Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell visiting the Bengals
(03-16-2016, 01:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Because he drops everything

He dropped 6 passes, which was as many as Tyler Eifert.

However, LaFell only caught 50% of the passes thrown his way. Eifert caught 70.3%

Then, in 2014, LaFell only dropped 2 passes with 74 receptions and 114 targets. He caught 62.2% of passes thrown his way and had a drop rate of 1.7%

LaFell had a bad season last year, but he is still talented. Hoping they view him as the guy to take over Sanu's spot rather than Jones'.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 12:25 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Lafell would be a good signing for us. I think he's just as good as Marvin Jones personally.

How can you be Dalton's cousin AND LaFell's cousin at the same time?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 03:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How can you be Dalton's cousin AND LaFell's cousin at the same time?

Sorry that I'm normally right when it comes to a players talent.
Reply/Quote
Why is there all this talk of whether Brandon LaFell will replace MLJ? I thought the expectation across the board was to bring in a vet and draft a WR early?

Even if LaFell isn't quite to level of MLJ, he's definitely ahead of Sanu. The highly-drafted rookie should also be able to contribute at least a few hundred yards of offense, thus nearly equaling the same combined number of touches and production that MLJ and Sanu brought. Just because MLJ had 849 yards of the combined production and Sanu had 465 total yards doesn't mean that LaFell has to bring 849 and a rookie has to bring 465. If LaFell brought 750 and the rookie brought 564, it'd still balance out. Eifert also missed three games and should hopefully build on the 615/13 line he put up in 2015, likely reducing the amount of touches available for WR2+WR3.

With all that said, LaFell had higher yards in 2014 than MLJ has ever had in a season. People are too focused only on 2015.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why is there all this talk of whether Brandon LaFell will replace MLJ? I thought the expectation across the board was to bring in a vet and draft a WR early?

Even if LaFell isn't quite to level of MLJ, he's definitely ahead of Sanu. The highly-drafted rookie should also be able to contribute at least a few hundred yards of offense, thus nearly equaling the same combined number of touches and production that MLJ and Sanu brought. Just because MLJ had 849 yards of the combined production and Sanu had 465 total yards doesn't mean that LaFell has to bring 849 and a rookie has to bring 465. If LaFell brought 750 and the rookie brought 564, it'd still balance out. Eifert also missed three games and should hopefully build on the 615/13 line he put up in 2015, likely reducing the amount of touches available for WR2+WR3.

With all that said, LaFell had higher yards in 2014 than MLJ has ever had in a season. People are too focused only on 2015.

LaFell also averages about 100 more yards per year than Jones, and that's even excluding the season where Jones didn't play due to injury AND including almost half of the season that LaFell missed last year due to his injury. Marvin Jones does average 2-3 more TDs a year though (mostly due to that 10 TD year; his 2nd highest TDs in a year is 4). I think LaFell could be just as good as Jones. I don't think he's better, but he would be a good replacement due to him being a lot more resilient to injuries and he has just as much production and Jones.

The thing with this upcoming draft though is that it's not deep what so ever in WR talent. Treadwell / Doctson / Coleman / Fuller are the only ones I would take in the first, and Boyd would be someone I would take in the 2nd. I'm not impressed with any other receiver in that draft class. If we do take a receiver it will be in the 1st or 2nd round. Otherwise it will be at the ass end of the draft like we did last year with Alford.

If we do pick up someone like LaFell in FA I wouldn't be surprised if we pass on WR early this year. I think that we would just do a lot of 2 TE sets with Eifert and Kroft (or Uzomah). If we don't bring in someone from FA I would be pretty surprised if we don't draft a WR early in the draft. I think there are a lot of defensive players in the years draft that would be hard to pass up in the first few rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:30 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: LaFell also averages about 100 more yards per year than Jones, and that's even excluding the season where Jones didn't play due to injury AND including almost half of the season that LaFell missed last year due to his injury. Marvin Jones does average 2-3 more TDs a year though (mostly due to that 10 TD year; his 2nd highest TDs in a year is 4). I think LaFell could be just as good as Jones. I don't think he's better, but he would be a good replacement due to him being a lot more resilient to injuries and he has just as much production and Jones.

