Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit Referendum Day
(06-29-2016, 06:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Did you hear Farage get smacked down during that session? There were a lot of zingers flying in that chamber before, during, and after that, and I personally found it hilarious. Farage did a great job of unifying just about everyone in the EU behind one theme, Farage is a prat.

I found it funny how Farage said he wanted an adult, sensible negotiation, and then proceeded to insult the entire chamber, even though he had been doing so as well. There is a reason that the Conservatives distance themselves from UKIP.

I didn't watch any more than this piece.
Link ?
If not, I'll search for it.
(06-29-2016, 11:18 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I didn't watch any more than this piece.
Link ?
If not, I'll search for it.

I'll see if I can find it, I think it was Juncker. He essentially asked "why are you here?" among other things. All in all the whole thing was pretty childish from Juncker, Farage, and really most of the chamber.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
So, Merkel has called out Juncker as part of the problem and officials in Germany are calling for his resignation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Brexit is screwing the Swiss, now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/03/eu-swiss-single-market-access-no-free-movement-citizens

Quote:The European Union is to show its determination to make no concessions to the UK on Brexit terms by telling Switzerland it will lose access to the single market if it goes ahead with plans to impose controls on the free movement of EU citizens.

The Swiss-EU talks, under way for two years but now needing a solution possibly within weeks, throws up the exact same issues that will be raised in the UK’s exit talks – the degree to which the UK must accept free movement of the EU’s citizens as a price for access to the single market.

The Swiss are desperate to strike a deal in order to give its politicians time to pass the necessary laws to meet a February 2017 deadline imposed by a legally binding referendum in 2014.

The former president of the FDP-Liberal Radicals, Philipp Müller, on Sunday said the Brexit threat should serve as a warning to the Swiss, amid suggestions in Brussels the prospect of UK-EU exit talks meant there was less willingness to give ground on freedom of movement.

Yeah.....pretty much sucks for the Swiss that the EU has to butch-up it's image, after Brexit.
Thing is that I think the action will cause others to consider their exit in a more serious fashion. (those who were already rumored to be doing so)

[Image: 1467028629978_zpszegmxe0v.gif]
(07-03-2016, 11:39 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Brexit is screwing the Swiss, now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/03/eu-swiss-single-market-access-no-free-movement-citizens

Wouldn't the comment be more aptly worded if it said: "EU is now screwing the Swiss"? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-03-2016, 12:33 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Yeah.....pretty much sucks for the Swiss that the EU has to butch-up it's image, after Brexit.
Thing is that I think the action will cause others to consider their exit in a more serious fashion. (those who were already rumored to be doing so)

[Image: 1467028629978_zpszegmxe0v.gif]

This may turn out not to be true. I haven't heard about others, but I know Finland is backing down on their noise after seeing the shit show that was Brexit. It will be interesting to see what polls in other countries show, but Finland's numbers have shifted decidedly in the EU's favor.

(07-03-2016, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Wouldn't the comment be more aptly worded if it said: "EU is now screwing the Swiss"? 

Brexit is the new factor. In all truth from some comments I have read it wasn't likely that the Swiss would've won that battle either way and they knew it.

Well now.....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/04/andrea-leadsom-brexit-tory-leadership-campaign-ukip-live/

Quote:Nigel Farage resigns as Ukip leader: 'I have done my bit. Now I want my life back'

Nigel Farage has resigned as Ukip leader after his success in the EU referendum and said: "I want my life back".

The Ukip leader said "I feel I have done my bit" and "couldn't possibly achieve more" than he did in the EU referendum.
At a press conference in London he said: "During this referendum campaign I said I want my country back. Now I want my life back.

"I feel I have done my bit. I couldn't possibly achieve more than we did in that referendum. I stand aside aside. I won’t be changing my mind again, I promise you.”

He said he will remain as an MEP and continue to support Ukip, which he said is in a "sound position".

(07-03-2016, 03:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This may turn out not to be true. I haven't heard about others, but I know Finland is backing down on their noise after seeing the shit show that was Brexit. It will be interesting to see what polls in other countries show, but Finland's numbers have shifted decidedly in the EU's favor.

It is possible that a strong stance on the Swiss may intimidate the others.

I didn't think about it in that manner.
Thanks.

I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.
(07-04-2016, 10:54 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Well now.....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/04/andrea-leadsom-brexit-tory-leadership-campaign-ukip-live/

I saw that. What a shit show. Check this out. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36700350

Quote:A law firm is taking action to ensure the formal process for the UK leaving the EU is not started without an act of Parliament.

Mishcon de Reya, lawyers acting for a group of business people and academics, said it would be unlawful for a prime minister to trigger Article 50 without a full debate and vote in Parliament.

It comes after the UK voted to leave the EU in the 23 June referendum.

Number 10 said Parliament should "have a role" in deciding the way forward.

Following the referendum, David Cameron announced he would stand down as prime minister by October and would leave his replacement to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

Once the legal process is triggered there is a two-year time limit to negotiate an exit deal from the EU.

(07-04-2016, 05:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I saw that. What a shit show. Check this out. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36700350

Dang....

More Farage.....his own press conference.

Sorry to drag this one back up, but I found this to be hilarious, but didn't want to make it a thread of its own.

http://www.dw.com/en/farage-sighted-at-german-embassy-london/a-19478751?maca=en-rss-en-all-1573-rdf

Quote:Europe
Farage 'sighted' at German embassy, London

A reported sighting of top Brexit advocate Nigel Farage queuing at Germany's embassy in London has triggered media scrutiny. The US portal "BuzzFeed" says Farage hung up when asked if he was seeking German citizenship.
Großbritannien Nigel Farage Rücktritt

Britain's "Spectator" and "BuzzFeed" both quoted a Facebook post that Farage was sighted in a queue at the German embassy on Monday, standing alongside other people who were hoping to secure dual-citizenship before Britain formally applies to leave the EU.

Farage was a leading "Leave" advocate who hotly opposed inward migration prior to Britain's narrow referendum decision on 23 June to quit the European Union.

The former UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader, who quit abruptly as its chairman after the referendum, has been married since 1999 to a German, Kirsten Mehr.

According to the German biographical encyclopedia "Munzinger," she has worked as assistant in his Brussels bureau. Farage, himself, entered the European Parliament in 1999 as a vocal euro-skeptic.

"BuzzFeed" said Tuesday its phone call to Farage about the embassy sighting drew a taciturn response.

Asked whether he was queuing to apply for German citizenship, Farage had replied "none of your business" and then "hung up," "BuzzFeed" said.

(08-16-2016, 07:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Sorry to drag this one back up, but I found this to be hilarious, but didn't want to make it a thread of its own.

http://www.dw.com/en/farage-sighted-at-german-embassy-london/a-19478751?maca=en-rss-en-all-1573-rdf
Being his wife is German, I'm surprised he hadn't until now.

The bear does deserve to be poked in this situation though.
Big Grin

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
I did notice the EPL started this weekend and no big stories about who they couldn't sign because of work visas

(08-16-2016, 11:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I did notice the EPL started this weekend and no big stories about who they couldn't sign because of work visas

That's because we honestly don't know what's going to happen, yet. The leave side wants to shut down the free movement, but they want access to the single market. They can't have both. That means Teresa May will be having an interesting time negotiating this. But, if they do shut down the free movement then they will have fewer players from the continent playing in the EPL.

I saw this and found it amusing:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027965013

Sorry for quoting Democratic Underground, but it was the only place I could find the original and new statement.

Jill Stein, right after Brexit, praised it as a positive move and an attack on a rigged system by the people. She says that the EU's policies caused hatred towards immigrants and suggested moves like Brexit would lead to policies of more inclusiveness.

She got some backlash and completely changed her post. She now states that she supported efforts to stay in and fix the problems.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-17-2016, 11:32 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I saw this and found it amusing:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027965013

Sorry for quoting Democratic Underground, but it was the only place I could find the original and new statement.

Jill Stein, right after Brexit, praised it as a positive move and an attack on a rigged system by the people. She says that the EU's policies caused hatred towards immigrants and suggested moves like Brexit would lead to policies of more inclusiveness.

She got some backlash and completely changed her post. She now states that she supported efforts to stay in and fix the problems.

Wow no love for Stein at the DUmp.  Master Skinner has all the little children behaving well.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Looks like the British government is going to do all thay can to stop the exit.

http://www.local10.com/news/brexit-roadmap-what-happens-next-after-shock-court-ruling

Personally I think it's bullshit, the people voted.

(11-04-2016, 12:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Looks like the British government is going to do all thay can to stop the exit.

http://www.local10.com/news/brexit-roadmap-what-happens-next-after-shock-court-ruling

Personally I think it's bullshit, the people voted.

Sounds like you didn't read the article:

Quote:People who want the U.K. to remain in the EU shouldn't get too excited, however. Experts say Brexit is still almost certain to happen... it just may take longer, and look rather different.

Here's a step-by-step guide to what will happen next on this long and winding road:

Heading to the Supreme Court
The government will appeal the judgment. The Supreme Court is likely to hear the case in early December and issue a ruling by early January.

If the Supreme Court overturns the High Court ruling, May will be able to trigger Article 50 whenever she wants. But if it upholds the ruling, May will have to seek approval from members of parliament before taking that first step. That could drag things out.

Many MPs, including May herself, were opposed to leaving the EU, so they could in theory vote to stop Brexit. Experts say that won't happen because the majority of the British public backed Brexit in a June referendum.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.