's any good or not.  People thought we drafted a couple of good OTs in the first two rounds back in 2015.  Porter, Moch, Dawson, Jefferson, etc all 3rd round linebackers, 4th in Porter's case that were supposed to be good.

My opinion that he will be good is just as valid as your opinion that he will suck.

Carl Lawson was a 4th round LB that led all rookies in sacks.  I am sure you have tried to erase that from your memory, but it did happen.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 11:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You know if Incognito were a free agent that the Bengals would atleast strongly consider signing him.

I don't think so.  I think the new coaching staff is going for high character types.  Maybe under Lewis, yes.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Interesting take from Doc...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2019/07/16/tml-reds-cubs-nl-central-standings-clint-boling-bengals-ol-uc-fb/1742992001/

THE COLUMN TODAY was on Bengals guard Clint Boling, who retired Monday after 8 rock-solid seasons here. I praised his Everyman craftsmanship and his ability to play hurt. Boling was an unsung component of MLewis’ playoff teams. He’s just 30, isn’t disabled, seems to have a clear head and made millions of dollars. Good for him.

Then I thought more about it.

He saw docs for leg pain a couple days after the season. They discovered a pulmonary embolism in one of his lungs a few days after that. Boling did his health homework and decided to retire for the sake of his family. All well and good.

Why did it take him from January to now to make that call?

Nothing changed for him physically. A lengthy bit of agonizing was expected. Seven months?

He went to minicamp, he had a year left on a five-year, $26 mil deal. He said how excited he was to learn a new system. And then he retired.

I’d never question Boling’s reasoning. It’s completely logical. Logic doesn’t always rule in pro sports. It shares a seat with emotion. Boling started every game the last two years. He has escaped serious injury, he’s just 30. No doc told him he couldn’t play this year.

With Jonah Williams out for the season, Boling would have been vital to this O-line, if only for his supreme professionalism. To retire 10 days before camp starts strikes me as odd.

I should have asked Boling this:

Was there anything you didn’t like about the new O-line coach? Anything that caused you to wonder if playing for Jim Turner would be worth the effort? Turner is a former Marine, who coaches like one. His methods have been questioned in the past. He’s never questioned himself. Being profanely berated might be OK for a rookie. For a guy in his 9th year?

Regardless, Boling’s exit this close to camp leaves the team in a lurch. And I’m thinking a fast start for this new, inexperienced staff might be close to mandatory, to keep the veterans on board.

I said in This Space when Zac Taylor was hired that he needed to bring in some assistants who were veterans at their jobs. Shoulders Taylor could lean on. For whatever reason, he didn’t. And the Bengals are not the Rams. They would not and did not go heavily into the free-agent market. Is this roster any better than it was last July? Only if everyone stays healthy, and that simply doesn’t happen in the NFL. The O-line surely won’t be better.

And now a rock of the line has retired, healthy and just 30 years old.

What say you, Mobsters?
Reply/Quote
Best of Luck to Boling in his new career of being a dad.

On a side note. My mock draft is looking much better now. Many were accusing me of over-drafting on Offensive Linemen... lol
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2019, 10:40 PM)samhain Wrote: Who has yet to play a down in the NFL.  Nobody knows if he's any good or not.  People thought we drafted a couple of good OTs in the first two rounds back in 2015.  Porter, Moch, Dawson, Jefferson, etc all 3rd round linebackers, 4th in Porter's case that were supposed to be good.

just cause they haven't played yet don't mean they aren't good enough...

Just cause they are names we know doesn't mean they can still go either.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 02:02 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't think so.  I think the new coaching staff is going for high character types.  Maybe under Lewis, yes.  

We already have Turner and one of the other bully gate guys, though.  I can see saying Incognito is too much of a nut to bring in, but we already have some d-bag vibes going. 

Also odd that we say Marvin is more likely to bring in guys with questionable character when that was pretty much the first thing ZT did
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 05:51 PM)kdgjr Wrote: Interesting take from Doc...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2019/07/16/tml-reds-cubs-nl-central-standings-clint-boling-bengals-ol-uc-fb/1742992001/

THE COLUMN TODAY was on Bengals guard Clint Boling, who retired Monday after 8 rock-solid seasons here. I praised his Everyman craftsmanship and his ability to play hurt. Boling was an unsung component of MLewis’ playoff teams. He’s just 30, isn’t disabled, seems to have a clear head and made millions of dollars. Good for him.

He saw docs for leg pain a couple days after the season. They discovered a pulmonary embolism in one of his lungs a few days after that. Boling did his health homework and decided to retire for the sake of his family. All well and good.