The thing with this upcoming draft though is that it's not deep what so ever in WR talent. Treadwell / Doctson / Coleman / Fuller are the only ones I would take in the first, and Boyd would be someone I would take in the 2nd. I'm not impressed with any other receiver in that draft class. If we do take a receiver it will be in the 1st or 2nd round. Otherwise it will be at the ass end of the draft like we did last year with Alford.

If we do pick up someone like LaFell in FA I wouldn't be surprised if we pass on WR early this year. I think that we would just do a lot of 2 TE sets with Eifert and Kroft (or Uzomah). If we don't bring in someone from FA I would be pretty surprised if we don't draft a WR early in the draft. I think there are a lot of defensive players in the years draft that would be hard to pass up in the first few rounds.

I would hope that the addition of LaFell doesn't remove the possibility of a WR taken in the first round. I agree with you that Coleman, Treadwell, and Doctson are all first-round talents. Fuller has plenty of talent to consider in the first as well, but the constant drops will be a worry. If the Bengals were willing to sacrifice the drops for everything else Fuller could bring, I'd support the decision.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm guessing LaFell left without a contract.. or is he still here?

Any updates?
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:10 AM)milksheikh Wrote: I'm guessing LaFell left without a contract.. or is he still here?

Any updates?

Who knows when he came in yesterday.  But I would say no news is not necessarily bad. I think we would hear if he left 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:12 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Who knows when he came in yesterday.  But I would say no news is not necessarily bad. I think we would hear if he left 

I agree. With the way social media is with the Twitter, I would think if he left without a contract that lafell, his agent, or both would be making it known as soon as possible in order to find other suitors. I hold out hope they are in pbs hammering out a deal. We need another guy, like in the case of Adam jones, to stand in front of the offices with a sign that says "sign Brandon lafell"

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:10 AM)milksheikh Wrote: I'm guessing LaFell left without a contract.. or is he still here?

Any updates?

I've seen that he was supposed to visit on the 16th and then supposed to visit on the 17th. Both from credible sources. Who knows, maybe he spent 2 days with the team. But that's all I got so far.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Hobs said he was here during the Jones presser. So he def had (is having) his visit.

Call me desperate for some wideout help, but I've been waiting for an update too.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think they need to beat the tires, but im still hoping that we pick up boldin. I like that they brought him in to talk and try him out however lets not be over excited about signing a guy just we need a receiver.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I can't get excited over any FA WR. Especially one who drops all of Brady's softballs
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 03:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: He dropped 6 passes, which was as many as Tyler Eifert.

However, LaFell only caught 50% of the passes thrown his way. Eifert caught 70.3%

Then, in 2014, LaFell only dropped 2 passes with 74 receptions and 114 targets. He caught 62.2% of passes thrown his way and had a drop rate of 1.7%

LaFell had a bad season last year, but he is still talented. Hoping they view him as the guy to take over Sanu's spot rather than Jones'.

When I watched pats games he was dropping, falling down, or just not making any plays.   Heck we can get Tate to do that for us .  
Reply/Quote
I think it is probably safe to assume that Lafell isn't on his visit any longer. I don't think that means a deal can't still be reached but I would imagine they have some other players they want to visit with also. Anyone heard about any potential visits in the last couple of days?
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Is it too early to start talking about LaFell's drops and acting like we didn't want to sign him anyways?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 10:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is it too early to start talking about LaFell's drops and acting like we didn't want to sign him anyways?

Yeah, given we don't know if the window is shut yet....

I refuse to believe this team goes on with Brandon Tate this high in deph.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 10:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is it too early to start talking about LaFell's drops and acting like we didn't want to sign him anyways?

LaFell doesn't really have that big of a drop issue. Last year he dropped 6 balls, but they all came from his first game off of PuP, and the year before that he only had 2.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 10:40 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: LaFell doesn't really have that big of a drop issue. Last year he dropped 6 balls, but they all came from his first game off of PuP, and the year before that he only had 2.

Believe me, as soon as we don't sign him we are going to start talking about his "massive drops issue" pretty hardcore in this thread.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 10:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Believe me, as soon as we don't sign him we are going to start talking about his "massive drops issue" pretty hardcore in this thread.

I guess. People do like to talk about things that aren't necessarily true all the time on this board.
Reply/Quote