Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Burrow Can you Hit
(09-11-2023, 04:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: I guess some owe Dalton an apology then for acting as though his 2.0 game was rare and career defining. Interesting how when Burrow puts up that kind of game, folks go out of their way to highlight others poor games. 

Dalton never got that grace.

Also, people didn’t really go out of their way to highlight other QB’s poor games. Someone asked if the greats ever had games that bad, and examples were given.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 05:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not really seeing it. Burrow has been getting absolutely obliterated. And rightfully so. He was the #1 reason we lost. If someone doesn’t agree with that they’re trolling or just want to argue.

I've seen a little on here, but social media is a special kind of stupid the last 24+ hours. LOL (note: I'm talking Bengals homer pages, the rest of the NFL is taking their shots.)

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 04:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dude let it go.

Why cause it's Dalton. Folks continue to bring up his 2.0 game and you have no problem with that.... Yet you have an issue with me highlighting the difference in the reaction of "some". I wonder why you take it personal?

No I don't.

We both know how much you bring up "Dalton 2.0".

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:38 AM)jj22 Wrote: The beg for mercy knee was the ultimate show of defeat.

Specifically to an AFCN opponent.

Bringing the reigning AFCC appearing team to their knee in a plea for mercy is something we'd never let the Steelers fans for example forget if we could have gotten them so low they had no choice but to surrender.

If this was Russia, they would have been shot heading back to the locker room after that.

I guess they could have run a passing route and gotten someone injured in th4e process in a game that was already lost. Then you could blast them for getting players injured for nothing. Must be nice having it both ways.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 05:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: Why cause it's Dalton. Folks continue to bring up his 2.0 game and you have no problem with that.... Yet you have an issue with me highlighting the difference in the reaction of "some". I wonder why you take it personal?

No I don't.

We both know how much you bring up "Dalton 2.0".

Guy, yesterday sucked enough. Last thing I want to do is argue about ancient history.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:28 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In the entire history of the NFL. Every single QB that has ever stepped foot on a football field; Joe Burrow has the highest career completion percentage of them all.

Every.Single.One.Of.Them.

Your use of facts are not appreciated here. Please choose a torch or pitchfork and meet us outside the castle.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 05:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess they could have run a passing route and gotten someone injured in th4e process in a game that was already lost. Then you could blast them for getting players injured for nothing. Must be nice having it both ways.

Yes, there was a risk of injury. The field conditions were poor. 

But this was also an opportunity for the second and third stringers, who normally might not play, to get actual game experience. Browning and Iosivas come to mind. They were playing in the preseason games, even though there was an even greater risk of injury there, going up against backups trying to make the team. And in college, coaches use games that are already decided to get some game experience for their backup QBs and running backs and WRs. 

I was quite surprised that the Bengals didn't try to get some actual game experience for our backup players. And it was odd doing a "victory formation" at the end of that game.

Regarding concern about getting injured, I remember the Giants going all out against the Patriots in the last regular season game of 2015. People were shocked because the game meant nothing standing wise to the Giants. There was no reason to play their starters. They were just risking injury. Their playoff position was already set. But they went all out that game. Although the Giants lost that game, they ended up SuperBowl champs that year. They did the opposite of playing scared. And they earned my, and many other fans, respect.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 05:07 PM)R3stangs Wrote: We all have our opinions don't we. Mine is that an offense that has been together this long shouldn't be that off. And somehow the opposing team managed to find ways to play with the weather. 

This is supposed to be one of the class offenses in the NFL that has been together for several years now. Make as many excuses as you want, I don't think they should've looked that bad. If Burrow wasn't ready to play then don't run him out there.

I could go on just suffice it to say we disagree regardless of your attempted insult.

If Joe wasnt ready he surely should not have played. But anyone that thinks him having only 3 practices in the last 5 weeks is enough to operate efficiently isnt very bright. Not against a team in which we have zero tape, in Cleveland with the noise, the weather, and that defensive line and DBs. 3 practices isnt enough for Mahomes. I think the scheme was awful, play calling was awful and Joe was awful. Perhaps the decision to play Joe was awful too?

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 04:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: I guess some owe Dalton an apology then for acting as though his 2.0 game was rare and career defining. Interesting how when Burrow puts up that kind of game, folks go out of their way to highlight others poor games. 

Dalton never got that grace.

This post just confirms that you're out of touch with reality.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 07:18 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: This?

[Image: Red-Barn.jpg]

Even though I laughed, Burrow will be fine and honestly the Bengals will be fine. He’s a competitor and about as good of a leader as I’ve ever seen, the team will fall in line. And there’s too much talent in most areas that even Barry Switzer Zac Taylor can’t screw it up. Now if that takes a drop off, Zac will be super exposed. His play calling already is. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:28 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: In the entire history of the NFL. Every single QB that has ever stepped foot on a football field; Joe Burrow has the highest career completion percentage of them all.

Every.Single.One.Of.Them.

Also in the top 5 Of.All.Time...
2. Jimmy Garoppolo
4. Justin Herbert
5. Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson, and Kyler Murray (tied)

The top 10 are 9 currently active QBs and then Drew Brees who had a 65.2% completion before 2011 (137 games) and 69.8% completion from 2011 on (149 games).

The league average completion % when Burrow entered the league in 2020 was 65.2.
The league average completion % when Dalton entered the league in 2011 was 60.1.
The league average completion % when Palmer entered the league in 2003 was 58.8.
The league average completion % when Esiason entered the league in 1984 was 56.4.
The league average completion % when Anderson entered the league in 1971 was 50.9.

It is always better to be the best, and this thread is dumb, but your statement is a product of the current NFL rather than the earth shattering statement it seems to be.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lightbulb 
(09-11-2023, 11:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: This post just confirms that you're out of touch with reality.

I didn’t see folks pointing to other greats who had similarly bad games when Dalton was in this situation. I’ll play along and say maybe I missed it….. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Also in the top 5 Of.All.Time...
2. Jimmy Garoppolo
4. Justin Herbert
5. Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson, and Kyler Murray (tied)

The top 10 are 9 currently active QBs and then Drew Brees who had a 65.2% completion before 2011 (137 games) and 69.8% completion from 2011 on (149 games).

The league average completion % when Burrow entered the league in 2020 was 65.2.
The league average completion % when Dalton entered the league in 2011 was 60.1.
The league average completion % when Palmer entered the league in 2003 was 58.8.
The league average completion % when Esiason entered the league in 1984 was 56.4.
The league average completion % when Anderson entered the league in 1971 was 50.9.

It is always better to be the best, and this thread is dumb, but your statement is a product of the current NFL rather than the earth shattering statement it seems to be.

It's certainly a product of the NFL but that doesn't discount or diminish the fact that his name is at the top. It could be any of those guys (JimmyG is actually tied right now) but it's not. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:06 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Even though I laughed, Burrow will be fine and honestly the Bengals will be fine. He’s a competitor and about as good of a leader as I’ve ever seen, the team will fall in line. And there’s too much talent in most areas that even Barry Switzer Zac Taylor can’t screw it up. Now if that takes a drop off, Zac will be super exposed. His play calling already is. 

Calling Zac, Switzer is completely obtuse and flat-out wrong: their two situations and styles aren't the same in the slightest.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 08:41 PM)Nepa Wrote: Yes, there was a risk of injury. The field conditions were poor. 

But this was also an opportunity for the second and third stringers, who normally might not play, to get actual game experience. Browning and Iosivas come to mind. They were playing in the preseason games, even though there was an even greater risk of injury there, going up against backups trying to make the team. And in college, coaches use games that are already decided to get some game experience for their backup QBs and running backs and WRs. 

I was quite surprised that the Bengals didn't try to get some actual game experience for our backup players. And it was odd doing a "victory formation" at the end of that game.

Regarding concern about getting injured, I remember the Giants going all out against the Patriots in the last regular season game of 2015. People were shocked because the game meant nothing standing wise to the Giants. There was no reason to play their starters. They were just risking injury. Their playoff position was already set. But they went all out that game. Although the Giants lost that game, they ended up SuperBowl champs that year. They did the opposite of playing scared. And they earned my, and many other fans, respect.

Yeah, like I said before, I would have liked to have seen Browning let loose. But it comes with risk, not to just the receivers, but to the linemen who were playing on that shit surface.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If Joe wasnt ready he surely should not have played.  But anyone that thinks him having only 3 practices in the last 5 weeks is enough to operate efficiently isnt very bright.  Not against a team in which we have zero tape, in Cleveland with the noise, the weather, and that defensive line and DBs.  3 practices isnt enough for Mahomes.  I think the scheme was awful, play calling was awful and Joe was awful.  Perhaps the decision to play Joe was awful too?

What bothers me is that although he only had 3 practices, he, Tee and Chase were not on the same page, and they've played together for years. Timing is one thing, but how can they not know where they are supposed to be on a play?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If Joe wasnt ready he surely should not have played.  But anyone that thinks him having only 3 practices in the last 5 weeks is enough to operate efficiently isnt very bright.  Not against a team in which we have zero tape, in Cleveland with the noise, the weather, and that defensive line and DBs.  3 practices isnt enough for Mahomes.  I think the scheme was awful, play calling was awful and Joe was awful.  Perhaps the decision to play Joe was awful too?

I think this is being glossed over entirely too much. There was a weather factor, the lack of practice factor, coming off yet another preseason injury factor, and the factor you noted here. I think this was the biggest culprit, honestly. Dan Hoard mentioned it this morning on the Mike McConnell Show.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:03 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Calling Zac, Switzer is completely obtuse and flat-out wrong: their two situations and styles aren't the same in the slightest.

Zac will continue to be exposed as a less than mediocre coach who is riding the coattails of a very talented team, same as Barry Switzer was. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 09:37 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Zac will continue to be exposed as a less than mediocre coach who is riding the coattails of a very talented team, same as Barry Switzer was. 

Switzer inherited a team that was architected by Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones.

Zac built his team, his staff, etc. from the ground up.

Switzer had a toxic lockerroom and didn't give a shit if it was positive or not. Zac is a complete 180 of that.

Many players had their best years after Switzer came to the Cowboys (Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, etc.), so he got enough talent out of them, that wasn't the issue.

I'm not saying I disagree with your stance (I do lol, but not for the reason you championed), but the comparison is 100% not apt, at all.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 09:37 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Zac will continue to be exposed as a less than mediocre coach who is riding the coattails of a very talented team, same as Barry Switzer was. 

You know, Justin Jefferson is a Minnesota Viking. Why not go post your nonsense there?
Reply/Quote