Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow , MVP?
(01-02-2022, 10:05 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I don't think they'll ever change that, as you can dink and dunk your way to a higher rating than the guys who are regularly taking shots down the field.

A lot of people think that but it's not really true. YPA is 1/3 of what goes into it.

Tua and Huntley are good examples of that. 70.1 and 68.8 comp% but only 7.1 and 5.9 ypa for ratings of 94 and 89. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Zac needs a game ball.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 09:34 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: There is still 1 game left, if Burrow plays, he may throw for 1000. We really can't predict what this fool can do! He is worse than Jordan at taking things personally. Imagine passing leader who did not make pro bowl.

Burrow was 2nd only to Rodgers in QB rating heading into today.  That gap is going to close more 7nless Rodgers goes nuts.  

In terms of yards, Burrow was 6th hrading into today. Brady was leading and had 410 today.  

1. Brady 4,990 (682)  
2. Stafford 4,648 (569)
3. Carr 4,618 (590)
4. Burrow 4,611  (520)
5. Mahomes 4,569 (614) 

Brady would have to sit the last game. 380 vs the Browns is asking a lot. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Zac needs a game ball.

Pretty sure he's got enough balls already. Dude keeps swinging the damn things around every week.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:38 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Burrow was 2nd only to Rodgers in QB rating heading into today.  That gap is going to close more 7nless Rodgers goes nuts.  

In terms of yards, Burrow was 6th hrading into today. Brady was leading and had 410 today.  

1. Brady 4,990 (682)  
2. Stafford 4,648 (569)
3. Carr 4,618 (590)
4. Burrow 4,611  (520)
5. Mahomes 4,569 (614) 

Brady would have to sit the last game. 380 vs the Browns is asking a lot. 

Herbert is 20 yards ahead of Burrow as well. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It's a long shot due to that stretch where we were feeding Mixon.... but honestly Burrow fits the definition of MVP. Take this guy away and I'm scared where we would be
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Herbert is 20 yards ahead of Burrow as well. 

If they bench Burrow next week, there goes his 5 banger.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A lot of people think that but it's not really true. YPA is 1/3 of what goes into it.

Tua and Huntley are good examples of that. 70.1 and 68.8 comp% but only 7.1 and 5.9 ypa for ratings of 94 and 89. 

It's 1/4, not 1/3.

The 4 factors are YPA (as you already stated), completion %, TDs per attempt, and INTs per attempt.  The higher completion percentage of a dink and dunk offense, combined with the lower INT ratio that comes with the safer short passes, can help to offset the yards per attempt.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:42 PM)QueenCity Wrote: It's a long shot due to that stretch where we were feeding Mixon.... but honestly Burrow fits the definition of MVP. Take this guy away and I'm scared where we would be

With a few exceptions, that is the case for all teams and their starting QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Herbert is 20 yards ahead of Burrow as well. 

I knew I forgot somebody. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:42 PM)QueenCity Wrote: It's a long shot due to that stretch where we were feeding Mixon.... but honestly Burrow fits the definition of MVP. Take this guy away and I'm scared where we would be

4-12

We need a better back up QB
Reply/Quote
I think today helped him more in Comeback Player or the Year
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:45 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It's 1/4, not 1/3.

The 4 factors are YPA (as you already stated), completion %, TDs per attempt, and INTs per attempt.  The higher completion percentage of a dink and dunk offense, combined with the lower INT ratio that comes with the safer short passes, can help to offset the yards per attempt.

Sorry, trying to do too many things at once. 

Just to shorten this discussion up a bit, do me a favor and give me some examples of dink and dunkers that are near the top in passer ratings. Say anyone in the top 10ish.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think today helped him more in Comeback Player or the Year

Cowboys lost, too.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sorry, trying to do too many things at once. 

Just to shorten this discussion up a bit, do me a favor and give me some examples of dink and dunkers that are near the top in passer ratings. Say anyone in the top 10ish.

I wasn't saying there is one right now.

In fact, I can't even think of any teams running that type of system right now.  But that wasn't the point.  The point was you CAN have a high rating in that type of offense.  In fact, that was one of the main reasons they came up with the formula in the first place, so they could compare the seasons of different QBs without having to figure in the offensive system.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I wasn't saying there is one right now.

In fact, I can't even think of any teams running that type of system right now.  But that wasn't the point.  The point was you CAN have a high rating in that type of offense.  In fact, that was one of the main reasons they came up with the formula in the first place, so they could compare the seasons of different QBs without having to figure in the offensive system.

Well, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on the dink and dunkers then cause i looked back several years and you won't find any. 

I do get what you're saying cause i've seen others post similarly...but in the course of the year, if a guy is just dropping it off mostly, he's going to have a higher (slightly, maybe, with where comp%s are nowadays) percentage, should have a lower int rate but unless they throw a lot in the redzone, he's not going to get a lot of td passes. 

It sounds legit in theory, but it doesn't stand up to reality. 

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:25 PM)pally Wrote:

[Image: FIIPISMXEAI-UN_?format=jpg&name=large]

This one is going to be part of his story…

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 11:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: FIIPISMXEAI-UN_?format=jpg&name=large]

This one is going to be part of his story…
Our no name Franchise QB!!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2022, 10:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sorry, trying to do too many things at once. 

Interestingly enough...Mahomes and Herbert don't have favorable intended air yards per attempt metrics. Mahomes is 25th and Herbert is 23rd. Rodgers is 17th, Brady is 14th. I'm not sure what the best way to quantify a dink-and-dunker is, so I am not saying you're wrong but I am genuinely surprised that these guys are this low in air yards per attempt. 

Tons of context to those throws, though, so the discussion could be fleshed out. This where I am getting that data from. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing_advanced.htm
Reply/Quote