Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow Injury
I don't think Burrow is not the type to celebrate losses, that's hard to do, though that kurt warner special is trying to make him.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:29 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Yet it should be noted that Chase was drafted over Sewell per Burrow's request. So it was a pick your poison type thing.

It wasn't Sewell or nothing. What drives me crazy is they could have gotten Chase like they did and then pick up better lineman via Free Agency. They also didn't have to trade down and settle with Carman. There were plenty of other options.

I remember after the draft and free agency so many people on here said it was enough and chastised anyone who said this line won't protect Burrow this season. Those people are also very quiet about that and have been all season.

Lets see some real change on the OL this upcoming FA. I want proven guys in here protecting our greatest asset, not just one signing and an unproven player from the draft. We need an overhaul.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:29 AM)Go Cards Wrote: burrow said in interview after game that the team would be celebrating their accomplishments and they most certainly should have celebrated. Certain it was not as festive as a win would have made yet still they deserved it.

Have not said anything about concerns for Joe since earlier in season when I made a comment that I just hoped Burrow lasted throughout the year behind this porous line.

Was blasted immediately saying I was pretty much a fool for suggesting so after all the team had done to protect Joe and that I must have some kind of agenda.

Yet it should be noted that Chase was drafted over Sewell per Burrow's request. So it was a pick your poison type thing.

Just got to go all in and fix it now no matter what it takes to do so.

As I said, if Burrow wants Chase, take Chase.  This franchise is zilch without Burrow, so he may as well run the damn thing. 

Burrow seems pretty smart, so I assume he wants an o line, too.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: As I said, if Burrow wants Chase, take Chase.  This franchise is zilch without Burrow, so he may as well run the damn thing. 

Burrow seems pretty smart, so I assume he wants an o line, too.  

Burrow isn't going to be able to walk without a cane at age 45 so sometimes you have to protect players from themselves. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:29 AM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow isn't going to be able to walk without a cane at age 45 so sometimes you have to protect players from themselves. 

His body, his choice?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No, but I jumped onto a bicycle with the seat missing. 

That hurt just to read....
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That hurt just to read....

Hurt So Good?
Reply/Quote
Burrow has had right knee issues for the latter part of the year. The SAME exact thing happened against the Titans. He got sacked and went down screaming in pain, limped off, and came back in. I think he originally hurt it in the Chiefs game.

Regardless, I don't know how he goes down like that in so much pain and there is nothing wrong with his knee...something has to be up. Whether its serious or not is another question.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m highly suspect about Pollack actually wanting Carman. Mike and Duke were apparently reaching out to Alexander on their own about him. And Price was a panic move once Ragnow got snagged ahead of us. I seriously doubt he wanted him either. Completely speculating though.

This is correct. The Carman pick was a Mike Brown/Alexander influenced one. For some reason they used Alexander as an advisor/consultant. Just Mike Brown continuing to do Mike Brown things. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:52 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: That was the way NE did it.

It really wasn't at all.

NE saved tons of money on Brady taking below-market contracts. Brady didn't make $20m in a year until 2019 when he made $23m to be the 14th highest paid QB that year. 

They never spent big money on a RB1. They were constantly throwing random guys at cheap prices into commitees.

They then spent most of their money on defense and some OL... but mostly defense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It really wasn't at all.

NE saved tons of money on Brady taking below-market contracts. Brady didn't make $20m in a year until 2019 when he made $23m to be the 14th highest paid QB that year. 

It's also worth noting Tom's wife is has a net worth of nearly half-a-billion dollars. I suppose this might have influenced his decision to continuously take below-market deals.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 12:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's also worth noting Tom's wife is has a net worth of nearly half-a-billion dollars. I suppose this might have influenced his decision to continuously take below-market deals.

Oh, 100% probably had a decent amount to do with it. 

Regardless of the reason, though, doesn't mean it wasn't an advantage.

I know the name of the game is get yours while your can, but maybe Aaron Rodgers would have won more in the postseason if he wasn't on a 4yr/$134m extension. It'll be real interesting to see how some of these teams handle having QBs that are making $40m/yr now.

Mahomes cap hit in 2021: $7.4m
Mahomes cap hit in 2022: $35.8m
Mahomes cap hit in 2023: $46.8m

Allen cap hit in 2021: $10.2m
Allen cap hit in 2022: $16.4m
Allen cap hit in 2023: $39.8m

Prescott cap hit in 2021: $17.2m
Prescott cap hit in 2022: $34.5m
Prescott cap hit in 2023: $45.5m

I know the cap will rise a ton over the next couple years, but even then that's a huge amount for one player.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 01:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, 100% probably had a decent amount to do with it. 

I know the name of the game is get yours while your can, but maybe Aaron Rodgers would have won more in the postseason if he wasn't on a 4yr/$134m extension. It'll be real interesting to see how some of these teams handle having QBs that are making $40m/yr now.

I know the cap will rise a ton over the next couple years, but even then that's a huge amount for one player.

I agree, it was an advantage for NE. Isn't the player's union mantra basically every player must look to get the biggest deal possible with the belief that it then allows other players to get maximum deals? I'd imagine Burrow will be faced with this choice for his next contract and as a player who values his team mates, he'll look to get his 10 year, $500 to $700 million contract. It would be nice if the Bengals get a Burrow discount and interesting to see if it is a possibility, but I think Brady's situation was unique and I don't expect we'll see many guys go the route of Brady for their contract.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:45 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is correct. The Carman pick was a Mike Brown/Alexander influenced one. For some reason they used Alexander as an advisor/consultant. Just Mike Brown continuing to do Mike Brown things. 

This guy is in his 90’s making major decisions on a billion dollar product? Most 90 year olds can’t even wipe their ass on their own. He needs to step aside permanently.    Whatever
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 02:41 PM)GodFather Wrote: This guy is in his 90’s making major decisions on a billion dollar product? Most 90 year olds can’t even wipe their ass on their own. He needs to step aside permanently.    Whatever

I already spend too much time obsessing over Mike Brown and now "does he wipe his own ass?" is part of it.  Thanks. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 01:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, 100% probably had a decent amount to do with it. 

Wonderful post. So our window is the next 3 years before we're in that boat.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Burrow has had right knee issues for the latter part of the year. The SAME exact thing happened against the Titans. He got sacked and went down screaming in pain, limped off, and came back in. I think he originally hurt it in the Chiefs game.

Regardless, I don't know how he goes down like that in so much pain and there is nothing wrong with his knee...something has to be up. Whether its serious or not is another question.

I share your sentiment. Something is up.

Any updates?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 01:07 AM)GodFather Wrote: It wasn't Sewell or nothing. What drives me crazy is they could have gotten Chase like they did and then pick up better lineman via Free Agency. They also didn't have to trade down and settle with Carman. There were plenty of other options.

I remember after the draft and free agency so many people on here said it was enough and chastised anyone who said this line won't protect Burrow this season. Those people are also very quiet about that and have been all season.

Lets see some real change on the OL this upcoming FA. I want proven guys in here protecting our greatest asset, not just one signing and an unproven player from the draft. We need an overhaul.

Not disagreeing, I'd have loved to see us upgrade in fa. I think the biggest issue (and maybe one this season will fix) is that it's hard to attract top free agents to a loser, sometimes even if you're throwing gobs of money. A lot of guys don't want to hurt future contracts by signing a huge deal to a two win team and the only improvement is two more wins.

I think now that we showed what the team can do with some talent, it will help the next season or two to make guys think 'hey, I can get a big deal and a ring there.'
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 03:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wonderful post. So our window is the next 3 years before we're in that boat.

Hence the reason you can’t really “over spend” on the OL. You spend whatever you have too. Someone in another forum is saying not to over spend on a 30 YO lineman. In my opinion, who cares about 5 years from now? This team will be 50% overturned by then. So let’s take this current roster, upgrade 4-6 positions and run it back.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 03:42 PM)Benton Wrote: Not disagreeing, I'd have loved to see us upgrade in fa. I think the biggest issue (and maybe one this season will fix) is that it's hard to attract top free agents to a loser, sometimes even if you're throwing gobs of money. A lot of guys don't want to hurt future contracts by signing a huge deal to a two win team and the only improvement is two more wins.

I think now that we showed what the team can do with some talent, it will help the next season or two to make guys think 'hey, I can get a big deal and a ring there.'

The bengals also have to understand the market value of a G/C. They almost always lose out because they don’t agree with the value.
Reply/Quote