Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking: Burfict Suspended (Again)
(03-22-2018, 06:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Jowczarski,

Maybe you know more details...  but what all does burfict stand to lose being suspended.. I know game checks obviously but we had clauses in his contract to protect us.

Or does it just give us an out with no bad debt?

He's going to lose about $1.8 million. 

The Bengals aren't really paying him anything if he doesn't play. Any suspensions he incurs (or, frankly, injuries he suffers that keep him out) comes out of his pocket alone. The only "dead money" you'll see the Bengals on the hook for via the salary accounting sites are just that...it's accounting. His signing bonus was paid out within 20 days of him signing the deal last year.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2018, 06:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Even though we don't see eye to eye on everything Bengals, I cannot express enoigh how much I appreciate your extra effort in posting on this message board and especially your Bengals Beat Podcast every week. I know you don't HAVE to do that. Thanks, Jim O!

Thanks! I enjoy it! 
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Burfict officially suspended. Lost his appeal.

http://www.bengals.com/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Great...

Can we cut him now? Whatever
Reply/Quote
It's just unfortunate that all this enabling and we have yet to reap the benefits. He's proven everyone right.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 05:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's just unfortunate that all this enabling and we have yet to reap the benefits. He's proven everyone right.

I'm lost here.  What exactly do you mean by those statements?  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I love him but you just can’t count on that dude.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 12:01 PM)jowczarski Wrote: He's going to lose about $1.8 million. 

The Bengals aren't really paying him anything if he doesn't play. Any suspensions he incurs (or, frankly, injuries he suffers that keep him out) comes out of his pocket alone. The only "dead money" you'll see the Bengals on the hook for via the salary accounting sites are just that...it's accounting. His signing bonus was paid out within 20 days of him signing the deal last year.

Do you see the Bengals moving on from him? Whats your gut feeling?
Reply/Quote
He's not going anywhere guys. He will be back into form by week 6!
Reply/Quote
Well, let's see if he shows up fat and unmotivated like he did after missing the beginning of 2016. He played his way into shape and ended up finishing strong, but it'd be nice to have him ready to jump right in.

He got popped for a PED. Didn't beat his wife, drive drunk, etc. Cutting him seems wayyyyy to reactionary
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 06:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: He's not going anywhere guys. He will be back into form by week 6!

Meaning suspended by week 7.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 05:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm lost here.  What exactly do you mean by those statements?  

I mean everything they said about him coming out of college ended up being true.

MB and Marvin defend, defend, defend, excuse, excuse, excuse, him and he repays them each year by opening up the year suspended one way or another. Making fools of them.

We mock Eifert, yet Burfict has missed seemingly just as many games in his career and gets a pass, and has cost us games to boot.

I was a big fan of Burficts too, but he's just not reliable, and when people give you a chance and gamble on you, you should be motivated to prove people wrong. At the end of the day Burfict hasn't.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 08:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: I mean everything they said about him coming out of college ended up being true.

MB and Marvin defend, defend, defend, excuse, excuse, excuse, him and he repays them each year by opening up the year suspended one way or another. Making fools of them.

We mock Eifert, yet Burfict has missed seemingly just as many games in his career and gets a pass, and has cost us games to boot.

I was a big fan of Burficts too, but he's just not reliable, and when people give you a chance and gamble on you, you should be motivated to prove people wrong. At the end of the day Burfict hasn't.

Which could be why the Bengals attained Burfict as an UDFA, and not a 1st round pick like Tyler Eifert.  Overall, I'd say the Bengals have gotten their money's worth out of Vontaze.  When he's healthy and in the game, he IS the Super Destroyer.

Folks can whine and cry about suspension this, or injury that, but the fact remains that he is one of the most feared players in the NFL.  You're much happier having him on your team than the visiting team...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I wasn't quite sure what adderall was until looking it up,  amphetamine..  Well, this explains a lot..
I haven't taken speed since my 20s so the names of medications have changed a bit since then..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So what’s the “work-around?” How does Cincinnati get by without Vontaze Burfict for the first part of the season?
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which could be why the Bengals attained Burfict as an UDFA, and not a 1st round pick like Tyler Eifert.  Overall, I'd say the Bengals have gotten their money's worth out of Vontaze.  When he's healthy and in the game, he IS the Super Destroyer.

Folks can whine and cry about suspension this, or injury that, but the fact remains that he is one of the most feared players in the NFL.  You're much happier having him on your team than the visiting team...

No doubt . Adderall or not, suspension or not he's still one of the last guys offensive players want to have to face .

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 07:48 PM)Brimey Wrote: Well, let's see if he shows up fat and unmotivated like he did after missing the beginning of 2016. He played his way into shape and ended up finishing strong, but it'd be nice to have him ready to jump right in.

He got popped for a PED. Didn't beat his wife, drive drunk, etc. Cutting him seems wayyyyy to reactionary

It's not just about that. It's about the fact that Burfict will have played in 33 games out of 70 once this suspension is over. He's had several suspensions, fines, injuries, etc. All resulting in an absurd amount of time missed. 

Simply put, he cannot be relied on. I'm ready to move on. This team has played without Burfict plenty of times and have won without him plenty of times. We're used to it, unfortunately. I say cut or trade him, and build for the future without him. Hopefully a future with a superstar LB that actually can be relied on. 
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which could be why the Bengals attained Burfict as an UDFA, and not a 1st round pick like Tyler Eifert.  Overall, I'd say the Bengals have gotten their money's worth out of Vontaze.  When he's healthy and in the game, he IS the Super Destroyer.

Well said, Sunset.

Rep

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 10:55 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's not just about that. It's about the fact that Burfict will have played in 33 games out of 70 once this suspension is over. He's had several suspensions, fines, injuries, etc. All resulting in an absurd amount of time missed. 

Simply put, he cannot be relied on. I'm ready to move on. This team has played without Burfict plenty of times and have won without him plenty of times. We're used to it, unfortunately. I say cut or trade him, and build for the future without him. Hopefully a future with a superstar LB that actually can be relied on. 

There's absolutely no guarantee that anyone that replaces him will be anywhere near as good while playing. This team has continually struggled to find high quality LBs so you want to cut one of arguably best LBs of the entire league and replace with who exactly? Suppose he gets cut tomorrow and signs with the squeels or rats or stains.. Then what?  I certainly wouldn't want our offence to have to face him twice a year and suppose he does sign within our division then never misses another game till he retires..  Like it or not teams have to make allowances for once in a generation talent that comes along with baggage before he ever signs in the first place . You might not like that aspect of football and few people do ,but it's part of football reality .

Reply/Quote
2013 remains his last season playing in 16 games.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote