Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burrow Less than Stellar in debut
(09-15-2020, 01:07 AM)RASCAL Wrote: so effin what?

It’s a message board, you posted something, and I responded with my opinion. That’s how it works. I guess they didn’t teach that at OSU.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm a UK fan and it really pisses me off to see Dupree and Snell playing so well for Pitt. 

Going to the Steelers? Forget about it. Dead to me. Last year I was somewhat happy to see Kelce win the Super Bowl, but it certainly doesn’t get me all that hyped about it.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 11:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I saw a great college player not play up to his ability in his first NFL game and I did appreciate his candor that he admits the same.

^^

He will get better
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Yes, Burrow's debut was "less than stellar". But very few NFL rookie QBs have "stellar" debuts. And I doubt that any have done it in similar circumstances. Burrow's experience level with live snaps was roughly equivalent to a first or second preseason game.

All things considered, he did pretty well. He made some mistakes but weathered a first half where he was under a lot of pressure and then put them in a position to win at the end.

Excepting the handful of plays where made bad decisions under pressure, Burrow showed much better ball placement than we saw from Andy Dalton the majority of the time. Yeah, he slightly overthrew Green in endzone - that was a common problem from Dalton who always seemed hard pressed to make that throw. Alternately he would under-throw it, allowing the coverage to catch up.

He may have overthrown Ross in the endzone but we always heard that wasn't possible. It felt like Ross was giving his usual 90% effort. Not to mention his ridiculous bobble of a perfectly placed ball on the sideline.

Burrow showed that he isn't going to be satisfied with his performance unless he puts every throw in a good spot for the receiver. He showed excellent command of the offense and decision making considering his lack of experience. He showed that he can lead the team in critical situations and everyone trusts him like he's been at it for years. It's just one game but the signs are very encouraging. He needs to continue to progress and he knows it.

As for Chase Young. Whatever. You don't build a franchise around a defensive end.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 10:50 AM)Roland Wrote: Yes, Burrow's debut was "less than stellar". But very few NFL rookie QBs have "stellar" debuts. And I doubt that any have done it in similar circumstances. Burrow's experience level with live snaps was roughly equivalent to a first or second preseason game.

All things considered, he did pretty well. He made some mistakes but weathered a first half where he was under a lot of pressure and then put them in a position to win at the end.

Excepting the handful of plays where made bad decisions under pressure, Burrow showed much better ball placement than we saw from Andy Dalton the majority of the time. Yeah, he slightly overthrew Green in endzone - that was a common problem from Dalton who always seemed hard pressed to make that throw. Alternately he would under-throw it, allowing the coverage to catch up.

He may have overthrown Ross in the endzone but we always heard that wasn't possible. It felt like Ross was giving his usual 90% effort. Not to mention his ridiculous bobble of a perfectly placed ball on the sideline.

Burrow showed that he isn't going to be satisfied with his performance unless he puts every throw in a good spot for the receiver. He showed excellent command of the offense and decision making considering his lack of experience. He showed that he can lead the team in critical situations and everyone trusts him like he's been at it for years. It's just one game but the signs are very encouraging. He needs to continue to progress and he knows it.

As for Chase Young. Whatever. You don't build a franchise around a defensive end.

Well said, Roland. Rep

Reply/Quote
Sorry to jump in at page 6, but I am pretty sure I know what has been going on here.

First of all let me make it clear that BEFORE the game I posted that I would not panic of Burrow did not play well because he has never played a single snap against an NFL defense that was 1oo% trying to beat him up.  I am sure he will show major improvement over the course of the season.

But I will bet that the name of our former QB came up a few times and all the guys who were over the top on Burrow explained how it was so totally different when Joe missed a target or threw a stupid interception than when Andy did.  Or it was the O-line.  Or it was the receiver.  Or the sun was in his eyes.

Am I right?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 01:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ^^

He will get better

well yes he should with the bar set Sunday for sure
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 03:20 PM)pally Wrote:

The stats back up his evaluation, he did play poorly for 3 quarters.

I don't care if he is a rookie (if not ready they should have kept AD or signed a vet and let him learn from a vet), I don't care he had no preseason games, they are all just excuses.  

Take a page from the Joe Burrow book and hold him accountable when he plays bad, then when he plays well give his due.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 12:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm a UK fan and it really pisses me off to see Dupree and Snell playing so well for Pitt. 

I was screaming at the television during the draft for the Bengals to call Dupree's name. When the Steelers took him with the very next pick, I knew that would haunt us for years.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 03:20 PM)pally Wrote:

I mean, we basically got rid of a run game during that last drive. Maybe they should let Joe have more power, now.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to jump in at page 6, but I am pretty sure I know what has been going on here.

First of all let me make it clear that BEFORE the game I posted that I would not panic of Burrow did not play well because he has never played a single snap against an NFL defense that was 1oo% trying to beat him up.  I am sure he will show major improvement over the course of the season.

But I will bet that the name of our former QB came up a few times and all the guys who were over the top on Burrow explained how it was so totally different when Joe missed a target or threw a stupid interception than when Andy did.  Or it was the O-line.  Or it was the receiver.  Or the sun was in his eyes.

Am I right?

I do put Burrow at a higher standard as a rookie with the record breaking year in College.. consensus #1 pick in draft than say Dalton and others as a rookie QB so I was a bit more critical of his performance over the weekend and I did get a sense from many on the site that he is free of that critic being a rookie 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 10:50 AM)Roland Wrote: Yes, Burrow's debut was "less than stellar".  But very few NFL rookie QBs have "stellar" debuts.  And I doubt that any have done it in similar circumstances. Burrow's experience level with live snaps was roughly equivalent to a first or second preseason game.

All things considered, he did pretty well.  He made some mistakes but weathered a first half where he was under a lot of pressure and then put them in a position to win at the end.  

Excepting the handful of plays where made bad decisions under pressure, Burrow showed much better ball placement than we saw from Andy Dalton the majority of the time.  Yeah, he slightly overthrew Green in endzone - that was a common problem from Dalton who always seemed hard pressed to make that throw.  Alternately he would under-throw it, allowing the coverage to catch up.

He may have overthrown Ross in the endzone but we always heard that wasn't possible.  It felt like Ross was giving his usual 90% effort.  Not to mention his ridiculous bobble of a perfectly placed ball on the sideline.

Burrow showed that he isn't going to be satisfied with his performance unless he puts every throw in a good spot for the receiver. He showed excellent command of the offense and decision making considering his lack of experience. He showed that he can lead the team in critical situations and everyone trusts him like he's been at it for years.    It's just one game but the signs are very encouraging.  He needs to continue to progress and he knows it.

As for Chase Young.  Whatever.  You don't build a franchise around a defensive end.

I would disagree with your assessment of his performance. I thought he played poor, thought things he did at LSU especially accuracy were not there with some bad throws..  He did not perform to the level expected as #1 pick of the draft.. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  I will bet that the name of our former QB came up a few times and all the guys who were over the top on Burrow explained how it was so totally different when Joe missed a target or threw a stupid interception than when Andy did.  Or it was the O-line.  Or it was the receiver.  Or the sun was in his eyes.

Am I right?

Well, let's just say Ross and Hart were as bad as they were when Dalton was here and Burrow didn't go over to them and grab them by the facemask and scream at them until they got better.....yet!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 05:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, let's just say Ross and Hart were as bad as they were when Dalton was here and Burrow didn't go over to them and grab them by the facemask and scream at them until they got better.....yet!

I just hope he's the type to tell the coaching staff you're not using Ross right.
Reply/Quote
Is anyone seriously evaluating a rookie with no preseason and Bosa and company in his face all game?

Game 17 for the head jackass and he had no TOs less than halfway through the 4th qtr. If they had even one they probably win let alone two or God forbid three.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to jump in at page 6, but I am pretty sure I know what has been going on here.

Am I right?

Man life is unfair isn’t it? Why couldn’t Andy Dalton just be held to the same exact standards as a rookie playing in his first game, amirite?!

Reply/Quote
Alright folks, it's only been one game. Keep the posts on the topic at hand, and refrain from the personal attacks. Don't let emotion get the best of you, stay logical and talk about the Bengals and not each other.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 08:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Man life is unfair isn’t it? Why couldn’t  Andy Dalton just be held to the same exact standards as a rookie playing in his first game, amirite?!

Andy was but the point was it seemed you could not give criticism to Burrows performance and let's be honest many posts mentioned Burrow was better day one than a veteran Dalton so if that is true hell yes complain away.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 05:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I just hope he's the type to tell the coaching staff you're not using Ross right.

When multiple coaches don't use Ross right, Ross ain't very good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote