Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell visiting the Bengals
(03-16-2016, 12:28 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I don't see him commanding more than $4-5m/ a year.

He's going to ask for that based off Wallace getting almost 6M/yr and the market thinning, but Cincy isn't offering that. He also has to see it's his best chance to showcase himself as a #2 with so many other targets and a likely rookie #3. I don't know that anyone gives him more than a 3 yr deal, so the one year showcase may be the way to go. I'm guessing he would settle for 4M for a 1 yr deal but Cincy gets him to sign a 2yr deal for 6.5-7M total. He had some drops but the same % that Eifert had (8.1). He can play multiple positions and extend the field somewhat. He's a very reasonable option especially if they aren't giddy about the really old and fragile vets available.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 12:33 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: So Sanu gets 32.5M/5 years and he will sign for 3M?  I'll believe it when I see it.  He made 3.675M last season.

Sanu isn't 30 years old coming off a lot of injuries the previous season. I like Lafell but there is no reason he should get 5 or 6 million a year and if that is what he wants I really can't see him signing here with Mike Brown as our owner....I would think 3 million per or possibly 4 million a year at most.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
LeFells last contract was for just $3 million a year (3 yr $9 million), and he got cut because the Patriots didn't think he was worth it.

No way in hell he gets anything close to $5 million a year.

I predict 2 years for 4 to 5 million.
Reply/Quote
Because signing ex Patriot receivers has worked out well for us in the past.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 12:37 PM)Shady Wrote: If they think Alford is ready for the slot, it could go LB/DT in the first. If if they don't think Alford is all the way there, Shephard or Pharoah Cooper would be good 2nd round picks if we sign Lafell. 

Looking at the other posters talking about the $ he'll command, I'd rather put that money into an Eifert extenision.

Yes I would actually like Pharoah Cooper. Watch a lot of Carolina games since that's the other in state team and he's one of those guys you hear his name at least a couple of times every week because he was making a play. Don't know for sure if he'd be a surefire solid #2, but he could definitely replace Sanu.

As for Brandon LaFell I'm a little less excited. It's better than trusting a rookie WR, but he couldn't do much of anything in Carolina (albeit the QB play by Newton then wasn't what it has been lately) and I don't necessarily trust production coming from HoF Brady and that Patriots stat churning system.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Taking price/age/ability into consideration, LaFell has been #1 on my wish list.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm just going to ignore the comments on the link.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Meh, I'll worry about what he can do if/when we sign him. I've seen this drill before (and it's entertaining, don't get me wrong) where we talk up a guy for 3 or 4 pages until he doesn't sign and then we go on about how awful he's going to be and how he was overpaid by the team that did sign him.

Wait, is he going to replace Marvin Jones or Sanu? I guess he's more of a Sanu WR, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 12:37 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Sanu isn't 30 years old coming off a lot of injuries the previous season. I like Lafell but there is no reason he should get 5 or 6 million a year and if that is what he wants I really can't see him signing here with Mike Brown as our owner....I would think 3 million per or possibly 4 million a year at most.

Yet we had people on this same board clamoring that he was way better than Sanu, haha.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 01:06 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Yet we had people on this same board clamoring that he was way better than Sanu, haha.

A younger guy is going to get a bigger contract based on potential. I actually think he is comparable to Sanu or a little better as a player but he is older and he is coming off an injury plagued season....one that still outproduced Sanu.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I live in NE area and listen to their sports talk during my commute to Boston on Saturdays. Many thought that they cut ties with LaFell a little quick and referenced his injuries.

Now I'm aware that our track record with injured WR FAs isn't pristine, but he's not a guy that would break the bank. I'd take a flyer on him.
Reply/Quote
Yes!! Most upside of all of the available FA WR's. Injured for most of last season but had a very solid one just two seasons ago. I will be thrilled if we can sign him!
Reply/Quote
I'd love the signing because it would open-up our drafting options because we wouldn't necessarily have to take one early, especially since this year's class doesn't impress me too much.

The foot injury from last year does worry me because those things linger and a foot injury can kill a receiver's career, but, assuming he's healed, I' love the signing ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 12:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Taking price/age/ability into consideration, LaFell has been #1 on my wish list.
Yep!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 12:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: That's cool. Why did the Pats pass on him?

Because he drops everything
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Because he drops everything

It will be interesting to watch if some of these stories change if/when LaFell is wearing stripes.

LaFell had some drops last year, but it's not like drops have been a big issue through his career.

Saying he "drops everything" is asinine, frankly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Relatively enthusiastic "meh."
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Because he drops everything

I bet he doesn't drop his paycheck.

(03-16-2016, 01:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It will be interesting to watch if some of these stories change if/when LaFell is wearing stripes.

LaFell had some drops last year, but it's not like drops have been a big issue through his career.

That's the nature of the off-season message board, isn't it?  Last year around this time we were projecting Hill's YPC into a 2,000+ yard season while talking about how he's going to get his fumbling issues taken care of because, Tiki Barber, amirite?

If we sign LaFell we will trumpet the fact that we saved 2 or so million bucks over Wallace and that we simply have to coach-away his issues with drops in a manner the stupid Patriots couldn't.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 01:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It will be interesting to watch if some of these stories change if/when LaFell is wearing stripes.

lets not pretend either one of the guys he was replacing also had an issue with drops lol
(if he ends up the replacement)

Have we resigned greg little yet lol i laugh but he was looking real good in camp last season
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 11:55 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Rand Getlin breaking the news

Brings a lot more production than either of the guys we lost. He might not be near as dynamic as
MLJ and he had a lot of drops last season but he might be a nice addition along with a rookie.

Better than Sanu for sure.

All for it.
Reply/Quote