Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boyd seeking 10M a year, wants to stay
Tyler won’t hold out, looking in the range of Shepard’s 4 year, 41M extension. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Why isnt it done?
Reply/Quote
I would say Boyd is not worth $10 million per year. He is just at best an average receiver. I would offer him a 4 year deal worth $25 million. That is being generous.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:33 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I would say Boyd is not worth $10 million per year. He is just at best an average receiver. I would offer him a 4 year deal worth $25 million. That is being generous.

Think he is much better than you give him credit. He stepped up in a big way when AJ went down. Only issue I have is he's really only stepped up last year. I think 8 would be good.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:33 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I would say Boyd is not worth $10 million per year. He is just at best an average receiver. I would offer him a 4 year deal worth $25 million. That is being generous.

He is better than Marvin Jones and Sanu who got 8 mil per and 6.5 mil per going on 4 years ago. With AJs repeat foot injuries and Ross making Eifert look durable.. I would be willing to pay up to have a QB friendly solid young proven WR.
Reply/Quote
Boyd is one of our top 10 players and is in the top 24-30 of WRs in league

Needs to be signed for going rate.

Don't make the Marvin Jones mistake twice.
Reply/Quote
I think all of these contracts are too high, but if we are going to overpay for a "slot" receiver, Boyd is a fine option.

That's what they get for letting other teams set the market.

They are about to make the same mistake with AJ.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Houshmandzadeh, considered a good WR2, received a deal averaging $8 mill a year back when the salary cap was only $123 mill. That's 6.5% of the salary cap.
The salary cap for 2019 is $188 mill. $10 mill is only 5.3% of the salary cap nowadays.
What Boyd is asking really isn't out of the question at all. I think it's pretty fair. We're just used to the Bengals still treating big contracts like it's a decade earlier.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
10 mil a year will be worth it if last year was just him getting started.

AJ Unfortantely wont be around forever. but i'd try to get him on a another 3 year deal too.
Reply/Quote
$10.25 mil per year would make him about the 20th highest paid WR in the league. That seems a little high, but young guys get richer deals.

I am really concerned about AJ injury issues. I would be tempted to pay Boyd this year and possibly let Green leave in free agency next year.
Reply/Quote
10 is about where he slots in as a high end 2. He would be in the company of guys like Tyler Lockett, Sterling Sheppard, Devin Funchess, Jameison Crowder. I'd argue he is the best in that grouping.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: $10.25 mil per year would make him about the 20th highest paid WR in the league.  That seems a little high, but young guys get richer deals.

I am really concerned about AJ injury issues.  I would be tempted to pay Boyd this year and possibly let Green leave in free agency next year.

worst case it be worth paying AJ Tag price
Reply/Quote
That's pretty reasonable for Boyd, provided he continues to produce at a rate similar to last year.
Reply/Quote
Seems legit to me, and this is key, he WANTS to be here.  Ink that young man.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Boyd is 24 years old and coming into his Prime years.

Pay the man...
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 09:38 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Think he is much better than you give him credit. He stepped up in a big way when AJ went down. Only issue I have is he's really only stepped up last year. I think 8 would be good.

Not only that, he produced with no AJ and Jeff Driskel under center.  He's a legit #2 WR, one of the top 5 in the league at his position, IMO.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
PAY the MAN! He single handedly (with Andy & Co.) took out the Ravens out of the playoffs 3 yrs ago and if not for Boyd, the offense would not have been moving the chains at all since he's played OR given FLOP Ross his comfy 7 TDs in the endzone this past season AND help AJ get single coverage. PAY the MAN.
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 10:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: Seems legit to me, and this is key, he WANTS to be here.  Ink that young man.

We won't know that he wants to be here until Mike Brown low-balls him. 
Reply/Quote
I wasn’t thrilled with the Bengals in free agency this season but I said I would be fine with it if they used the money to extend young talented players like Boyd , William Jackson III and a generational player like A.J. Green who should retire a Bengal. I think Boyd is a very talented WR ,a great team guy and plays hard no matter what the score. No excuse for the Bengals to not sign young core players. We have the money , we don’t spend in free agency and preach building through the draft and resigning our own.
Reply/Quote

That's Bobby Hart-type money.

Boyd is worth $10 million a year.
Reply/Quote