Nothing changed for him physically. A lengthy bit of agonizing was expected. Seven months?

He went to minicamp, he had a year left on a five-year, $26 mil deal. He said how excited he was to learn a new system. And then he retired.

I’d never question Boling’s reasoning. It’s completely logical. Logic doesn’t always rule in pro sports. It shares a seat with emotion. Boling started every game the last two years. He has escaped serious injury, he’s just 30. No doc told him he couldn’t play this year.

With Jonah Williams out for the season, Boling would have been vital to this O-line, if only for his supreme professionalism. To retire 10 days before camp starts strikes me as odd.

Was there anything you didn’t like about the new O-line coach? Anything that caused you to wonder if playing for Jim Turner would be worth the effort? Turner is a former Marine, who coaches like one. His methods have been questioned in the past. He’s never questioned himself. Being profanely berated might be OK for a rookie. For a guy in his 9th year?          

Regardless, Boling’s exit this close to camp leaves the team in a lurch. And I’m thinking a fast start for this new, inexperienced staff might be close to mandatory, to keep the veterans on board.

I said in This Space when Zac Taylor was hired that he needed to bring in some assistants who were veterans at their jobs. Shoulders Taylor could lean on. For whatever reason, he didn’t. And the Bengals are not the Rams. They would not and did not go heavily into the free-agent market. Is this roster any better than it was last July? Only if everyone stays healthy, and that simply doesn’t happen in the NFL. The O-line surely won’t be better.

What say you, Mobsters?
Have to believe that the FO knew what that he was contemplating retirement because of the free agent guards and draft pick. It may have been a surprise to some fans but hopefully ZT has a plan.
Reply/Quote

Boling was also quoted as saying that if it were just him, a young guy with no family, he'd be on the field.  I'd look more at pressure from the wife, than "fear of a hard core coach", if I were you.  Boling has already made millions, likely has invested well and not squandered his money.  she likely "allowed" Clint to believe that the decision was all his, while subtly pulling on the heart strings about long term health and being with the family.

Either way, I don't blame Clint for his decision.  I don't blame any man who has already earned enough to live and retire on, by the age of 30, for calling it quits due to health and family concerns.  However, there ain't no way in hell that anyone is going to convince me that Clint Boling took the easy way out, just to avoid a tough coach.  He's way too much of a proud and fierce competitor to ever be accused of chickening out.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 08:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Boling was also quoted as saying that if it were just him, a young guy with no family, he'd be on the field.  I'd look more at pressure from the wife, than "fear of a hard core coach", if I were you.  Boling has already made millions, likely has invested well and not squandered his money.  she likely "allowed" Clint to believe that the decision was all his, while subtly pulling on the heart strings about long term health and being with the family.

Either way, I don't blame Clint for his decision.  I don't blame any man who has already earned enough to live and retire on, by the age of 30, for calling it quits due to health and family concerns.  However, there ain't no way in hell that anyone is going to convince me that Clint Boling took the easy way out, just to avoid a tough coach.  He's way too much of a proud and fierce competitor to ever be accused of chickening out.

Not to mention Boling was on the rehab field the entire offseason so there were very few chances for Turner to "berate" him. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Thank you Clint Boling for all you did during your time here in Cincinnati.

A class act that will be missed immediately.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 02:02 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't think so.  I think the new coaching staff is going for high character types.  Maybe under Lewis, yes.  

High Character? They brought in Jim Turner who was radioactive in NFL circles. No other team would likely hire Turner to coach there.
Reply/Quote

What say you, Mobsters?

That might be a bit of a reach.  I have zero doubt that the team knew what he was going to do long before it was officially announced to the public.  

It would be interesting to know if he'd have done the same if he was coming back to a team with serious postseason aspirations. If he's financially secure, there's no reason to come back and get pounded on in a rebuild season as this one is likely to be.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 10:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: High Character? They brought in Jim Turner who was radioactive in NFL circles. No other team would likely hire Turner to coach there.

I'm neither appalled nor impressed by Jim Turner's practices, but I do have to say it is a bit strange that anyone would claim that we're going for high-character guys seeing as ZT instantly hired the guy and eventually brought in one of his former lackeys (with more to follow, perhaps?). Bonus points to the fact that someone managed to point out that Marvin Lewis is the guy who would hire low-character guys, too. New dey, eh?

(07-16-2019, 08:30 PM)Synric Wrote: Not to mention Boling was on the rehab field the entire offseason so there were very few chances for Turner to "berate" him. 

Even still, I doubt Turner has enough of his former pals around to bully a veteran who spent his entire career here while Turner is the new kid in town.  Plus, John Jerry is one step away from being back on the couch and Richie Incognito has been reduced to picking fights with non pro athletes.  Anyways, it's not really in the bully narrative to go to a new town and start picking on someone popular and who actually seems fit to handle being in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My opinion that he will be good is just as valid as your opinion that he will suck.

Carl Lawson was a 4th round LB that led all rookies in sacks.  I am sure you have tried to erase that from your memory, but it did happen.

Lawson is a fine player, but as I've already shown he's very much an exception to the rule with regard to linebackers here.  Pratt might be a terrific player as well, but it's far from a foregone conclusion.  Skepticism regarding their evaluation of talent is warranted.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 10:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nor should they feel like they need to.  Cordy Glenn will bridge the gap at LT for the season.  They like Hart at RT, where it gets dicey is at the backup Tackle spots.  Currently we have Kent Perkins and the UDFA out of Texas A&M.  They don't need to overpay for the guy from Washington, they don't NEED a starting LT, and therefore aren't in a position of desperation that might require overpaying and also giving up a high pick.

What they need is an established vet to play swing Tackle for a year or so, to bridge the gap to when Jonah Williams takes over.

I agree.  I don't agree about the paying part, at least not for a season or two.  They can afford to spend more money on this line, particularly after Boling being off of the books.  

Totally agree about the draft pick part.  I wouldn't give anything more than a 5th for him.  This team will likely have some pretty high draft picks in 2020, and giving any up at this point would be insanity.  
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 11:24 PM)samhain Wrote: I agree.  I don't agree about the paying part, at least not for a season or two.  They can afford to spend more money on this line, particularly after Boling being off of the books.  

Totally agree about the draft pick part.  I wouldn't give anything more than a 5th for him.  This team will likely have some pretty high draft picks in 2020, and giving any up at this point would be insanity.  

I know what you mean, but lordy...kicking the can down the road for next years high draft picks makes me fear that we've become the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you can call a rock a car, but you can't drive it to work.

Bengals gave up the value of a second round pick for Glenn and took on his expensive contract.  You can do all the mental gymnastics you want but that is not "signed off the scrap heap".

You are just wrong.

He was definitely signed off the scrap heap.  Buffalo had a terrible line and still saw him as expendable due to health and contract.  Do teams with awful lines bail players that are good so they can get better?  He was damaged goods.  They took what they could get for him.  Due to incredibly bad drafting at the tackle position, even a scrap heap player was an improvement for the Bengals.  No gymnastics are required to see what happened.
Reply/Quote

What say you, Mobsters?

Doc is just a pathetic shit stirrer.

First of all what does waiting this long have to do with Turner?  If Turner was the problem Boling would have known a long time ago.  That is pretty lame even for a hack like Daugherty.

Second, we signed TWO starting OGs and drafted another.  Boling's retirement does not "leave them in a lurch."  In fact it seems as if the team was expecting that it might happen.

Retiring at age 30 with no major injuries has to be tough for Boling.  I am not surprised he took a while to make it official.  But Doc knows how the haters will gobble up any negative spin he tosses out there no matter if it has any basis in reality or not.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 11:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know what you mean, but lordy...kicking the can down the road for next years high draft picks makes me fear that we've become the Browns.

It's a harsh reality.  Is Trent Williams being on the roster going to make the Bengals a playoff team?  Is he a long-term solution?  Definitely not.  

They need a lot more to fix this line than a over 30 OT with health concerns.  They need 2 guards and a RT until Westerman or Jordan prove otherwise.  

If this team goes into the toilet, you can get a top qb in 1, then snag a pretty good prospect at RT or OG at the beginning of round 2 just like they did in 03.  Suddenly you have a top qb prospect, Jonah, Price, and a day 1 starter up front instead of a bunch of retreads and Bobby Harts.  Prospects are suspects, but they're better than guys you already know are trash.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2019, 06:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We already have Turner and one of the other bully gate guys, though.  I can see saying Incognito is too much of a nut to bring in, but we already have some d-bag vibes going. 

Also odd that we say Marvin is more likely to bring in guys with questionable character when that was pretty much the first thing ZT did

I was referring to players.  I know Turner is a questionable hire.  I think ZT felt comfortable with him.  We fans discussed both Turner and the DC hires.  It was not a pretty process.  I don't know why Pollack was not retained.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote