Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Burrow Wrist Injury
Got to love Bengal fans. Not only are they smarter than NFL coaches and general managers, but they also know more than doctors.
Reply/Quote
I feel like there was a Bengals player who struggled to come back from a wrist injury. Sound familiar to anyone? I cant think of who, but seem to think it ended up being worse then we thought. Rivers? Eifert? Perry? Jeanty?

Seems like we should be more familiar with how tricky these are based on something that happened in the past. Something that's stuck with me and made me think wrists are a significant injury. More significant then one would think.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 01:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: I feel like there was a Bengals player who struggled to come back from a wrist injury. Sound familiar to anyone? I cant think of who, but seem to think it ended up being worse then we thought. Rivers? Eifert? Perry? Jeanty?

Seems like we should be more familiar with how tricky these are based on something that happened in the past. Something that's stuck with me and made me think wrists are a significant injury. More significant then one would think.

I think the real answer here is "it depends". There are so many factors that can make an injury simple or complex and it's not necessarily based on which joint is injured. At the same time, in my experience, rehabbing shoulders is harder than rehabbing wrists. Shoulders are a ball and socket joint with more degrees of freedom than the wrist, so there's more range of motion to be regained and more planes of motion to strengthening through. Plus you have to worry about shoulder blade mechanics and postural retraining. I was relieved when it was confirmed a wrist and not a shoulder. Again, though, the real answer is probably "it depends". 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 11:55 AM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow was hurt numerous times throughout college. One of the reasons he never saw the field until 2018. His injury history is extensive.

This is a significant injury to his throwing wrist. We won't see Burrow on the field until September 2024. I get folks wishful thinking but a minimum 4 weeks was never realistic. These wrist injuries are tricky.

my post was a response to LSU from the LSU poster.. though now adding his history before LSU and all the injuries he is having in short career so far in NFL, we do really need to see if we can get a good veteran QB in offseason to compete for starting job if Burrow is out, the team is good enough to compete without Burrow so we need to start planning that way
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 06:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He said no issues, ortho guy on the radio said 9-12 months. 

I honestly think it depends on severity. Is it just torn? Is it a complete rupture? That matters. At this point, we have no idea if it’s just torn if it’s full on rupture.

A torn ligament and a ruptured ligament are the same. (Kinda like a broken bone and a fracture are the same.) They are both grade III sprains. A partial tear is grade II.

https://www.physio-pedia.com/Ligament_Sprain

Quote:Grade I - structural damage only on microscopic level, with slight local tenderness and without joint instability.[1]
Grade II - partial tear (rupture) of the ligament, visible swelling and noticeable tenderness, but without joint instability (or with mild instability).[1]
Grade III - a severe sprain: complete rupture of the ligament with significant swelling and with instability of the joint.[1]

When you hear a player has a grade III sprain the ligament is completely torn or ruptured.

Most NFL teams don’t report that level of specificity. So fans hear “sprain” and think the player should be back in 2 weeks. Whereas a grade III sprain will takes months and can be treated surgically or nonsurgically given the situation and patient preference.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 11:55 AM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow was hurt numerous times throughout college. One of the reasons he never saw the field until 2018. His injury history is extensive.

This is a significant injury to his throwing wrist. We won't see Burrow on the field until September 2024. I get folks wishful thinking but a minimum 4 weeks was never realistic. These wrist injuries are tricky.

Two. Over a span of five years. Completely unrelated to each other. Only missed time due to one.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 03:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: my post was a response to LSU from the LSU poster.. though now adding his history before LSU and all the injuries he is having in short career so far in NFL, we do really need to see if we can get a good veteran QB in offseason to compete for starting job if Burrow is out, the team is good enough to compete without Burrow so we need to start planning that way

Browning is listed with 1 year of experience on the Bengals roster. So he will be an ERFA (exclusive rights free agent) this offseason and we can keep him for vet minimum and then a RFA (restricted free agent) the following year where a tender would be relatively cheap. Hopefully he wins a bunch of games and we have our backup QB for the next couple years on the cheap.

Make or break chance for Browning and his time in the NFL. And from the way he is talking he realizes the opportunity he has. It'd be nice if he is the solution at backup QB.

Drunk
Reply/Quote
Joe injured his calf just running.. The league needs to ban running. Let's have a moment of silence that he wasn't running with scissors! or a BB gun.. He'd have put someone's eye out then! That was Andy's undoing.. Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote